71 CL350 Cafe Time for the build thread![A New Look]

Re: 71 CL350 Cafe Time for the build thread!

HAHA, ok, right now I'm getting a good laugh at myself. At no point in time did I think to measure the length of the front forks. So last night I got my rear tire on and was stoked at how she looked. My friend came over and said "that's bad ass! Let's mock it up with the front wheel and see she sits". So we did and the front was SUPER tall. Turns out these EX500 forks are 31.5 inches as opposed to stock 28 inches. So I have to drop the front end a few inches and that is impossible with the stock EX500 bars. So, currently I'm on the look out for some 37mm clip ons. I guess in the back of my mind that's what I really wanted anyway.

Dang! That sure is a perdy motor.

4435947585_9a9d27b2f8_o.jpg

Couple little updates. I got the CBR rear sets mounted. Love how they look. Also got the tires mounted and put on the rear. I think it looks badass! My front rotor will be here today so I can get the front wheel mounted as well. I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Very exciting.

4440832520_8d9bf9aae2_b.jpg

4440832084_36681d70e8_b.jpg

Looking real good man, I just caught up on this thread. The original paint scheme on that tank is one of my favorites and it hurt a little to see you erase it but your alterations look really good so I'll live. Rear shocks look good too. How did you clean them up and paint them? did you take them apart? If not fill me in!

diesel450 said:
Looking real good man, I just caught up on this thread. The original paint scheme on that tank is one of my favorites and it hurt a little to see you erase it but your alterations look really good so I'll live. Rear shocks look good too. How did you clean them up and paint them? did you take them apart? If not fill me in!

Yep, I took them apart. It was easier then I thought actually. Thanks for the feedback. I'll be rigging up the front wheel tonight. More pics tomorrow hopefully.

alright so how'd you do it? take em' apart I mean. ;D

diesel450 said:
alright so how'd you do it? take em' apart I mean. ;D

Pretty ghetto actually. I pushed the top of the shock tower against my work bench with my body to compress the spring and used a pair of needle nosed pliers to pull out the keeper and release the spring. Did it in reverse to put them back together.

W00t! Front wheel and brake are on. I just blows my mind how versatile these bikes are. This front set up is such a hodge podge of parts but it works beautifully. I had to make the receiver for the speedo drive out of parts from the original CB360 one and a new receiver for the EX500. Amazingly it worked great. I also had to grind the rivets off of the 360 rotor and replace it with the proper rotor for the EX500 caliper. Again to great success. Very good night in the garage last night. I should have dropped the motor in but the Jameson was flowing in celebration and I figured it'd be wise to wait until tonight.

4442548131_acfc01cab6_b.jpg

4443325212_9510faab0d_b.jpg

djelliott said:
Pretty ghetto actually. I pushed the top of the shock tower against my work bench with my body to compress the spring and used a pair of needle nosed pliers to pull out the keeper and release the spring. Did it in reverse to put them back together.

Oh man. that could have ended so differently ::)
You're one lucky hombre dude.

bikeboy said:
Oh man. that could have ended so differently ::)
You're one lucky hombre dude.

HAHA, I know. occasionally brut force and sheer stupidity work to get the job done. I put them back together the same way ;D.

Yeah, I sort of tried to figure out what you did, maybe I'm not stupid enough? ;D No, I'm sure that's not it.

I'm going to run mine to the Harley shop around the corner and see if they'll do it for me.

diesel450 said:
Yeah, I sort of tried to figure out what you did, maybe I'm not stupid enough? ;D No, I'm sure that's not it.

I'm going to run mine to the Harley shop around the corner and see if they'll do it for me.

Be careful, they HD tech may burst into flames if he touches any parts that dont have an eagle on them, or cost less than $500. Stand clear. :D

VonYinzer said:
Be careful, they HD tech may burst into flames if he touches any parts that dont have an eagle on them, or cost less than $500. Stand clear. :D

yeah, after touching such heathen motorcycle parts they all need to put their hands over there hearts and say 10 ride to lives.

I'm wearing my leather vest in so I should be okay. I'll tell em its my "foreign" neighbors bike.

diesel450 said:
I'm wearing my leather vest in so I should be okay. I'll tell em its my "foreign" neighbors bike.

yeah, and tell them "can you believe he was going to take this off by pressing it against his workbench? What a jackass". :p

ha ha ha ha
you guys are crackin me up!

True story:
Theres a big HD dealership here that also sells Hondas. When I was putting my old 500 together I was looking for some small bits and wanted to see if they could get them for me. I called and the girl at the parts desk didnt even know where the books for the Honda parts were. She told me that I would have to come in and look through their books once they found them because no-one there was "into" the Hondas. Especially anything that was "you know... old like that". I went in (why I dont know) and the guy I talked to just looked at me like I had three heads, and all of em' were fucking retarded. After staring blankly, he pointed at a Sportster and told me "well, I have no idea what your looking for, but if you want to buy a real bike, thats on sale. Its kind of a girls bike, but your used to that if you like those old Jap rides..." Im guessing he was making a joke, since he instantly started cracking up. I wasnt amused.

VonYinzer said:
ha ha ha ha
you guys are crackin me up!

True story:
Theres a big HD dealership here that also sells Hondas. When I was putting my old 500 together I was looking for some small bits and wanted to see if they could get them for me. I called and the girl at the parts desk didnt even know where the books for the Honda parts were. She told me that I would have to come in and look through their books once they found them because no-one there was "into" the Hondas. Especially anything that was "you know... old like that". I went in (why I dont know) and the guy I talked to just looked at me like I had three heads, and all of em' were fucking retarded. After staring blankly, he pointed at a Sportster and told me "well, I have no idea what your looking for, but if you want to buy a real bike, thats on sale. Its kind of a girls bike, but your used to that if you like those old Jap rides..." Im guessing he was making a joke, since he instantly started cracking up. I wasnt amused.

Ah yes, the old "girls bike" thing that they like to say. Let me tell you. I have a 125cc scooter that I hot rodded the shit out of to do 80+ MPH. I catch flack from MC folks all the time on it. I always say "nothing says don't fuck with me like a guy whose perfectly comfortable doing freeway speeds on a tiny ass bike". On a HOG that ain't shit. A "girl" could do that no problem. On 10in wheels it becomes a pucker moment for sure. I road that scooter on the dragon and totally destroyed these two dudes on brand new BMW's. Made the featured blog on killboy.com too.

img_7937.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_LxZ4Mi3rR3Q/Si9A9IrtXHI/AAAAAAAAXOA/vMAio6Ext28/s1600-h/img_7937.jpg

Thats cool!

My return comment to them is always "Nice bike, Sorry bout your dick though."

Part of the reason I went with an orange and black color scheme on my R5 is that that little two stroke is going to surprise some HD riders light to light and then their beards will smell like two stroke the rest of the day. ;D

Back
Top Bottom