CB750 Brat bobber Imitation, CRD Inspired

Truly a master piece! i don't know how i missed it.
CRD are my inspiration too, but i still have a long way to go.
May i ask how did you cleaned the engine outside and ot it so "new" looking? did you took it apart completely?
and what paint did you use on it?

THX
Eran

eran_k said:
Truly a master piece! i don't know how i missed it.
CRD are my inspiration too, but i still have a long way to go.
May i ask how did you cleaned the engine outside and ot it so "new" looking? did you took it apart completely?
and what paint did you use on it?

THX
Eran

Thanks for the kind words.

As I had the engine running for a while before starting the build, I only intended on refreshing the top end, so I didn't want to split the crankcases. I made blanking plates for the exhaust ports and bungs for the inlet ports, also sealed both crankcase breathers. As it is too large to fit in my blasting cabinet I blasted it outside on tarp sheet over a wall of 3 pallets to minimize the dust blowing everywhere, luckily theres no one else close by to me.

I used Techcote case paint on the crankcases and barrels, but I wont recommend it as it wipes off when petrol comes into contact with it. I wanted to use PJ1 but we cant get over here anymore. The outer covers are powder coated a fine flat black.

No, I had to glass bead as there was some thick paint on there and over here soda is £40 for 25Kg

Didas42 said:
Is that the stock Rear rim you started out with? I'm having a hard time finding that style Comstar.

The bike was originally an F model. I had to convert the swingarm to take a drum braked KZ/KA rear wheel The 1st DOHC K's came with spokes but later with comstars. I believe the CX's also had 18" drum braked comstars.

Amazing build!

You said you used a Shorai battery, did you use the recommended one (LFX14L5-BS12)? I haven't measured anything, but I'm wondering if that battery fits in the slot under the tank you used.

I'm using your bike as my inspiration, thanks for all the amazing pictures!

I used the L2 format rather than the suggested L5 its the same battery in a smaller package. If you are using a F bike there is not enough room under the tank so you might have to drop the battery a bit lower. If its a K series you should be ok. Mine was and F and I used a K tank and moved the tank mount.

Thank you for the quick reply. I do have an F tank. I thought fit might be an issue, so I was thinking about raising the back on the tank half an inch or so. I haven't measured yet, so I might have to make more changes but I'm hoping that would allow enough room for the battery/electronics.

Nice work - really tastefully done. Did you end up cutting down your front forks or did you get enough rise out of the hagons/shock risers? How are those shock risers working out for you?

fink said:
Nice work - really tastefully done. Did you end up cutting down your front forks or did you get enough rise out of the hagons/shock risers? How are those shock risers working out for you?

Front forks were shortened internally by 45mm and the hagons are on homemade risers that are 35mm tall.

Forks were done as per these instructions
http://www.xs650chopper.com/2009/06/mulligan-machine-lower-your-xs650-forks-low-buck-garage-tech/

Homemade shock risers

8221940044_6d24d5bd41.jpg

Npr00 said:
Are your foot peg brackets stock? If not, do you mind sharing where you got them?

They are not stock to my frame as mine is a modified 1980 CB750FA, The footrests are from a 1979 or 80 CB750KA or Z the one with Comstars. I think the first KZ you got in the USA had wire wheels and different footpegs than what we got in the UK and Europe.

The USA & Canada got these that fit direct to the frame
honda-cb750k-750-four-k-1979-usa-step-cb750k-79-82_bighu0116f5z20_b8ed.gif

Europe got these
honda-cb750kz-1979-four-england-step-e-ed-f-g-u_bigma000089f20_ecfb.gif

Notlob,

Amazing build. Love the cleanliness of that upper triple. What did you end up doing with the fusebox? And where did you get those bar risers?

bananas said:
Notlob,

Amazing build. Love the cleanliness of that upper triple. What did you end up doing with the fusebox? And where did you get those bar risers?

Thanks bananas,
Bar risers are friom a CB550 if I remember correctly just had to shape top clamp a little. The fuse box is under the front of the seat. There are more photo's here that show it
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bwfc59/

Notlob, how's that shorai battery treating you? I've read these cb750's have charging issues, so I was wondering if the smaller (at least in size) battery was giving you any issues.

Npr00 said:
Notlob, how's that shorai battery treating you? I've read these cb750's have charging issues, so I was wondering if the smaller (at least in size) battery was giving you any issues.
I dont have the bike now I sold it to fund my current project. Whilst I had it it gave me no trouble at all. The weakness of the charging system on the CB is the rotor and field coil, mostly the rotor breaking down which results in less rather more voltage.

Great looking bike. I need to really read through this thread. I just picked up a 79 cb750 limited edition and I've been looking at CRD bikes for inspiration. You nailed it! Hope I can pick up some good pointers from you.

Back
Top Bottom