1972 cb/cl 100

Plug chop shows lean. It was black from me foweling it last week. I cleaned it with a wire brush, a little sand paper and a cloth. Went for a ride, did the chop and it's white on the tip. Still can't get throttle above fifty percent with out it getting mad.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1433791683606.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1433791683606.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 219
Other thing I learned is that the suspension in the rear is super stiff. Previous owner put on these air shocks. I feel like I'm riding a back yard mini bike with no suspension. Going to look into fixing these or getting something else.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1433791879289.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1433791879289.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 206
^^^^can you let some air out to soften them up a little?^^^^^^^^

If that were a new plug looking like that...it wouldnt be half bad. But since it was charred black to start with...yep, she may be a little lean.

Might check float height. Stock is 24mm. I dont know what your carb "should be" but you may lower it a couple mm from where they are now.

If your in the market for new rear shocks. davequinnmotorcycles.com Dave just built these custom for Rachels ride. His first pair for a CL100 and hes been building shocks for like 30 years. So, hes got all the measurements now. ;)

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=65898.msg760791#msg760791

Cool. I'll check the float, could that cause the issues at 50% throttle and up? I might grab a new plug again to verify lean, then work on the carb. Thanks for the shock info.

BTW Im not 100% the shock will clear the chain guard...hell, clear the sprocket for that matter. ::) May be a small mod to fit them properly. Dave will tune them for the weight of the bike + the rider. and the "style" of riding. They also have 3 settings...soft med and stiff.

Yes, if the float is too is too high. it can cause her to be lean. Lowering it will richen her up.

26mm leaner
24mm stock height
22mm richer

Here are the two jets that came out of the carb I have. Going to the Honda shop to try to find a couple bigger main jets options.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1434139023173.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1434139023173.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 261
JB77 said:
Here are the two jets that came out of the carb I have. Going to the Honda shop to try to find a couple bigger main jets options.

It doesn't seem you have the original carb. Those look way different than mine.

My problem is I lost the throttle spring, I think I may have left it in the vinegar too long and it disintegrated.

Here's what happened to the bowl clip.

Attachments

• P1040755.JPG
    P1040755.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 210
  • P1040756.JPG
    P1040756.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 216
Wow, that is thin. I know mine is not original. The PO had the original, said it was shot. He bought another one off eBay, that one was shot. He got this brand new one off eBay, but it is not the right one. I'm going to try to make it work. I thought a main jet was a small piece that screwed into the end of the needle jet. I'm pretty carb illiterate though.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna order that carb trek97 told us about a few post back.

I'd really like to stick with original as much as possible.

I still need a battery and to fix the hacked up wire harness.

I'm still trying to make this one work since there is No airbox if I bought the one trek did, I would still need to mess with the jets. Guys at the shop showed me how to take the main jet apart. It was only a #85, so I grabbed a #90 and #92.5. I'll try the #90 first thing tomorrow. The stock carb has a #110 main jet so who knows if I'll get it close tomorrow with this eBay special.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1434150062306.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1434150062306.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 225
Also saw this beauty while I was there.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1434152073082.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1434152073082.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 197
JB77 said:
I'm still trying to make this one work since there is No airbox if I bought the one trek did, I would still need to mess with the jets. Guys at the shop showed me how to take the main jet apart. It was only a #85, so I grabbed a #90 and #92.5. I'll try the #90 first thing tomorrow. The stock carb has a #110 main jet so who knows if I'll get it close tomorrow with this eBay special.

sounds like a plan

I like that scrambler...................just gotta stick with it till you get her going.

#90 is not the winner. #92.5 is up after lunch. I'm feeling like I'll be at the Honda shop before work tonight grabbing a couple sizes up.

Now im not gonna tell you what to do...but I would get a 100 &110.

Making a change? make a big change...and see a result. ;)

trek97 said:
Now im not gonna tell you what to do...but I would get a 100 &110.

Making a change? make a big change...and see a result. ;)
Haha, yep. That's what I figured I should have done. Always learning, right? Going to pop the 92.5 in cause I can't return jets and it's here. See how that is, then head to buy the bigger ones on way to work.

Hoping Im wrong and the 92.5 is "the one" ;)

The good news is these carbs are a breeze to access.

I just grabbed a #100,110, and a #115. Didn't have time to check the #92.5 before I had to leave. I just hope it's one of those. I bet the #110 or #115 will get it.

I bet the 110. Try it first. Run her dead steady at your average cruising speed for a couple minutes and do a chop.

Back
Top Bottom