1980 XS850 Brat (FINISHED!!!)

Re: 1980 XS850G Brat/Track/Scrambler

Did a quick mockup of the rest of the front end. Really excited about how it's coming together.

Drilled the rotors. I know they're not perfect, but for a first time I think I did alright. I could have done more holes, but I think they will look good with this amount.

Still need to hit them with a chamfer bit and deglaze the surfaces. Tires will be here tomorrow so I should have them mounted up and installed on the bike by this time next week.

Got the rotors finished up, the tires mounted, and the back end back on the bike.

Wasn't able to install the front wheel because the guys at the shop put the front tire on backwards. Oops! I'll have it flipped tomorrow so we can get it on soon.

When installed on the bike I'm hoping that one rotor hole that is noticeably off is LESS noticeable.

Little late to say it, but I think the drill pattern would have worked REALLY well had you lined them up with the spokes of the wheel once mounted, they would have matched up and made more sense that way....

focusinprogress said:
Little late to say it, but I think the drill pattern would have worked REALLY well had you lined them up with the spokes of the wheel once mounted, they would have matched up and made more sense that way....

Interesting point. Never even crossed my mind... Probably because I had them off of the wheels when I decided to drill them. Worth considering on the next bike I do though.

Progress update. Got the seat installed, and the front wheel on. Buddy of mine sewed up the seat and it was definitely the most challenging seat he has taken on. He's not wild about how it came out... but it looks good enough to me.

Next up:
• Paint the tank, front fender and brake calipers
• Install brakes
• Wiring
• Fill it with oil
• Push start

treitz said:
Brand new project... Buddy of mine and I picked this up to work on over the winter for a ridiculous steal of a price.

It will probably end up being a blend of brat, track and scrambler styling.

Plans include daytona bars, dual sport tires, new paint (colors TBD), and of course all of the little things like gauges and grips and a new seat...

Going to brake it down to the frame, shave the tabs and what not, paint the frame, and then start building it back up.

Pics of its first night home:

Inspiration:

What is the #45 bike pictured? I notice it is chain drive but thought all the XS750-850's were shaft drive. It's not a 650.

o1marc said:
What is the #45 bike pictured? I notice it is chain drive but thought all the XS750-850's were shaft drive. It's not a 650.

Can't find a lot of info, but there are guys converting them to chain drive. Here's where I found the photo: http://www.modestconquest.com/2011/06/not-bad-looking-yamaha-xs750-i-rather.html

Thanks, I figured it might be a conversion. I notice on the site you linked someone else asked about the conversion to chain drive, but got no response.

focusinprogress said:

7 spokes, 8 hole patterns. I suppose he could change it to 7 hole patterns.

o1marc said:
7 spokes, 8 hole patterns. I suppose he could change it to 7 hole patterns.

This forum is awesome when it comes to triples: http://www.yamaha-triples.org/category-view.asp

I think there are some guys on there doing the chain conversion.

I went there to check it out and only found one thread on the chain conversion, it was a guy in the UK inquiring about it and there were 0 replies.

o1marc said:
I went there to check it out and only found one thread on the chain conversion, it was a guy in the UK inquiring about it and there were 0 replies.

Oh okay.

o1marc said:

That isn't an XS750, it's a CB750. That's a Wrenchmonkees bike. All the info is on their site. There are a few chain conversion XS750's out there, but I view the shaft drive as a positive and something distinct about the bike.

Gotta say I've never seen a Yamaha triple in chain drive - seen a bunch of XS1100's, but no triples.

Beldrueger said:
That isn't an XS750, it's a CB750. That's a Wrenchmonkees bike. All the info is on their site. There are a few chain conversion XS750's out there, but I view the shaft drive as a positive and something distinct about the bike.

I agree. Not sure why you would want to remove the shaft drive.

treitz said:
I agree. Not sure why you would want to remove the shaft drive.

I've owned many of these 750/850 triples, and by all accounts beat the hell out of my bikes. I have yet to break one of these bikes. The shaft is very strong and easy to rebuild if needed. Having clean rims is pretty cool, and the torque jack isn't bad at all. These bikes were ahead of their time and over built. Chain conversions are expensive and in my humble opinion, not worth the time and $. These bikes are usually reasonable in price, why spend 70+% of the buy price on a chain??? Leave the shaft and spend the $ on better things like carbs or paint...

I personally have never liked the feel of a shaft drive bike. I have never felt it to be an advantage on a performance or race type bike. I've heard people say the torque jack is "not bad", but never heard anyone say it is good, which leans me toward it being a bit of a negative. Most shaft bikes I have seen were intended as cruisers. Most race bikes are not shaft but would be if there was an appreciable advantage to them. Size for size do the shaft drive race bikes really compete with the chain drive versions?
Bill, I see XS750's in the $1500-$2000 range, does it really cost $1000-$1400 to convert to chain?

o1marc said:
I personally have never liked the feel of a shaft drive bike. I have never felt it to be an advantage on a performance or race type bike. I've heard people say the torque jack is "not bad", but never heard anyone say it is good, which leans me toward it being a bit of a negative. Most shaft bikes I have seen were intended as cruisers. Most race bikes are not shaft but would be if there was an appreciable advantage to them. Size for size do the shaft drive race bikes really compete with the chain drive versions?
Bill, I see XS750's in the $1500-$2000 range, does it really cost $1000-$1400 to convert to chain?

Make a list of parts needed, and even if you get everything second hand, it's going to cost $. You'll need a swing arm, hub with sprocket, front sprocket, chain, up at the engine you'll have to modify to accommodate the changes. I can't tell you for a fact, but if I remember right the article I saw on it ran about $1k, especially if you're looking for "race performance". By the way, go to an AHRMA race, the shaft guys don't have any issues keeping up with the chain guys... I think the shaft effect on some bikes are the weak shocks allowing the bike to move up and down. The triples I've had were always treated to Progressive suspension which made a huge difference in the way the bikes handle. One of my bikes is an Aprilia, so I know what a proper bike should feel like, and I have to say, I don't think a chain conversion will make enough difference to warrant the $.

But that being said, the biggest part of riding is confidence, and if a chain makes somebody more confident, then I highly support the decision. I won't ride on old tires, I don't care how much tread they have, I need new tires. So I get it.....

Back
Top Bottom