'nuther option for a cheap jacket... the street and steel police leather...

Nein_Collins

Never mess with a wookie
hey guys...yes I work for Cycle Gear, but i'm not here trying to drum up sales....just wanted to show you guys a jacket I tried on today...

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=5000&L2=43&L3=179&L4=&item=FMI_FMM200-BMP-36_G#
ststl_police_lthr_jkt_blk_LG.jpg

I tried on a 52 which was a bit small for my usual 3-4x frame.....if its like my anarchy jacket they fit on the large size...i'll be picking one up myself once I lose a little more weight and find the cash...my discount price is 60 bucks

i've already sold one to a cafe racer gentleman and he has been quite happy with it

what do you guys think?

asphalt_leather_front.jpg

If you feel like you've been paying a lot more for clothes lately, you are not wrong. Reports from consumer groups are that clothing prices have risen 10-20% this year and will continue to climb as cotton prices grow and emerging markets like China create additional demand. As an additional side effect, you may notice the quality of your clothing going down. I was looking for a casual, "knock-around" jacket for the Fall weather that might be used for occasional motorcycle rides (I'm looking for a cycle-specific jacket but that's another story). Along comes Cycle Gear and their Street & Steel brand.

The Asphalt Police jacket is a full-grain leather classic motorcycle jacket that is priced at a staggering $60! I have been quite satisfied so far. Considering that similar jackets from value-priced manufacturers and retailers (I'm thinking of the Alley's famous $99+ jacket) are almost twice the price, I had to check out this jacket. Overall, I am pretty satisfied. The leather is full grain and quite heavy, being around 5-6 pounds for a size 40. The zippers are beefy YKK. Unlike most jackets at this pricepoint, it doesn't have a crappy zip-out liner with some horrible fiber batting. It has a pretty simple nylon diamond-pattern liner that is attached directly to the leather. In addition to the exterior pockets (2 zippered hand warmer, a snap change/small cellphone pocket and a zippered chest pocket) there is a single inside pocket. The jacket is cut like a classic cycle jacket with extended sleeves and a belted waist.

Final summation? For $60, it's a great jacket for casual wear, for someone looking for a non-technical riding jacket or for someone who just wants a jacket for occasional rides. There are certainly better jackets on the market but this one is a steal.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wrote the above review a while back. Since then, it's been my go-to jacket for casual/daily wear and it's seen a few short rides in my hood. I am pretty pleased with my purchase and have noticed no stitching problems. I'm a stay-at-home dad to an 18 month old daughter so it sees a variety of conditions from play dates to errands to a few rides. I wear a 38 suit jacket and a size 40 in this jacket allows me to wear it solo or with a stout hoodie and thermal with it. All I need is to get some patches on it and keep breaking it in for spring.

I just want an "old school" styled jacket similar to this with some damn armour in it...is that too much to ask?

Nein, I also work at Cycle Gear (FTW). Kinda cool to see someone else on here that works at the same company.

As for a vintage look with armour, check out http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/big_bore_leather_motorcycle_jacket/web1006975

Like Nein, not trying to drum up business, just think it is a really cool jacket.

Crash said:
Nein, I also work at Cycle Gear (FTW). Kinda cool to see someone else on here that works at the same company.

As for a vintage look with armour, check out http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/big_bore_leather_motorcycle_jacket/web1006975

Like Nein, not trying to drum up business, just think it is a really cool jacket.

Yeah that is a nice jacket and a good price. You Cycle Gear guys should hook us up with a DTT discount though..it's the only decent thing to do ;)

Been trying to get the company to focus some of there energy (and Money) on the cafe, chop, rat scene, but no luck so far.

As I am in Chicago, there isn't a CG near me. After getting the new sales flyer, I was interested in the Highway 1 from Bilt. Seems pretty sweet and might make a nice cafe jacket. I am a short guy with relatively broad shoulders, so jackets often fit oddly. I'd love to try one before I bought one. Ah, well. Maybe when I visit the in-laws or something.

http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/highway_1_motorcycle_jacket/web1009011

I am done riding for the winter, but I think I might replace my work boots with some real riding boots. CG might be the place to find 'em.

swank76 said:
Something like this http://www.leatherup.com/p/Mens-Motorcycle-Jackets/Xelement-Mens-Antique-Brown-Rub-Off-Motorcycle-Jacket/115599.html?

My brother got a great armored jacket from Leatherup but had to play with the sizing. Normally wears a 2X but had to go up to a 4X.
how big is your Bro? Im 6'4 250#... He roughly around there or what?

I just saw the ad for Bilts boots in the new MC... I have been wanting to give em a shot. they any good or just cheap stuff?

Just my .02 I got my BiLT trackstar jacket and helmet from CG here in Jacksonville. Only complaint I have is the zipper on the jacket wore out kind of quickly, but I think it had more to do with me sitting it on an office chair at work where everyone sits on and off, so I'm sure it got moved and banged around by others. The helmet is nice though, comfy and all. Other than the zipper, I have no complaints about the jacket. The elbow and shoulder armor are nice and thick, and all the stitching is covered over and doesn't rub.

The jacket has a 5 year warranty on it. Take it back and trade it out. The zipper is a common issue with that jacket.

swank76 said:
asphalt_leather_front.jpg

If you feel like you've been paying a lot more for clothes lately, you are not wrong. Reports from consumer groups are that clothing prices have risen 10-20% this year and will continue to climb as cotton prices grow and emerging markets like China create additional demand. As an additional side effect, you may notice the quality of your clothing going down. I was looking for a casual, "knock-around" jacket for the Fall weather that might be used for occasional motorcycle rides (I'm looking for a cycle-specific jacket but that's another story). Along comes Cycle Gear and their Street & Steel brand.

The Asphalt Police jacket is a full-grain leather classic motorcycle jacket that is priced at a staggering $60! I have been quite satisfied so far. Considering that similar jackets from value-priced manufacturers and retailers (I'm thinking of the Alley's famous $99+ jacket) are almost twice the price, I had to check out this jacket. Overall, I am pretty satisfied. The leather is full grain and quite heavy, being around 5-6 pounds for a size 40. The zippers are beefy YKK. Unlike most jackets at this pricepoint, it doesn't have a crappy zip-out liner with some horrible fiber batting. It has a pretty simple nylon diamond-pattern liner that is attached directly to the leather. In addition to the exterior pockets (2 zippered hand warmer, a snap change/small cellphone pocket and a zippered chest pocket) there is a single inside pocket. The jacket is cut like a classic cycle jacket with extended sleeves and a belted waist.

Final summation? For $60, it's a great jacket for casual wear, for someone looking for a non-technical riding jacket or for someone who just wants a jacket for occasional rides. There are certainly better jackets on the market but this one is a steal.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wrote the above review a while back. Since then, it's been my go-to jacket for casual/daily wear and it's seen a few short rides in my hood. I am pretty pleased with my purchase and have noticed no stitching problems. I'm a stay-at-home dad to an 18 month old daughter so it sees a variety of conditions from play dates to errands to a few rides. I wear a 38 suit jacket and a size 40 in this jacket allows me to wear it solo or with a stout hoodie and thermal with it. All I need is to get some patches on it and keep breaking it in for spring.
$60 bucks i bought mine for $180 back in the 80s still have it slight tear in the linning but the exterior leather is still good.

Back
Top Bottom