1976 CB360 scrambler/tracker/heck of I know!

ryan_289

I picked up a 76 CB360 last week from a guy I work with. I had mentioned getting an older bike to tinker on and he fixed me up! I've restored old Willys jeeps and 2cyl john deere tractors in the past but never worked on any motorcycles. I had an 84 Honda xl80 when I was a kid but that's about it. Motor was stuck and the kickstarter shaft was bent. I did get it freed up but I'll be tearing into the top and bottom of this one. My goal is to go with a dual sport type tracker/scrambler build and actually use it that way. We have lots of backroads and forest service roads here in the Russellville AR area I'm from. I found an article on a bike that really caught my eye. http://www.pipeburn.com/home/2017/09/18/honda-cb360t-tracker-ironwood.html
I like the fact that they kept the air boxes and passenger pegs, it makes it a little easier I think. Does anyone have any idea of the tire sizes those are? Seat will probably have to be a little thicker if I actually want to ride it much I think. Anyway I've read several threads already and look forward to getting back on a bike. I haven't done much more than take a friend's bike around the block a couple of times in over 20 years!

156067edeee8162c951397323f047964.jpg
c663ed6f786b1ce3760f5bb4c73fabc3.jpg
7dde905f8829fbac1c5ab6aa425d9c09.jpg
33371cef19969c4122e034120f6c48fb.jpg
6160ae3d281ac032261638838772b90e.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Great bikes. Common motor collective offers some great videos on YouTube about these bikes. I would definitely reccoment doing the timing chain tensioner I put wiseco 10.5/1 compression positions in miy 360 I was very happy with

Got a lot of parts stripped off tonight. Wow this thing has a lot of wires! I cant imagine needing all of them when I get done. I cant seem to figure out how to get the throttle cables loose from the carbs? I'm going to get the engine pulled in the next few days and reinstall the tank and figure out what I want to do for a seat. My old one is toast, including the metal pan. Is my first step figuring out what seat I want to run and then figure out the seat loop? Who makes a quality seat setup that will have sufficient padding? A lot of the ones I see look too thin. Its dirty but not near as dirty as the 48 CJ2A I restored. I had buckets of dirt and grease when I got it torn down!

b545618835427b8680cc5477190e6804.jpg
a750cab95b9591957c9684bf4f9ef722.jpg

Throttle cables are pretty simple. Not sure if you mean they are stuck in some way, or if you can't figure out the mechanism. Loosen the 4 bolts in the pic. On the top cable, you have to remove the bolt closest to the carb all the way until it hangs on the cable, then pull it up and slide the cable through the slot in the mount. Then push the cables until they line up with the slot on the throttle pull, slide the cable through those slots and push the end of the cable out.

77150-170718222751.jpeg

Ive found that you can remove the carbs with the cables attached, and refot cables before fitting carbs, which is easier than when the carbs are on the engine.

Undo the carb retaining clamps
Remove the right cylinder carb to cylinder rubber adapter
Carbs will come out on the rhs

Steve

Sderbyshire said:
Ive found that you can remove the carbs with the cables attached, and refot cables before fitting carbs, which is easier than when the carbs are on the engine.

I actually will leave the cables attached to do a quick cleaning or if you're rejetting, etc. to access the float bowls. May work with the stock box, too but I never had one on my 360...

Regardless, you can pull the carbs off the intakes and flip them upside down, then pull the bowls off and remove jets/etc that need to be cleaned. Works great for a bike thats been sitting a short amount of time and needs the jets blown out, but I'd definitely still recommend a full cleaning on a bike that's been sitting an extended period of time.

Got most everything disassembled. I scrubbed most of the loose dirt and grease from the motor in preparation of splitting the case for the kickstart shaft replacement. I ordered all new bearings for the wheels and bushings for the swingarm. I am going to have the frame and swingarm blasted and either powdercoated or painted. I haven't decided yet. I need to figure out what I'm doing for a seat so I know what to cut off and what to leave. It's nice to have an old machine to work on again. It's been a few years since I finished the jeep.
00b588063fd31c7af1c750b4e0dec89f.jpg
bf37ebc794866266c0b82bf8e11468b2.jpg
6e7108beb214b1821d0e181bd371797d.jpg

My kickstart shaft was broken and after one unsuccessful attempt at a good one on Ebay later, I found this little NOS jewel. It might be dumb but I get a kick out of opening NOS parts. The best ones for me were surplus Willys parts that had been packed cosmoline and foil paper back in the 50s. At least this one is already clean
Hopefully I'll get the case split this weekend and post some updates.
63a98620e6da6742f81a36690cb18c53.jpg

Gotta love NOS parts. I had to get a new kick start shaft for one of mine, usually the bolt on kickstart comes loose and splines get chewed up but several people have said they have broken kickstart shafts? I think it may be due to 'slap kick' like 360 was a 50cc MX toy instead of keeping foot on kickstart and allowing it to come back up slowly?

I got this nice orange tank in today! It has a couple of dents but is much nicer than the one I had. I got my tires mounted up and new shocks installed. I'm going to wait until my seat comes in before I cut any tabs or make a rear hoop. I ended up ordering the 24.5" low profile seat from Texavina. Should I leave the side covers black or try and have them decently color matched to the tank?
e1428dbc032d30dbe531c1fe8baac510.jpg
fcac32b8cc8f422dfe8fc10a6fd0c173.jpg
1e547c3629c63fa9855fb13b22b9404d.jpg

I got all the old yellow clear off of my fork lowers. Polish, paint, or leave as is?
61436dae9722087349a5f05617af0d56.jpg

I scotchbtite'd the fork tubes on my CB - it's a great looking "brushed" finish and only needs a going over once or twice a season to keep any oxidization at bay. You could always hit them with a 2K clearcoat as well if you didn't want to keep having to do that.

Here's a before and after -

VUujWXo.jpg

Tube on the right has factory clear and oxidization, on the left it's stripped and scotchbrited. Actually now that I look back on my thread, I sanded them first with 80, 180, 400 grit and then scotchbrited them. After over a year they still look just the same - I just give them a once over with scotchbrite and job's a good'un.

So fresh and so clean clean. As much as I dig what you're doing with this 360, where can we go check out your Willy's builds?! They've been on my mind for a few months for some reason

Back
Top Bottom