Recurve Bow Build

Fingers crossed you are able to make the correction. Its all a learning process, and for me here still cool as fuck, just to see your process!

Michelin Ultra Heavy Duty tubes. Crazy 4mm thick! I put one of these in the rear on the 360. Its almost a tire itself. Like having a tire inside the tire.

http://www.motosport.com/michelin-ultra-heavy-duty-inner-tube

SONIC. said:
Very cool!

I say build the inverse of the form and then put a sealed firehose between the two, clamp them together and air it up.

I plan on trying the firehose method in another build but for the next one I do, Im going to use the same form and method.....just improve on it. I have all the materials for another bow but the draw weight will go up to about 45lbs

irk miller said:
Unless you need humidity, you can also manage heat with muffin fans. In the dry boxes I build for ceramics, we want the humidity out, so muffin fans do the trick. You can also install a dimmer switch. I've also built them with baseboard heaters as the heat source. I want 180° to 200° in my dry boxes, and those methods have given me that control.

no humidity needed, but will just get it down to 160. But first Im going to run the oven again with a temp sensor inside to see what its getting up to

trek97 said:
Fingers crossed you are able to make the correction. Its all a learning process, and for me here still cool as fuck, just to see your process!

Michelin Ultra Heavy Duty tubes. Crazy 4mm thick! I put one of these in the rear on the 360. Its almost a tire itself. Like having a tire inside the tire.

http://www.motosport.com/michelin-ultra-heavy-duty-inner-tube

Already looking at motorcycle inner tubes since there is motorcycle supply store around the corner from me

Well I got a chance last night to work on trimming the sides down then marking off the tips and cutting them to shape, and thats where I found an issue that makes this bow a Non Shooter, I will not string this bow since I don't want it blowing apart on me and slapping me in the face/head..........this is where this project stops and I'm recollecting to do the next one.

IMG_1550_zpsslnh2gkw.jpg

IMG_1551_zpsbttogknk.jpg

IMG_1552_zpsiitixm7c.jpg

The pic above and below shows the empty areas between the laminations, which I believe is from one of the rubber bands popping and loosing pressure during the cooking phase (some of the rough spots at the edges is just masking tape)

IMG_1553_zpstxntz1dv.jpg

So the plans are in place for the next bow, but the Im making a new form and going with firehose pressure form, I do like the red colour of the Padauk wood so I want to stay with that and I am liking the shape of the bow.....might just make a few changes in the shape of the riser but basically stay with what I have so far

Also, I am going to keep working on this bow as practice for shaping the riser and arrow shelf, but I wont waste material like adding tips.

So Thats its for now, when I start the next one I will do another build thread

Dang dude, that stinks. But I know you'll win in the end.

keep it going w this thread since we already got it bookmarked for updates when they come.

Trek97,
when I get all the pieces I need to start a new one, I will post it all here

Well, I have started collecting what I need for the next build.
1-1/2" fire hose @ 25 feet for free.....collected it last night
Will need to make some plug ends for it and one side that has nipple to pump it up to 60 psi

IMG_1558_zps9qe8u3k5.jpg

Where did you find 25 feet of free fire hose?
Or is this one of those, "you don't want to know" things?

Kijiji is where I found it. The guy is selling fire hose with ends on reels but this one didn't have ends on it and no one wanted it, so he was giving it away.
Need some?

Kamn said:
Kijiji is where I found it. The guy is selling fire hose with ends on reels but this one didn't have ends on it and no one wanted it, so he was giving it away.
Need some?

Thats his story and he's sticking to it! ;)

Well it was almost free.....got a speeding ticket on the way home, I wasnt paying attention to my speed and when I saw the cop parked on the side of the 407 (toll highway) and looked at my speedo.....Oh Shit
Pulls up behind me in a flash, long story short, the dude was super awesome and instead of a 30kmh over speeding ticket (which nails you in insurance demerit points), he dropped it to 15 over with no demerit points and its a $50 fine

LOL so it was a $50 piece of hose. good he dropped it and you knew you were speeding so he could have gone full dick and full fined you.

Yeah, he was super nice about it and I told him he was awesome and thanked him
And even with the ticket the hose still cheaper than buying a section that long

He pulled you over for 130 on the 407? Must have been bored. Its not often you see anyone going slower than that.

Back
Top Bottom