cb350 rigid build

Matt289

Hi guys,
New guy here but here is my build with alittle history. Wanted to use up my left over parts for one final build. So what I have is some left over triumph stuff, a 69 cb350 type 1 motor, cl pipes, and alittle planning, staring and drinking.

Now anyone that thinks slapping a cb350 into a triumph frame is easy might want to guess again. It's actually about 1-1.5" taller then a 500/650 unit motor. My motor is sitting in the frame with the head off in order to get the motor in for measuring to see how much of a pain it will be to fit.

Wheel base is 56" so things will be nice and tight rather then all over the place with big empty holes all over. Front end will have to be 2" under as I have a 21" spool on the way. Upper tripple clamp will have the top clamp cut and moved as the stock triumph offset one is horrible looking.

So the tube behind the motor will have to be slid forward some to make room for the battery box between the fender and the back tube. Under the battery box I'll have to make a cross over tube to get the brake back on the right?/wrong?right-right? side. You get the idea.

The bolt on hard tail was welded on but it was pavment pounding low. Aka less then 1-1.5" of ride height. I cut the welds and fixed the ride height to get things back into shape. By doing this I reached the magic 56" wheel base as well. So I know the bottom tubes are not back into shape on the rigid, but it's just for mock up.

I was going to do the whole street tracker thing with a SL350 frame, XS650 brakes, and front end but things have changed directions. You can see some of the remains and spares in the background.

So stay tuned, as it's going to get ugly before it gets pretty.

100_1711.jpg

100_1713.jpg

100_1712.jpg

Sounds ambitious! Will you be building a frame jig to keep and/or make things square? Are you going to have to cut out and raise that frame bar just above the head to make it fit?

Nice stance so far, I wish you luck and success!

Hi guys,
Correct the tank is a Wassel with a very high tunnel.

Top bar will have to remain as the tank bottom is flush with it. Why go up when down is so much closer! If I cut it out the tank would still hit the top of the motor. Frigg'n 350 motors are Tall!

Jig is a must. I will barrow my buddies as I sold mine off thinking I was out of this hobby.

Stay tuned as more cutting and fitting tonight!

Matt

Matt289 said:
Frigg'n 350 motors are Tall!

I believe it's due to the oil sump on the 350 making the motor deeper, not necessarily taller. The sump sits below the bottom frame rails on the stock frame. Triumph motors have a separate oil tank.

DrJ said:
I believe it's due to the oil sump on the 350 making the motor deeper, not necessarily taller. The sump sits below the bottom frame rails on the stock frame. Triumph motors have a separate oil tank.

partly true, but when I had my tr6 650 unit motor on the bench next to that 350 mill I was suprised. The tri motor has a narrow bottom which fits in those narrow frame rails compared to the wide oilsump of the 350.

not too much has been going on over the last couple days. Been feeling like complete crap tonight!

Well it fits. Did some cutting and turning so the front down tube is there now. Need to get my rear tube cut and fitted and then weld ieverything back together again. Don't mind the green level as it's close to 2 inches just for the time being. With alittle a2 + b2 = c2 I'll get the length right.
Enough for now. I'm going to go curel up and die some place. :eek:

100_1719.jpg

100_1718.jpg

100_1717.jpg

100_1716.jpg

Thanks man, I think the slug will work out ok.

Well I ended up at the ER last night. Turns out my Appendix burst so don't expect updates for a few days.

Morphine is great FYI

oh yeahhhh,
That looks and feels great. :eek: Still have air trapped in me as i feel like a basket ball. Atleast its done and I'm alive and kicking. I want to get back out there and weld the front frame loop up! Maybe next week.

Enjoy the photo :)

100_1724.jpg

well up and moving around today.
snapped a photo oh the tank/motor/frame sitting at there correct place now.
I'll weld things up next week when I'm recovered fully.

000_0001.jpg

Get well soon man. If theres anything ya need for the bike let me know. I have a bunch of stuff in the garage Im not using.

VonYinzer said:
Thanks! Shes gettin there.

let me know if you need anything as well for parts. I have enough spares n bits laying about. I could use a set of velocity stacks if you have any.

Back
Top Bottom