My '79 XS 1100 Special Work in progress: Massachusetts

NoHonestlyitsme

Build it and they will love
Here is my first cafe my 79 XS Eleven Special. I got it in great condition all stock expect a Kerker Exhaust. Ive done very little to it so far and people seem to love it.

** 5 Year Update! It was shared on the Cafe Racers Of Instagram page recently I'm happy to see the progress side by side**

Screenshot_2014-09-08-22-09-26-1_zps4f11bc18.png

Mods:
Avon Venom WW
Matt Hoffman BMX rear subframe hoop
Harley Blinker taillight
Uni Foam Filters
Clip Ons
Home made seat

Plans
Rear seat cowl from a junk K model sportster tank (looks like a late model GSXR tail)

GS Kick stater and battery alternative
side covers

105.jpg

092.jpg

Im not sure, I bought the bike with the Pipes and added the filters. It ran like ass with the pipes and stock air box, but with the pods its much better, Ive yet to officially sync the carbs and aren't sure if they've been jetted. Im looking to get another bike as my real build and keep this one to ride with my Ol Lady. I love having the extra CC's on the highway though

Nice work! And on a special, too!

How are those low clip ons with the stock peg location? I have clubs on mine, but want to go a little lower. Nice gauge to, BTW.

Thanks guys, I actually like the clipons w/ stock pegs alot, this one is my 2 up/ ton-up bike and the lady and I ride in perfect comfort. clip ons to me are just so much nicer than Clubmans. The seat also has alot to do with the riding position and I took many hours shaping foam to the right hieght to get my fetal position figured out

I hear you on the two up/ ton up thing. I have been eyeing some clip ons myself. Where did you get that gauge?

I am still amazed you made it work with a special tank. I could not do it on my 11 and had to find a standard tank. Nice work

i am surprised by how much I like this bike. It looks really great. I usually dislike a 4 of any sort, but the proportions on this look good!

Thanks Alot guys, Your comments mean alot. This is my first go at this stuff and I basically turned a stock XS into a goddy "Bobber" then stripped it to the frame and went to this look. DIdnt take much actually. My dad told me not to, many said it couldnt be done well, But I said fck 'em. Im planing a rear seat cowl to just cover the rear part of the seat like a newer street bike if you will, Ill detail it when I finally do it. the proportions were so hard to get right on this thing. I lowered it about 2 3/8" in the front, stock rear shocks and a seat I made on a whim that fits perfect. 24" from case cover to case cover ha. SHe is a wide one thats for sure.

My first bike was the 79 XS1100 Special. That makes me sound old, but I'm actually 20. Go figure. Its a great bike and of course I still have it. I have been distracted with a few others and need to redo the fuel lines. I considered doing something Cafe with it, but hesitated because its in such great shape. Already have a fiberglass seat for it, and it would look damn good with even the stock tank. Its encouraging to see I wasn't the only one considering it.

Also, "My dad told me not to" is enough to justify forging ahead. ;)

Hey Walt,

Yea my fuel lines were a bitch to get right. I eventually delete the "OCTY" and run 1 line from each petcock, the other to nipples on the petcocks have a few inches of fuel line, a nice bolt in each one and a decent clamp, nobody ever notices and Ive never had fuel issues since.. I say do what you want with your bike. The best inspirations I've ever gotten were from people telling me I couldn't do it. And for the record im only 21. Us young guns need to show some talent.

Hey Walt, here is my 11. Not a perfect example of cafe, but a lot better after some input from DTT! The eleveners on here need to represent!

100_2133.jpg

And though wide, they can at least legitimately Do The Ton!

Wow. Both those bikes look great. Glad to see there are at least a few more 11's on DTT. Now I'm definitely going to do some work on mine. Like I said, I only hesitated because its practically mint and I have two other Cafe bikes in the works, so I didn't feel too pressured to start wrenching on it. Once the academic semester ends, I'm going right back at it.

And yes, these bikes will do the ton, easily. Scarily easily.

t71ford said:
Hey Walt, here is my 11. Not a perfect example of cafe, but a lot better after some input from DTT! The eleveners on here need to represent!

100_2133.jpg

And though wide, they can at least legitimately Do The Ton!

Ford- I really like the side covers, and also the black pipes. Very cool.

Back
Top Bottom