The Copper Bavarian (new pics)

BicycleBobe

Been Around the Block
I'm new to the forum semi new to motorcycles in general this is my first bike and I managed to lay it down and get it ran over after only half a year... So the bike it's 71 bmw r75/5 originally I planned on going cafe but now I'm some where in between with my vision cafe / bobber... The story I bought the bike in o8 from and old principal of a middle school in bfe. He was quite hesitant on selling it probably due to my question like how fast have you got this thing up to... I threw some clubmans on and a different seat and was speeding around town for a quite enjoyable six months. Then it all came to an end I live in Fort Worth Texas drive through the historic stalk yards every day to work. It was about rush hour and I was following one of those "new vintage" triumphs through rush hour in the stock yards, for those who don't know its a antique brick road... when he suddenly shoots into the wrong lane I quickly realized there was a stopped truck in our lane too late though I barely clip him as I swerve into the other lane. I remember looking at my bars get smaller as I'm catapulted through air luckily. I say luckily because if I had stayed on the bike the car that hit the bike would have hit me too. Now I'm laying on the bricks broken clavicle broken hand lots of little bruises thank god for safety gear. I hit head first and there is a considerable chunk out of my shoei, jacket mangled, and broke the carbon fiber knuckle on my gloves. Like I said I'm laying on the bricks not moving when I see my recently gassed up bike erupt into a fireball. So pretty bummed I just played dead and let the asian torrist take pictures of me no joke... To add insult to injury bike gets towed it doesn't have vins didn't come with them in 71 so it's a theft case now. Bike sits in the tow yard for an entire month one of the wettest months on record. Sorry for the essay here are some pics... I'm bad at taking pics as I go

day 1

Just before the crash

After the crash where she sat for one rainy month

And sadly the after math

Here is a pic of the cleaned and rebuilt carbs I will add more pics of my progress soon I've come a little ways since these pictures

Re: Haven't seen a BMW on here yet...

Some crappy cell pics of about where I am now I'll get some better pics up when I have my camera back.

I think I'm leaning toward a bmw like the wrench monkies did here

I have some pretty unconventional ideas for the tank that I think I know would make most bmw riders cringe. It's somewhat saught after tank to say the least... I was thinking of painting the tank a dark burgandy red and doing the toaster panels in really creammy vanilla white. Or maybe doing the tank in matte black or matte burgandy... lots of paint ideas to many. The seat I would really like to do like on the wrech monkees bike.

Mate, that is messed up!

I do love that chrome on the tank, and dont remember seeing many tanks around like that... For the record, I think there is a Bike of the month BMW (from memory - he is winning too) but the build thread isn't on the site.

My Dad has an old R75/6 that we will be restoring soon after I finish my little mini Honday (although he won't let me make any, um... cafe racer style changes, improvements).

I'll be watching this for ideas for sure...

Wow. I'm not an emotional guy but the story and the pics that followed almost brought a tear to my eye.

Glad to hear you're not giving up on her. There are a couple BMW's on here so you're not alone in that department. Good luck, ask plenty of questions, and welcome to the insanity!

Go hard on that bud. Shame about the off and glad you're ok but it's great to see you keen as to get back on again. I'll be watching this thread for sure!

sad but a new begining!!! do not cut up that seat! i will buy it and recover it off you if you will sell it?!

I love that WM Beemer....drool...... looks like you've already made a good start, good luck and keep us posted!

That is shitty 3 ways from sunday. Sorry man. Glad to see your still upright, and getting her back on the road. Love those BMWs...

Wow, pretty scary story. Glad to hear you're ok. I was in FW last summer for work and we visited the stock yards — I thought you were going to say you ran into the herd of cattle they drive down the street everyday.

I like the paint scheme idea, I tried going for the burgandy/cream scheme with my kawi 750. I'm still think about adding a couple more cream color accents, but not quite sure where yet. Good luck getting her back on the road.

IMG_8555.jpg

IMG_8556.jpg

JRK5892 said:
sad but a new begining!!! do not cut up that seat! i will buy it and recover it off you if you will sell it?!
Ya that was a pretty damn expensive seat comfy as hell but I never really liked it... I thought about getting it recovered but I cut about 8 inches off the back of the bike so it wouldn't fit even if I did recover. So ya I got bored last week and and cut it up to see what it looked like. Sorry

Made a seat pan covered it with the old seats leather turned out good I think for a cheap / free seat. Got the headlight bucket and wiring harness together. New, well new to me headers and new exhaust going on and hopefully starting it up real soon.

that seat is awesome!!!

love the look of the bike .the seat looks great.keep it up mate.
nabz

I almost cried when I saw that you'd cut up that nice Corbin seat (I have an R75/6) but you turned it into a real gem. Awesome looking.

Keep on truckin! I laid my BMW down too last year. They're WAY tougher than us, that's for sure.

Thanks I'm really quite stoked on how the seat came out. I put the pipes on and am making a bracket for the brake light and plate I'll get some more pics soon. Does anyone have some suggestion for a brake light right now I have the stop light from here http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/custom-sportster.aspx but I really like the two at the bottom of the page. Anyone know of some like that for less $$$ ?

They are the shit aren't they? I'm loving those titmouse lights. Google em and see what comes up but i was looking the other day and they seem to be the same price wherever you look. They are hand built by the sounds of things though.

Fantastic work so far. Lovin that seat!

Back
Top Bottom