Georgia is screwed!

Yay! The morning it was snowing, I lost my internet when the power flucuated. I am now at work and accessing the internet there. It took me about 30 min to get my patrol car out this afternoon to get to work. Yay! 13 hours of working people's wrecks! BOOOOOO Stay safe guys!

Look up northern Indiana and "lake effect". Lake Effect is the worst words to hear during the winter for most people. I snowboard and drive with winter tires so it's no big deal. We had 2 feet in 1 day a couple of weeks ago. That's not too bad. The final blow to the head was 50+ mph winds for 2 days. Today we get another 6". Chicago people are calling the hotel and asking if the restaurant is open because of the "storm". I laugh occasionally when people ask if it's bad. I just tell them it's a little more fun over here.

Up north it is possible to go about daily business with heaps of snow. Driving over the powder is much easier than driving through the slush we have down here. Each day, the temperatures rise just enough to let the snow melt and compress on the roads. Each night the temps drop and freeze it to the point that people can literally ice skate in the streets (happened today). Compound these bipolar weather effects with a lack of wintry mix experience, and all hell breaks loose.

I know the rest of the country is having a ball making fun of the South at our expense (again). CNN went so far as posting pictures of a local Wal-Mart with empty shelves, with the headline that Georgia was bracing for the snowstorm and there was a mad dash to stock up. The reality was that the deli section was simply being restocked that night (as they do each week). The truth was not a manic rush to buy everything and stock up. That's TV news sources for ya.

Blake said:
Up north it is possible to go about daily business with heaps of snow. Driving over the powder is much easier than driving through the slush we have down here. Each day, the temperatures rise just enough to let the snow melt and compress on the roads. Each night the temps drop and freeze it to the point that people can literally ice skate in the streets (happened today). Compound these bipolar weather effects with a lack of wintry mix experience, and all hell breaks loose.

I know the rest of the country is having a ball making fun of the South at our expense (again). CNN went so far as posting pictures of a local Wal-Mart with empty shelves, with the headline that Georgia was bracing for the snowstorm and there was a mad dash to stock up. The reality was that the deli section was simply being restocked that night (as they do each week). The truth was not a manic rush to buy everything and stock up. That's TV news sources for ya.

I read this and I have to chuckle. The reason they are making fun of Southerners driving in the snow is because they can't drive in adverse (ice, snow etc) conditions PERIOD. The road conditions you explain we face many many times over during the winter. I've only seen grass two days since thanksgiving but the road conditions here are always changing. They go from deep snow, slush, solid ice, bare roads and bare roads with patches of ice, etc, etc... you name it. It boils down to experience or lack there of in the south. And from what I've been told yes they do panic and buy out grocery items even though the "storm" and its effects are usually gone within a week ::) . I have a very good friend in Alabama and one of my sons living in Mississippi have both confirmed this to me just this week.

Sorry but now I've started...
Ok, some 'Northerners' don't have much room to talk as well. Look at NYC and what a mess that was. The finger pointing was, if not sad, halarious. What would people do if no one was there to plow and salt the roads, ever? What if the truck didn't make it to Walmart to deliver milk and bread for a month or two? We are turning into a spoiled rotten nation who's forgotten how to take care of ourselves. It drives me crazy to watch the madness. I grew up where we lived on a main road but back then the roads weren't maintained like some areas are today. I can remember my father wading through deep snow five miles (I'm not kidding) to an area where roads were open so he could catch a ride the rest of the way to work. He had to repeat the process to return home that evening. I can remember this going on for a week at a time. Many times it was our responsibility to get ourselves to school. Today I live on a different road two miles from town with aprox 150 homesites on our road. Last year we received 230" of snow but our road was plowed only twice. My wife only missed one day of work due to snow. I realize the conditions I'm talking about might be considered extreme to some but damn... I'm not trying to step on toes but its almost embarrasing how helpless we seem to have become. Oh how much nicer the world would be if we were a little more self reliant. Sorry for my rant

Its not just the inexperience of the drivers down here, but the lack of proper equipment too. There is no way to properly clear the snow here. It turned to slush today, and now it is 3 to 4" of solid ice. WOW! I just tried driving into a neighborhood on a 30 to 35 degree incline. Not happening. Even with the studded tires was it working. Oh well.

My wife just told me 49 states currently has snow on the ground. Hawaii is the only one without...WTF??????
snow covering some 69.4 percent of the contiguous United States. Looking at that map is spooky

03rangerxlt said:
Its not just the inexperience of the drivers down here, but the lack of proper equipment too. There is no way to properly clear the snow here. It turned to slush today, and now it is 3 to 4" of solid ice. WOW! I just tried driving into a neighborhood on a 30 to 35 degree incline. Not happening. Even with the studded tires was it working. Oh well.
Toss some weight in the ass of that thing. Go grab some cinderblocks from Lowes and keep filling until it the trunk is full. Then try that incline again with a little run. Might want to hit the lights and siren first to warn the women and childern to stand the hell back hahaha

troybilt said:
Toss some weight in the ass of that thing. Go grab some cinderblocks from Lowes and keep filling until it the trunk is full. Then try that incline again with a little run. Might want to hit the lights and siren first to warn the women and childern to stand the hell back hahaha

HAHAHA
The trunck was loaded down with po-po equipment. These Crown Vics get tail heavy once loaded up for a shift. We were riding two deep with a partner last night in case there was a need for officer back-up. Think, if I get in a shoot-out, how long will it itake for back-up to get to me with the roads in this condition. So, we carry our back-up with us!

So, I was stuck on the hill trying to reverse back out. I mean, I had only just stopped the car at the top of the hill and said, "Hell no, there is no way we are making it back up this hill if we drive down there." So I put it in reverse and eased on the gas...
...and was surprised when the car kept going down the hill anyways! After a couple minutes of sliding the car back and forth, my partner jumps out, points down the steep hill, and says, "I don't want to be in the car when you wad it into a tree." Thats when I put it back into reverse and stomped it. No more studs in the tires!!! But, it did burn through the ice and shoot backwards up the hill, towards a brick mailbox. Very fun!

Back
Top Bottom