oh sh$#..dibs!

xcaptainxbloodx

Been Around the Block
http://www.bikeexif.com/moto-guzzi-v7-clubman-racer

MOTO GUZZI V7 CLUBMAN RACER

moto_guzzi_v7_clubman_racer.jpg

Everyone assumed that Ducati would be the star of this year’s Italian motorcycle show. Especially when MV Agusta and Aprilia offered little more than facelifts and upgrades. But yesterday, Moto Guzzi comprehensively trumped all its neighbors—stunning journalists and visitors alike. The Mandello company revealed three futuristic ‘V12’ concepts co-created by Pierre Terblanche—ironically the designer of the Ducati Hypermotard—and then went even better with the V7 Classic Clubman Racer.
The Clubman Racer is more our kind of bike than any other launched at EICMA, and it’s a significant bike too: it’s the closest any manufacturer has come to capturing the raw, stripped back and funked-up feel of a true café racer. Best of all, it’s production-ready and it’s going on sale. The detailing looks perfect, with a traditional red frame, fork gaiters, bar-end mirrors and drilled side panels. The heat-wrap on the Arrow exhaust is aesthetically debatable, but what the hell—it roughens up the styling a little. The Bitubo shocks with piggyback reservoirs should tame the standard V7’s occasionally choppy rear end. And replacing the regular Metzeler Lasertec tires with Pirelli Demon Sports should improve the handling still further. Power is unchanged, and is unlikely to change given the inherent restrictions of the 750 cc small block cylinder head design. But that’s fine by us: the V7 has sublime balance, and thrillseekers have the 900 cc Triumphs (or what’s left of the Ducati SportClassic range) to choose from.
Guzzi is also saying that many of the Clubman Racer parts will be sold separately as accessories, so they can be retro-fitted to the regular V7 Classic—a sign that the smart accessory marketing practiced by Triumph and BMW has reached Mandello at last. It finally seems that Moto Guzzi is stepping up a gear, looking back at its illustrious heritage and forward to its future.

definitely needs some bits removed/modified but for a production "cafe" bike Id say they definitely got the attitude right.

You too hey!! Got that in my inbox this morning. Bin the screen, side covers and muffler, get rid of those stupid numbers, switch the seat and you got yourself a golden bike.

Looks good, but somehow I think you could build a sweat cafe racer from an older Moto Guzzi for a third of the cost of that V7.

Yeah, looks a little too "Buy this Lifestyle" for my taste. And I'm partial to the older guzzis.

:eek: That looks like a very good place to start.
I'd rock a quarter fairing, a different seat, change numberplate to sidecover and 59 it. And i would have to paint the tank.
HMmmm where's my local dealer ::)

Nice bike, these are the only problems I have with it:

1: It has number plates as if it's being raced, kinda lame unless it actually is being raced.

2: The pipe wrap, why wrap a brand new exhaust that's not routed under your leg or somewhere where you need protection from the heat? I hate it when people try to make something nice look ratty.

Because the pipe wrap is not an appearance item though it's been adopted as such by many. It's primary function it to keep the heat in the pipes, it makes it less likely to burn you, but it really *should be* used to keep the exhaust charge as hot as possible to support velocity and flow. I had a well educated old timer equate it to 1/8" larger pipes that won't kill your bottom end.

As well, chances are better that the stuff will be properly installed vs. what most guys end up with....

Swagger said:
It's primary function it to keep the heat in the pipes, it makes it less likely to burn you, but it really *should be* used to keep the exhaust charge as hot as possible to support velocity and flow. I had a well educated old timer equate it to 1/8" larger pipes that won't kill your bottom end.

Ahh, so that's the technical reason. I had wondered why as i was sure it wasn't just for looks.

Swagger said:
brings up a line of htought worth of it's own thread.....
I wouldn't bother. It seems as though two people having polar opinions on this website just starts a sh*t fight, and header wrapping would definitely polarise people.

Seems like you could get the same result with ceramic coating or something but I can't say since I have never done it.

Swagger said:
Because the pipe wrap is not an appearance item though it's been adopted as such by many. It's primary function it to keep the heat in the pipes, it makes it less likely to burn you, but it really *should be* used to keep the exhaust charge as hot as possible to support velocity and flow. I had a well educated old timer equate it to 1/8" larger pipes that won't kill your bottom end

As well, chances are better that the stuff will be properly installed vs. what most guys end up with....

I've used both in combination as neither is a perfect solution for heat control on it's own, the combination is fairly effective. I can hold the primary barehanded on my weekend toy (Dodge Neon autocrosser) after running to full temp. I had the header JettHott coated which seems like nice heat proof powdercoating though apparently there's a measurable drop is surface and radiated temps....I still wouldn't grab on. With that and a single layer of wrap it's do-able. It's still toasty and those with delicate digits may not want to try that particular parlor trick.

SO.....if I bought one of these, would I have to put a single color paint job; goofy handlebars; and a two up seat, to be CUSTOM?

Correct. Then park it in your garage, put a cover on it, and 40 years from now your grandkids can put the old parts back on it and they will have a mint condition vintage cafe racer.

Back
Top Bottom