1970 CL450 rear wheel axle bolt direction??

jedhiggs

Hey guys, just noticing in pictures that the crown nut on my rear wheel axle bolt is on the opposite side as in those pictures and schematics. Whoever had my bike before me must've put it through wrong. From the back of the bike, it's put on from the right to the left and in all the pictures its from the left to the right. See the first photo on my blog below. My question is, is that wrong and does it matter? It's obviously been ridden successfully with it on this "wrong" way.

http://jedhiggs.wix.com/my-1970-honda-cl450#!Rear-Tire-On/cmbz/551578360cf21933cd194bd0

It doesn't matter. I have mine with the nut on the right so it is easier to see and inspect the safety pin.

END OF LINE

I have one (actually it is a CB) that has never been dis-assembled (really). The nut is on the right.

On all my bikes the nut is on the left as in the photos. Matches the swingarm spindle nut. I think it should be on the left because the brake plate helps hold the wheel level while the axle is removed or installed. Would be more difficult if nut was on right side.

Back
Top Bottom