Beachcomber's TR1 - now "Cafe-Creme" Boardtracker 'ish

Hahaaaaaa it's mine all mine ........................... ;D

KGrHqRqoE-ZJsHVzBPqrJsmZLg60_12.jpg

Stroker, must be easily pleased at my age - I was like a 5 year old at Christmas when my bid won!

What is important to me is that I have found I CAN think outside the 1960's Cafe Racer stereotype. That in a way has made me even more determined that my TR1 "Vindicator"
Cafe Racer will be as faithfull to the 60's as I can make it.

I've pretty well convinced myself to buy the spare Grimeca 4LS front hub/brake from my pal - even though it will represent more outlay than the rest of the bike put together !

The more I get into the Cafe-Creme project - the more my old creative juices are flowing - again, just like when I was a youth.

The Autojumble is in 2 week's time - I have some specific ideas for other Vintage parts [ car ] that might look the biz.

I hope to be looking at options for the frame by the end of the month - I've a couple of pals who could do the job with no problem. The tank still remains the main cost - again like the Grimeca for the CR - just got to grit the teeth and pay out what's required - probably 4 week's pension money !

Thanx everyone for the interest and more important - the input, keep it coming.

beachcomber, if I came across a classic 4LS brake I would build a bike around it!

Don't see too many of them around these days - come to think of didn't see too many of them here in Oz back when!

Crazy

Hear you Swivel - just spoke to my pal AC who has TWO brand new Grimecas.

Here's the story - Grimeca fell foul of the EU monetory crisis and have gone into receivership. The UK distributor had 4 left from the last order - we [ ie RAM ] bought 2. They're ALL gone now and little chance of them being put back into production for a year or so - if ever.

I've now done a "mates rates" deal with AC [ a pal of 40+ years ] whereby it will cost me my consultancy expertise for one unit - not hard cash. Ye olde barter system. Last listed price was £750 per unit. Trade [ for min. 2 ] was £500 each.

Amazingly the hub fits straight into the TR1 forks [ !! ] with the spindle they include. AC's guys have already made up brake torque stays, speedo drive and etc., so it's good to go. Be rude not to, wouldn't it ?

Crazy - yep, I once built a race car around a pair of Gapp and Roush cylinder heads !!!!

fronthub.jpg

Swivel said:
Good to see that the drum cost is not going to bring the project to a screaming halt and brake the bank.I've run out of bad brake humor and have come to screeching halt.....

Nice one Swivel, nice one.

Latest item - hopefully.

Old Solid Brass aircraft "Smiths of Cricklewood" 4" clock.

Plan is remove guts, have a new period face [ Cream with Coffee text ] made and put the 4" Speedo guts inside.

KGrHqRHJBgE-Qyj9ZQBPq3BcbVlQ60_12.jpg

KGrHqNHJsE-gEWhe17BPq3BZ3L760_12.jpg

KGrHqRHJBwE-dspTE4EBPq3Bn1RrQ60_12.jpg

Nice detail! ................ look forward to seeing the finished unit..........

The seller just sent me the o/a dimensions and the TR1 speedo guts will fit right inside the Brass case ! ;D

That makes life a lot easier. We [ RAM ] already deal with a guy who refurbs old Jaguar speedos and rev. counters and he'll make up faces to your design.

KGrHqZHJBIE-eW3ZCBPrF9wp4g60_12.jpg

Latest piece for the parts pile .......... Solid Brass reverse levers. These are the shortie [ 3" ] versions. The brake cable will run inside the bars and down to the remote ATE BMW R80 brake master cylinder and I'll try to make the brake pipes as unobtrusive as possible. Why not drum brake? .. see above Turbo !!!!

Oh yes - I won the 4" Brass Aircraft clock £31 [ $55? ]. More than I wanted to pay, but less than I would have !!!!! ;) Oh yes, so were the levers ::)

KGrHqNnUE-wmoCICBPs--dT4LQ60_12.jpg

KGrHqRHJDoE-PBe-SSLBPq3BoEUg60_12.jpg

The guy I bought the Smiths clock from is clearing out a lifetime's collection [ father and son ] and has some more cases in this style 2" - 3" ;D ;D

I'm thinking - turbo boost gauge, oil pressure gauge ........................

No turning back now ! [ apart from the mileometer ;)]

A quick measure up shows that the Yam guts will fit inside with room to spare.

The guy who sold me the Brass clock reckons he has several smaller gauges in the same Brass design - fingers crossed

Picture058.jpg

I dropped the lazer cut exhaust flanges off today to the exhaust guy. All looking good. We've decided to go with 48mm St.St.tube for the Vindicator, and may use the same basis for Cafe Creme. Either way, we were discussing the turbo arrangement, and while we were at it, he asked who was doing the frame for the Boardtracker. I said I hadn't found anyone yet [ ie cheap enough! ] and he volunteered.!

He's really into cars, but has taken a real interest in my 2 projects [ especially the Turbo'd Cafe Creme ] as Turbo car systems are his main line business [ mostly Porsche ].

That's another piece of the jigsaw - now if I can find a tame tin basher to make the tank ???????

beachcomber said:
No turning back now ! [ apart from the mileometer ;)]

I know this is such a dumb question: whats the best way to do that? Pull the wheels apart and realign?

It's a pain !!!

There's a pair of "ears" that are bent over at each end of the main spindle. These have to be bent back out so the counter drum can be removed. Then it's a simple [ !! ] matter of removing the individual drums and replacing them all to zero. AFTER that the little ears must be bent back over to trap the spindle.

ALL THAT'S ASSUMING THE BASTARDS DON'T BREAK OFF ! Fortunately I had a spare speedo to play with, and I guess I'll find some method of securing the spindle.

Another parts for the pile.

I was looking through my old Turbo stuff in the garage the other day - actually looking for my old Drag Race MSD parts - retarders, rev limiters etc., and I came across an old manual Boost control. Too far gone to use - so I looked on my favourite electronic shopping mall. ALL the items from UK suppliers were in the £40 -£60 region [ $100 - $140]. Then I found this little gem - yes all the way from China. Price?.......£7.00 including carriage - that's $17 'ish !

When I checked the UK suppliers - some were offering EXACTLY the same item for the £40 +.......what can you say ?

Picture063.jpg

Finally got into the Brass Clock today - first off, the measurements the guy gave me must have been with an elastic ruler ! He gave me 4 1/2" dia and 4" deep.

It's actully 3" dia an 3" deep !!! Futtox and ballderdollox. IOW - there's no way the Yam speedo guts will go inside. I dismantled the case completely to see if I could at least use the Brass bezel, and even that's a non starter. So, looks like back to plan A with the Vincent style 4 1/2" clock. I'll see if I can get the turbo boost gauge or oil pressure gauge inside the brass clock case.

The 3" brass reverse levers arrived and they are excellent quality - OK made in India, but a fraction of the price of chromed versions here in the UK.

It's back to plan "A".

I've measured the 4 1/2" Vincent style speedo for clearance, and the Yam guts will fit in. I'm speaking to the guy that refurbs the Jaguar speedos for Realm's C Type Jags to check if the Jaguar gears might be compatible with the Yamaha sender. That will be so much easier as all I have to do is have a new face made [ Coffee / Cream ].

Picture062.jpg

Back
Top Bottom