rd350 '73 front wheel assembly - I f'd up.

andrewlk

Been Around the Block
I did not forget the front hub center spacer before pressing in new bearings...but I did forget the flange spacer that slides over the center spacer. Can I get by without it?

Would love not having to drive new bearings out.

I packed the hub with grease and the spacer is aligned, axle fits fine and the wheel has been trued/tire mounted and balanced.

Looks like that "flange spacer" is what rides in the bearing and is a critical component. No cheat for this it seems, you need a stable front wheel for sure.

Image, #8 is the culprit.
FRONT_WHEEL.png

That can't be...the center spacer doesn't slip through the bearings, it has to go in first. And when bearings are pressed in is in direct contact with the inner races. The flange spacer fits over this center spacer and appears to be only for keeping the center spacer aligned when the axle is removed. It does not appear to me to matter where on the spacer it is position...so I'm hoping it doesn't matter if it's not there at all.

andrewlk said:
That can't be...the center spacer doesn't slip through the bearings, it has to go in first. And when bearings are pressed in is in direct contact with the inner races. The flange spacer fits over this center spacer and appears to be only for keeping the center spacer aligned when the axle is removed. It does not appear to me to matter where on the spacer it is position...so I'm hoping it doesn't matter if it's not there at all.

Well heck if its just a thin alignment spacer and the axle slides through.. you may be in good shape.

yer good to go, sometime in the future you may have to fuss with it if the spacer falls off center, but it is not a structural issue

thanks for the help guys. i'll put it back in next time i replace, for the time being it stays put from the grease.

andrewlk said:
thanks for the help guys. i'll put it back in next time i replace, for the time being it stays put from the grease.

why did you pack the cavity full of grease? what was the reasoning ?

to be honest, I work on a farm and we always pack bearings by hand and any space that would other wise be vacant. even sealed bearings we try to work as much into them as possible. if there's grease in there, there's not water/moisture or dust/debris.

Sounds like a lot of grease, but no harm done - it should never get warm enough to expand in a meaningful way. +1 on the spacer being ok without the centering flange jobydoo. It's only function is to locate the center spacer while you slide in the axle. Usually it stays in place anyway because the center bearing races hold it there with friction. Just don't try to drive in the axle if gravity causes it to fall to the bottom of the cavity and block the axle! Probably with all that grease it will stay put!

Back
Top Bottom