Rock&Roll: My xs650 brat bike

I cant wait either. The bike is coming together, I got the front and rear end on. The stupid fork dust seal fell apart though, DOH! I might replace it with gators but I am not sure. The bike looks amazing though. I will post new pics soon. I can't wait to ride it!!!

Last night and today's work. Just need a grommet for the headlight and I can put the wiring harness back on!

Attachments

• 2-13 (1).JPG
    2-13 (1).JPG
    412.8 KB · Views: 314
  • 2-13 (2).JPG
    2-13 (2).JPG
    509.6 KB · Views: 317
Getting the wiring harness back together, it isn't as difficult as I thought. A bit time consuming but not too bad. BTW is it weird that many times while reassembling this bike I have picked something up and thought: "What's this for? I don't know, probably nothing." and set it back down.

haha now on a motorcycle i have never done that but on plenty of other things i certainly have, sometimes they work a little bit better after the fact imo. i really like your build so far, i just bought my first bike ever (1979 Yamaha xs 400) and trying to get some ideas of what to do with it. originally thought to bob it but now i'm torn between cafe and brat. decisions decisions lol. can't wait to see the final pics!

Thanks dude, I have almost finished with the wiring harness. I have also started working on the seat pan, it should be done tonight. I'll post pics up tonight.

The seat is coming along pretty good, just needs one more coat of fiberglass then trim and upholster. I am thinking of bobbing the front fender. I read a bit on it and I should just tape, mark it, cut it with a cut off wheel and sand it, right? I am going to do it like this:
cb750kz_04.jpg

I bobbed the front fender and finished the seat pan. Gonna mount it tomorrow, Probably put rubber under the seat to rest on the frame and use heavy duty velcro or bolt it on somehow, Not sure yet.

I measured the cylinder and it seams that it is .007mm out of specs. So I think that I will bore out the engine and put in new pistons and rings. Is there any trouble with boring out to fourth oversize?

Good news, I used my school's tools and my cylinders are perfectly circular and no taper, with only 8000 miles so it doesn't surprise me. I ordered new gaskets and stuff, Got my tank all sanded down and ready for paint, license plate/tail light bracket made, not too much more to do now, should be totally done in a month. i am gonna wait until I get it running well before I start modifying the exhaust and intake.

Re: Rock&Roll: My xs650 brat bike, Tons of progress

Sorry for the lack up updates, I have gotten the engine back together and running, got some jets, and new air filters. Still need to get the electrical stuff tucked away, :eek: . That ought to be fun. Then the exhaust and paint the tank. Will be on the road soon. ;D Here's a quick video I made:

I finished the seat, tucked away the electrical crap and chopped off the exhaust It is totally satisfying my testosterone glands but is completely obnoxious so the new exhaust will go on soon. Not that anyone seems to care but here are some updated pics. ;)

I lowered the front end 1" and chopped that crossbar and rotated the bars back a bit. WAY better! Exhaust is next

Awesome work, dude! Man, you are smoking me on the xs build. While I'm off tooling away at other things, you're rolling out! Good work, can't wait to hear the new exhaust.

Thanks dude, I am looking forward to see where your build goes? Better get working and catch up! I am hoping to get it on the road by the weekend.

Son of a bitch! I put on my exhaust, they were mufflers from a harley softail, but they were real heavy, extremely quiet, and so restrictive that they were fouling out my plugs, back to the drawing board.

Rock&Roll: Need help with color ideas.

I feel like the colors just aren't quite right and not sure how to fix it. I think I am too close. What do you not like or think could be better?

Maybe its how white the tank is...? I like it, but it does skew the eye a little. Any subtle touches of color you could put on it?

i agree... needs someting on the tank... either that or flat black or satin black the tank, do some matching wheel stripes... or maybe add some white wheel stripes to the rims with the white tank woudl help. just needs some more of an even base of color to flow... very trick man or paint the rear fender and ears or even the front fender... man i love the stance and seat this bike has

I agree, the tank does need something,maybe black stripes down the center? I really like the fenders chrome, but I didn't think of wheel stripes, some white ones would look really good. Thanks for the input guys!

Back
Top Bottom