67 BSA Spitfire "Stay Clean"

Thanks Hoosier. Been decades since I sold my Goldie. Just here to give Rich Ard an edge ikayshun..................

Sorry for any confusion there. OIF, QD etc were not Taylor Dow. I just added them to the list of terms that float around.

That's interesting info on those forks.

I've always wondered what they meant by "stay clean" too. Aint nuthin spit-shined about Lemmy and the gang!

Sweet Beezer HD! My wife's best girlfriend rode a Beez for while. She's on an AJS now, but I like the BSA better.

Thanks Zookrocker! Progress is much slower on this one than any other my other builds. Parts procurment is an issue here, both availability and funding. At least for now.
Nice to have another member that knows who Lemmy is too ;)

Ya-buddy H-D! I picked up on that right away. When ya gonna do an "Ace Of Spades" cafe, or a "Killed By Death" fighter? Love Motorhead man! One of the best things to ever come out of The Isles, and they've had some good shit!

Cheers Miffa! Please post pics of your work on the yoke. I have been stagnate on mine for way too long due to single digit (F) if not below zero temps in the shop! But just last weekend it warmed up enough I trudged out and did some clean-up.
Once I had cleared a couple of benches I grabbed the spare yoke I had picked up and cut the handlebar risers off it with a die grinder and a cut-off wheel. Plan on cutting pieces of steel to fill in the voids, then welding them in place and shaping smooth.

THAT'S IT!!! You are in my head John (so to speak)
I need more detail... especially on the relocated risers, hopefully you took pics along the way. That would solve my debachery.
You Sir are my Savior!

With you so far... that was the plan all along. To answer your questions. I wanted to use a set of Norman Hyde M-bars. But thought once I cut off the risers I would be forced to clip-ons... but that would negate the factory headlamp ears I so dearly love. That is why your set-up shown intrigued me so much!
I wanted to keep the dampener knob and want to move the risers ahead of that.
The steering lock is a non-issue to me.
The gauge mount would be nice to keep.

Thanks for you attention, it is appreciated!

So far I was right on with my plans to what you described. Good to know it will work outside of my head.
Thanks for the help!

It appears some of Miffa's post have been deleted... there was a good pic of how his modified top yoke came out. ???
This weekend I was able to spend a good amount of time in the shop. I got the front fork tubes disassembled. I made a tool to remove the chrome seal holders out of a piece of 1 1/4" schd 40 pipe. Even after soaking in PB Blaster for well over a month I had to heat them with a propane torch to get them loose!
Then to find the seals had done on excellent job of holding in water! No oil, just black water came out of both once the seal holders were removed. One inner tube came free with its bushings from the lower fairly easy while the other was siezed tight. Another overnight soaking with PB and more heat and a little perswasion with a hammer and a block of wood and I was able to get the "bad" side apart. When I got this bike it was in a dry wood shop and it has been inside the entire time I owned it... So I presume the water has been doing its wrath for decades.
Now to get everything cleaned up, see what is salvagable, and make a shopping list.

Thought you might like to see a few pics of a MK111 that I restored last month.

Attachments

• 100_2688.JPG
    100_2688.JPG
    280.3 KB · Views: 293
  • 100_2742.JPG
    100_2742.JPG
    346.9 KB · Views: 295
  • 100_2743.JPG
    100_2743.JPG
    366 KB · Views: 287
Sorry,I didn't post a thread for this one.
A friend of a friend asked me to get the bike running , and give it a good clean up.
The BSA had been off the road for the last 7 years, and wasn't in great condition.
I spent a long time cleaning and polishing, changed the plugs, air filters, changed the oil, stripped the carbs, and fitted some new Avon tyres.
A few new parts were fitted, bars, fork gaiters, footrest rubbers, grab rail, and made a new front number plate. The owner had bought a new tank and side panels many years ago, so these were also cleaned up and decals fitted.
The bike passed it's MOT, and is now back on the road.
My only regret is trying to seal the fibreglass tank. I followed the instructions to the letter, but within 4 days of adding fuel the sealant started to lift off.

Back
Top Bottom