74 Honda XL 350 - The Turd

Tune-A-Fish said:
What all did you provide please

Page 2 of this thread I posted everything I sent in. You have to go by NADA value on sales tax though may want to call them to confirm how much the tax is going to be, they sent mine back once because the amount was wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Nice selection of parts:

http://stores.ebay.com/MotoSmart-Used-Motorcycle-Parts/_i.html?LH_TitleDesc=1&rt=nc&_nkw=XL350&_sid=999149681&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1513&_pgn=1

iatethepeach said:
That brake fluid trick is cool. Congrats on the VT tag, too.

Thanks. Was easier than I expected. I even cleaned up the dust covers for the clutch/front brake with it. Works great.

Tune-A-Fish said:
Nice selection of parts:

http://stores.ebay.com/MotoSmart-Used-Motorcycle-Parts/_i.html?LH_TitleDesc=1&rt=nc&_nkw=XL350&_sid=999149681&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1513&_pgn=1

Yep I got a few parts cheap from them and they do best offer on a bunch of stuff 8)

So the spokes I ordered on eBay (that came from Thailand, great) are wrong for the front wheel. They sent a set for a disc brake model and I have a drum. So half of my spokes are the wrong length. There goes my "deadline" of July 4th weekend :eek: Hopefully I don't end up losing a shitload of money on that. Fuckin' eBay.

fd845893544d60eefa8ed6c110518503.jpg

Dual sport knobbies, tubes, and rim strips all arrived today. Looks like I'll be waiting a while to rebuild that front wheel..good thing there's an engine to rebuild.

Picked up 2 part 85a urethane and poured some bushings tonight. Thanks deviant for the shocks.

I am going to try and post a quick little video on the process I used after they set up and once I know they work

c6ff7fd92e1bda4813e1a7aa4e267fe9.jpg

I love Smooth-on. Consider Polytek too. I go back and forth between the two, depending on what I'm getting.

deviant said:
I love Smooth-on. Consider Polytek too. I go back and forth between the two, depending on what I'm getting.

Seemed to work pretty nicely. Interested to see how it sets up.

Btw this stuff in general is awesome, I see a lot of use in my future.

That is a great little trick I hadn't seen before, any way you could add in the bushing while wet or jig it up with a bushing and pour it?

Tune-A-Fish said:
That is a great little trick I hadn't seen before, any way you could add in the bushing while wet or jig it up with a bushing and pour it?

Yep I was going to make 3D printed mock ups and use for molds but I figured this would be faster just going to drill holes in the center and slap them on for a quick fix. Depending how they feel I may make some improved ones later.

adventurco said:
Seemed to work pretty nicely. Interested to see how it sets up.

Btw this stuff in general is awesome, I see a lot of use in my future.

They also sell plastics. Been using Smooth-On and Polytek this side of 15 years. Wonderful companies, both of them.

deviant said:
Now simmer them in a pot of Rit dye and make them a cool color.

I was wondering about that. They told me about their pigment but said I'd be fighting the white and it would just end up gray if I used black pigment. I'll give it a shot. Simmer on low in a pot?

adventurco said:
I was wondering about that. They told me about their pigment but said I'd be fighting the white and it would just end up gray if I used black pigment. I'll give it a shot. Simmer on low in a pot?

Yep. I know it works on skateboard wheels. Not sure if there's something different in the composition that would make theirs not take to the dye just as well. You have to boil the Rit dye first then bring it down to a simmer. You can melt the urethane, so you'll have to work with temp, time and keep it stirring. Should only take a few minutes.

Just came back from a ride on the 360 and large package was waiting at the front door.

New forks. Need rebuilt but the stanchions are immaculate, even the caps will polish up nice. Not bad at all for under $100 shipped.

65ce603db51152653dea45ac5f502d30.jpg

f5ed5f69b6a36d660ad350e76009a375.jpg

Back
Top Bottom