1972 Yamaha DT 250 Enduro to Cafe/Bobber

Good to see another smoker on here.
IMG_5239.jpg

IMG_5341.jpg

And you should really research this stuff. LINK

Thanks for the link, I downloaded it, will start reading tonight. Your bike looks great! How loud are those pipes? I wanna get this thing quieted down a bit.

On a sadder note, the tank paint is ONCE AGAIN ruined. I have had it sitting inside my air conditioned apt for the last two weeks. It was fine when I brought it in and started polishing it after wet sanding. I went to finish polishing it up and found this on one side of the tank. Anyone ever seen this? Know what caused it? I have seen paint bubble up in big bubbles from temperature or humidity, but these are tiny hard bubbles. Chemical reaction?

Enduro047.jpg

Enduro049.jpg

Enduro050.jpg

Enduro051.jpg

weird... are the primer, paint, and clearcoat all the same brand? was the tank completley free of rust when you painted? was it sitting near something hot? thats all i can think of

I have just been informed that painting plastic gas tanks is a no no as the gas permeates through the plastic. I was not aware of this discouraging fact and am currently trying to accept the fact that the tank is screwed and I have wasted nearly two weeks on a fruitless venture. I am now on the lookout for a small metal tank to replace this GOD_FORSAKEN_LUMP_OF_CAMEL_CRAP on my living room floor. I am going outside to do a little tai-chi now.

So I read that .pdf. Downloaded it actually. Looks like my plan was right on, but this gives me the equations to get the dimensions close right from the start. Pretty sweet. So using the parameters in the write-up, I have come up with this design for my baseline exhaust system.

ExhaustDesign_Baseline.jpg

Couldn't you coat the inside of the tank with POR15 or Kreem? That would seal it and keep the gas from seeping through and ruining the paint....

I suppose I could coat it, but the pain is ruined already so one way or another I am gonna have to paint another tank. I already found and ordered up a new on on E-ghey...$6.50. Good price. Vintage tank from a Bridgestone with knee pads and what looks to be a sight glass. Gonna do that one up instead.

My $6.50 tank showed up today. I am feeling better about the demise of the old tank, this one is pretty kool. Best part, just a little bit of surface rust inside. It is much better than I expected. I need to figure out where to get some replacement knee pads now. I tossed the tank and seat on the frame to get a look at them. The tank will mount farther back at a better angle but I couldn't get it to stay still for the picture.

Enduro071-1.jpg

Enduro072-1.jpg

Enduro073-1.jpg

I will skip all the cleaning and prep.
Clif's Notes: Stripped, sanded, self etching primer, glazing putty, sand, 2 coats high build filler primer, 1000 grit wetsand, 2 coats Metallic Charcoal. Up next - stripe and clear coat.

Enduro074-1.jpg

Enduro075-1.jpg

Enduro076.jpg

Looking great!
I too have a two stroke on/off road bike(1972 Hodaka Ace 100) that I'm turning into a road bike,more specifically a Track Day/Road racer type machine.
You can take a gander at it in the link below.

I have some updates and pics I still need to put up,but you can get and idea of where I'm going with the project.

There are a couple more builders on this site that have dirt or Enduro type bikes that they are converting to on road bikes.

Thanks, this should look even better with clear. It also goes pretty well with the color I painted the wheels.

Seems like a long while since you have posted to this site. Crazy though since I too am cafe'n my 1969 dt 250 would love to see the finished product. Have lots of questions that can be paid for with beer!

This thing should be cool!!!!!! Looks like it is coming along. I hate to give you my opinion, but I would use the stock exhaust/expansionchamber.

Back
Top Bottom