'Faux' z1 (KZ-ZXR)

Re: KZZXR

Oh maaaan. Motogadget is my new best friend!

http://www.motogadget.com/en/frameset.html

Nice nice nice. But oi! $$$$

Tintin said:

Yup... I nearly crapped when I saw the $, but I DID wet myself when I got it in my hands!! It's a sweet lookin' unit. I can't wait to see it in action!

The only way to get 'em is to order them direct, as far as I could tell. At one time I swear I saw their products available through some U.S. importer, but try as I might, when it came time to buy, I couldn't find them anywhere. The guys in Germany were cool to deal with though.

Tintin said:

WOW the classic is beauty... But as mentined... :eek: HOLY EURO'S!! :eek:

P.S. This bike is def deserving of the expense IMO.

Ease said:
WOW the classic is beauty... But as mentined... :eek: HOLY EURO'S!! :eek:

P.S. This bike is def deserving of the expense IMO.

My hands start to tremble a little when I start to think about the $$, but really it's no different than layin' out bucks for a new R1, Gixxer, etc. Let's not even mention the $'s for Euro sport bikes, a big touring rig or (egad) a Harley!! :eek: :eek:

I'd just rather spend it this way!! ;D ;D

This one IS special to me and I have gone a little overboard on this project. My other bikes have had, and will continue to have, MY fingerprints all over them! In many ways, those kinds of bikes are the COOLEST of all because they're 'personal'. 8) ;D

WOW. I really dig that ride. You've put some very nice details into that, especially the tank. WELL DONE!

" those kinds of bikes are the COOLEST of all because they're 'personal'. " True...so very true.
I would love to see a TV show on a custom build like yours. Forget all that chopper $h!t.

Mossy21 said:
" those kinds of bikes are the COOLEST of all because they're 'personal'. " True...so very true.
I would love to see a TV show on a custom build like yours. Forget all that chopper $h!t.

Ya baby!!! 'Do The Ton TV'!!! I'd buy it!! ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D

locO leoN said:
CAll it whatever you want... I like it!!..
Whenever I see these Street Fighters, it makes me wanna build one...DAMN...
Anyone wanna trade a cb450 bike for a Street Fighter???... ;D

Same here! When I get done playing with all the projects on my plate right now I'd very much like to build a street fight out of say a KZ650/750 or maybe one of the modern/updated KZ750s and fit on ZX6/10 parts to it.
I don't think I could bring myself to cut on a classic KZ1000 though. ;D

That's why you keep your eyes open for one that's been so neglected all it's good for is to cut up and start over. Kick ass project without the guilt of dicing an easily restored classic. ;)

anarki650 said:
That's why you keep your eyes open for one that's been so neglected all it's good for is to cut up and start over. Kick ass project without the guilt of dicing an easily restored classic. ;)

Agreed. A truly historic bike like an early Z1 or CB750 would be a shame to cut up. A KZ1000 though, is just a 'link in the chain' to todays' machines.

Since I've owned this machine since it was new, my project really began back in the early 80's when it was only 4 or 5 years old! Back then it was just another out dated superbike that couldn't keep up! It would be like working on an '01 or '02 Gixxer or R1 to help it keep up with the more modern models today!

The dyno run for the KZZXR has been delayed due to some little issues with the wiring. Crappy old grounds and switch contacts! I guess that's what comes with old stuff! It's just about ready though... I'll post more photos and maybe a short video when it happens!

That's a nice STREETFIGHTER, with the fork, engine, headlight, and ssspecially the bar upgrades there's nothing else to call it. Except perfect... I like it!!! Great job. :eek:

g-style said:
That's a nice STREETFIGHTER, with the fork, engine, headlight, and ssspecially the bar upgrades there's nothing else to call it. Except perfect... I like it!!! Great job. :eek:

Thanks G-Style!!

It's been lots of $ and a LONG time getting this thing done, but I should be ridiing it as soon as the #$%@& salt and snow are gone!!

It's a snowy Saturday at work, so I'll take the time to update you folks on the latest 'head scratcher' concerning the KZZXR. ???

I'm also a little bitter I can't be with you guys and gals celebrating at the Daytona 200 Party!! I fully expect incriminating pictures of all the activities!! ;)

O'k... back to the project. ;D

KZZXR08013.jpg

This isn't the best picture to show the problem, so I'll try to explain. The problem is that the chain hangs down and is in contact with the bottom brace of the swingarm. The drive chain is going to saw through it like my Poulan through kindling!! The solution we see as follows:

KZZXR08015.jpg

KZZXR08014.jpg

Our solution was to fab a tensioner, kinda like you might find on your cam chain.

There was a handy hole in the frame where the original foot peg was mounted. We stuck a bolt through it and are running a nylon 'wheel' on the inboard end acting as a tensioner.

We're not really happy with it, as we think it'll be a little noisy. What I really want to find is something similar in rubber or, possibly, a little sprocket.

Any thoughts or suggestions? ???

I think what we have will work, we're just trying to decide if there's a better way.

I am going to have a similar issues with my hybrid, except the at the top on the swing arm pivot.

What I am going to do is use is a sealed bearing with a nylon sleeve pressed on the OD. Similar to your idea but will turn with chain and should last quite a long time.

excessive650 said:
I am going to have a similar issues with my hybrid, except the at the top on the swing arm pivot.

What I am going to do is use is a sealed bearing with a nylon sleeve pressed on the OD. Similar to your idea but will turn with chain and should last quite a long time.

Ya, you've gone the extra mile with the bearing. We've considered that too. Even without the bearing, the spining plastic will last a long, long time. I just have this nagging idea in my head that it's going to make a 'machine gun' sound as the chain slides over the spining plastic sleeve. ??? I guess we'll find out, won't we! ;D

Yeah.. you'll find out fast enough once Ryan puts it on the dyno. You are going to dyno tune it aren't ya? I am itching to see this bike in person when the snow ends.

fugue said:
Yeah.. you'll find out fast enough once Ryan puts it on the dyno. You are going to dyno tune it aren't ya? I am itching to see this bike in person when the snow ends.

You and me both Bro!! ;D

Yup, Ryan will get it on the dyno for a little tuning. Then we'll find out for sure if the tensioner will work! The engine is 'mostly' stock, so we're not tuning for mega horsepower, but it'll be interesting to see just exactly what it does put out.

BTW, this thing ISN'T going to be a show bike! There are still going to be lots of details to clean up next winter or the one after. For example, the frame and some other bits will need to be powdercoated/painted. As well, the engine cases, barrels, head, etc. could use some more TLC to bring them back to life. I'm going to wait until we get everything else sorted and working properly before I get into that. The welds on the tail section of the pipe are brutal too, so I should fab a new one or spring for a completely new exhaust. We'll see!

COME ON SUNSHINE!! ;D WE WANNA GO RIDIN'!! ;D

I usually use a motocross bike tensioner wheel. They are located in the same place as yours on the stock mx bikes but they come with a couple bearings already installed. This will last alllooottt longer and be much qiieter than your current set up. They are available in many diameters depending on year and model, and for only about $20... Can't go wrong.

:-\

My suggestion would be to rotate the axel eccentric so that it was tightening on the up stroke....it may lower the rear of the bike alittle...but you'll gain some clearance with the brace

I got an idea, replace both sprockets with smaller one's to reduce there diameter. This will raise the chain from the brace.
Remember to reduce them to a point, to keep your ratio the same as you have now.
Or better yet, rotate the rear axle adjuster around so your axle is at the top instead of the bottom. :)

Back
Top Bottom