'71 CB350 with GSXR front end and other improvements

Hmm, just when I think I got it figured out, it seems I dont! If you could take a look at this CBR1000RR wiring schematic below. The best I can figure this out - the headlight hi-beam relay only gets activated when the dimmer switch is toggled to high beam. Where is the relay for the low-beam line? I'm trying to figure out what part I'll need to order if I do need to run a relay. I took a look at your build .. looks amazing! (And your electrical expertise far exceeds mine own.)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7792046/CBR1000RRWireDiagram.jpg

neevo said:
Not quite. On modern bikes the single switch activated a 5 pin relay which switches a single input (power) across two outputs (low & high beam). The switch in the handlebars runs power to the relay to switch across the two outputs.

On my CB400F project I used R1 controls, a 5 pin relay and a custom wiring harness for the headlight switch. Headlight doesn't come on with ignition (to save battery power), its only activated when the bike is put into run.

Looks like your headlight dimmer has 3 wires, not the same as mine (mines only 2), therefore you've got no need for a relay as you can switch between hi/low.

Sounds like you've got it figured out... I'll shut my mouth ;)

There is a headlight relay in the diagram though. Do you have a higher res version o do you know what year your controls were off?

haha ok! awesome! glad to have some confirmation i'm on the right track then. appreciate your input!

and i also saw you've implemented a keyless ignition. i was sort of mulling the idea myself.. but had no notion where to start. i might be hitting you up for a few thoughts (but ill be going with key ignition for this part of the build at least).

neevo said:
Looks like your headlight dimmer has 3 wires, not the same as mine (mines only 2), therefore you've got no need for a relay as you can switch between hi/low.

Sounds like you've got it figured out... I'll shut my mouth ;)

neevo said:
There is a headlight relay in the diagram though. Do you have a higher res version o do you know what year your controls were off?

the wiring schema seems to match what the controls i have are. (at least the colors match up). you can download the jpg from that link then zoom it.. its really quite a big file.

Ignition - no probs, happy to help.

Diagram - send it over, I'll have a good look and see what's going on.

http://youtu.be/LIY2Ha50hA8

Today was a big milestone! Over the span of the last 12 months, I rebuilt the entire engine, redid all the wiring and threw on the new pamco ignition, rick's ignition, dynacoils and all that. So while it all looked good on paper, I had no f-ing clue whether it would all actually work and the engine would fire up?!

So I put on the gas tank, hooked up the lines and gave it a few kick starts.... how does it sound to you all?!

timmysf said:
So I put on the gas tank, hooked up the lines and gave it a few kick starts.... how does it sound to you all?!

Noisy...............

Other than that it's hard to tell.

Using a relay on the headlight is a great idea. Wire one each for the high and low beams and you should be golden. You could probably wire in a NC Normally Closed relay to operate both high and low beams as you switch from one to the other

Been quiet on this thread for a while, but it didn't mean that nothing was going on. I finished up all the wiring, controls and felt confident enough to go ahead and take apart the whole bike again to send the frame out for powdercoating.

back from the powdercoaters with a nice coat of black-bronze!
IMG_0013.jpg

put the front and back end on again (hopefully for the last time)
IMG_0017.jpg

after wrapping up the frame with cardboard to protect the paint, we got the engine in.
IMG_0018.jpg

gas tank on top.
IMG_0019.jpg

its late now so tomorrow i'll go and strap in the wiring. we have the seat out to the upholster(er?) to build up. it'll be a flat seat in the brat style, light brown color.

AutumnOrangeGT said:
damn thats sexy looking! Did you have to do anything to the bearings or frame? or do those GSX forks just fit perfectly?

yes it fits perfect with no modification........... (read the thread fully)

Cool build - glad to see you're still going at it! BTW, do you have any more pictures of your battery box? Looks like a nice, subtle change from stock.

Hey Timmy, how do you plan on mounting that front brake reservoir? Mines hanging like that at the moment too as I don't have a way of mounting it at the correct angle yet:

u8etateh.jpg

BarnBurner said:
Cool build - glad to see you're still going at it! BTW, do you have any more pictures of your battery box? Looks like a nice, subtle change from stock.

I've been fiddling around with ideas for the battery box. I'm doing a completely flat brat style seat so I can't hide the battery and electronics in the rear hump like some of those cafe racers. Here's the latest iteration I have - but I'm going to tweak it somewhat again.

IMG_0038.jpg

One thing I'm going to change is where the front part mounts. I had tried attaching it to the tab just below the gas tank - but it's not working out for a couple reasons, so I'm going to shorten it slightly and fabricate a cross-member across the frame and attach to that instead.

IMG_0037.jpg

But the basic idea is that this will probably "flow" better with the lines of the frame when it's painted black and covered up on the sides. I'm going to drill a large hole on the shallow side and fit a grommet where the wiring will pass through. I'm also using a li-ion battery which is much smaller and lighter than the standard lead-acid. This type of battery can be placed at any angle too.

neevo said:
Hey Timmy, how do you plan on mounting that front brake reservoir? Mines hanging like that at the moment too as I don't have a way of mounting it at the correct angle yet:

hey neevo - I need to go out and get the mounting bracket for the reservior. But on the right clip of the GSXR clip-ons, theres a screw hole where u can put in a short pan-head (M6 i think) and I believe thats where the bracket mounts on.

timmysf said:
hey neevo - I need to go out and get the mounting bracket for the reservior. But on the right clip of the GSXR clip-ons, theres a screw hole where u can put in a short pan-head (M6 i think) and I believe thats where the bracket mounts on.

yep just wanted to confirm that's where it mounts. I believe its a M6 Also as well.

I like the new battery box design. It flows well with the angle of the rear downtubes and should look killer with sidepanels on it. If you keep the back free from components it would kind of serve as a rear fender too.

Yes! I like the current design/lines as it is. And I didnt quite think about it functioning as a rear fender but you could say that. :)

BarnBurner said:
I like the new battery box design. It flows well with the angle of the rear downtubes and should look killer with sidepanels on it. If you keep the back free from components it would kind of serve as a rear fender too.

So the seat came back from the seat-builder.

IMG_0044.jpg

Its a wee bit narrower than I had envisioned - doesnt quite cover the frame sides as much as I'd like, but thats my own fault. I should have made the seat pan wider, but it feels comfortable to sit on.. although I dont quite plan to do the iron butt on this bike. :)

Back
Top Bottom