Honda cb350 pheonix build

What to do about front fender??

• Loose that ugly heavy POS

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Keep it as it looks quite classy

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Keep it and get a ped cutter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chop it in the front and hope you don't fuck it up.

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Honda cb350 pheonix build (seat upholtered)

Took the seat in for upholtry today and the guy did it today!!!. I think they did an awsome job. Cost me 100 bucks i thought that was fair. for the detail i requested. GLad i didn't attempt this part myself as i just don't have the tools or skills for that one. Went with a straight black vinyl as i couldn't swing the brown leather and the brown vinyl i thought looked cheap. I am really pleased with outcome.
img1395nn.jpg

By axeugene27 at 2012-07-27

img1390j.jpg

img1392dv.jpg

img1394bk.jpg

By axeugene27 at 2012-07
img1391nu.jpg

By axeugene27 at 2012-07-27-27

img1393ry.jpg

Thanks AZ i worked pretty hard to get it this far. I still have a few things i want to do but from this point it's gonna be a slow progression. I am ready to ride.

well got the damn pos running somewhat. It is again doing this crazy crap where it fires up runs 2 min on only the left cylinder right sounds like it's trying and i put the right plug on the wire while the left was running the show. sparking like a motherfucker. so that's not the problem. I've reset the timing twice now. I have had the carbs off prob 10 x i thought maybe it was an issue with the float arm but that seems to be to spec. these fucking carbs are brand new. I changed the jetting a bit. Now have 30 pilots in and 145 mains. choke does absolutely nothing and the thing will die right away if i choke it. Makes me think I am flooding the motor but the plugs aren't wet. WHy else would it work when i let it sit for about 20 min. I think about fuel starvation but I can't see why fuel is flowing free to the bowls I will try to tear down the fucking carbs again and clean out brand new carbs. IDK maybe it's the ignition shorting to the motor somewhere. Crap oh crappy. Compression is 175 on both cylinders. TOmorrow i will adjust the valves. rewire the ignition, buy new plugs, and clean/ dissemble/ressemble the carbs. VM 30s btw. Damn i need help..... any suggestions out there>>

I am using my ohmeter and following my manual. I am first gapping the points, then setting the left (yellow) points to open the instant the LF aligns with the stator mark. Then I adjust the right point gap to open at the F mark. Just like the manual says. I will try getting a light and see if that is better but the ohmeter is pretty sensitive. I will try getting a light but I am starting to highly doubt it;s the ignition. I have a strong feeling the fuel level in the float bowls may be off but i adjusted the float arms too aprox 22mm. IDK the chief character is that the right cylinder refuses to fire regularly when i can get it to start. The other symptom is that when left alone for about half hour the bike wants to fire more readily. FOr a bit i was having issue with weak spark but seemed to self resolve after I tightened the ground on the condensor. <--i had this problem before. Pretty frustrated about now any insight is appreciated.

Float level for most of the 350 carbs is 26mm, but there are a few models that have slightly different specs.

carbspecs.jpg

I am using mikuni vm30 carbs. Float level is between 22 and 24 per mikuni manual. I tooled around a bit this morning checked timing again spot on. Adjusted the valves right was slightly too tight. took apart the carbs again set the float height again. Got the bike to start but it was hard coming once warm left cylinder fires easily. tooled around with the coils abit. switched left cylinder to use the right coil and visa versa. engine wouldnt kick but the right would backfire. As soon as i switched em back bam left cylinder fires. I am thinking I have a faulty coil. I had suspected this and have ordered one two days ago from dcc should be here tomorrow. Hope that solves the problem. I'll keep it updated. thanks for the input though guys.
'

im in the process of tuning my VM30's on my 350... i've got 140 mains and 40 pilots and it's awesome at wot but bobbles in the early to mid throttle and it's putting a black carpet on the plugs so it's rich somewhere... if you get a setup that works, lemme know... if i get one before you i'll update you too... might save us some money if we can get them close... the final tweaks will be bike specific, but if pilots at 20 work and i can just jump there instead of going through 35, 30, 25... you get the idea!

i have 20 25 30 40 45 and 50s i tried 45 they were too rich bike hardly would start same with 20s 30s have allowed me to get her started easiest so far. Hard for me to get the carbs tuned when i cant even get the bike to start though. I need to get her running well and then i will start with 30s and do some plug chopping to get the idle circuit tuned. I hope this damn coil gets here soon. I ordered it sunday night. dcc site still says processing.

While plug chopping can be done for the idle circuit, it can be difficult. The relatively low heat generated at idle tends to cause a buildup of carbon in pretty short order.

On the VM series carbs, you know you have the correct pilot when you can do both of the following:
1.) Hold the bike at a steady 15 mph, in third gear, without having change the throttle position
2.) Blip the throttle from idle to 1/8 open and the engine responds immediately

If you can't do the first, your pilot may be too big. If you can't do the second, it's too small.

hmm interesting info sonreir thank you will try that surely. Right now i only have my tach in place though so i will have to swap for the speedo to give that a shot.

I don't know what the solution to your problem is Ax but I hope you can get it sorted.

I have found over the years that cold beer is a solution to most problems (but I concede that it may not be THE solution)

while i wait for my coil to come in ducatiboy i am enjoying a cold beer and you know what my problems are all seemingly less problematic. Thanks Beer.

got the coil on today and bam right cylinder fires nice and hot. Got the carbs in decent order and took her on a stroll round the neighborhood. Peppy little bastard with the smaller main jet in. Low end seems a little anemic i think i am gonna try jumping up to a 40 pilot and see what happens also bogs out slightly in midrange then takes off on top end with the 145 main. THink I will get the idle circuit tuned in with plugs and go from there. But prob lower the clip on the needle and see if that helps as i think it is a bit rich in that rpm range.( 3500-5000). On another note while i was riding in the neighborhood my master link on my chain popped and i had to walk the bike home. No damage though luckily. Still Pumped. Oh yeah and I bought a BMW r60 today too. SO today was pretty awesome. Now time to degrease and get the wife out for dinner.

After buying another motorcycle you better make sure that dinner for your wife is not McDonalds!! R60 will make a great project. Simplest engines in the world to work on :)

Glad to hear the bike is ripping through the revs and tearing rubber off the tyres! Also glad to hear the beer helped

axeugene27 said:
hmm interesting info sonreir thank you will try that surely. Right now i only have my tach in place though so i will have to swap for the speedo to give that a shot.

Same concept. You're just aiming for a steady speed/rpm with around 1/8 throttle.

Back
Top Bottom