"Tangerine Dream" / Glemseck - KZ750

Hi Greg

One is from an early Merc SL200 [ CLK similar ], generic to a few models at that time. The other is unknown origin as it came to me highly modified from a Ford Hill Climb car [ injection ].

They're all basically the same [ M45 ], just the intake configuration alters from model to model. The Mini version is very compact, and has the intake in line with the rotors.

It's best to check the various M45 units on offer to see which has the best layout for intake.

The Eaton is a good unit for 750cc - 1500cc applications as they will safely stand overdriving if required.

They [ blowers ] work really well on twins - I built dozens for myself and others in the 60's - mainly Triumph.

If you are prepared to wait, they are available for around £100 - £150 in good useable condition.

Only issues [ apart from rotor debris damage ] is the flexible snout coupler [ behind drive pulley ] and sometimes [ rarely ] the bearings.

Even slight rotor scratching / dings don't affect the performance much [ if noticeable ! ]

Both are a simple / reasonably cheap fix - MUCH cheaper than a Turbo rebuild, and simple to do yourself ! ;)

The one with modified billet conversion was from the Ford Hill Climber and rigged for FI.

Attachments

• Eaton Blower 014.JPG
    Eaton Blower 014.JPG
    616.8 KB · Views: 201
  • s-l1600 (3).jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    414.2 KB · Views: 202
  • blower M45.jpg
    blower M45.jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 225
Intake for the blown motor sorted. Turns out I have the "large" intake stubs from the original bike. ;D

Plan now is to grow a couple of tubes from them to a large circular plenum at right angles and have the blower feeding that.

Simple, and should also be efficient and compact - room is tight. The two separate intakes will also give me somewhere to plumb the NOS foggers ( 1 per cylinder ).

Any of my US cousins got a couple of fogger units sitting in the shed doing nothing !!??

I'll also be looking for solenoids etc. in due course.

That's it ................... youngest Daughter Shelby finally got married at the weekend and I can now get back to doing "my" stuff.

The twin plug head is finally completed - needed a small amount of remedial welding on one of the top fins. I hope to have it in my hands by the end of the month. During the same deal, I will be collecting my late model engine and spare mule frame so I can mock up the blower and components on the bench while I'm getting on with finishing the rolling chassis.

So we should be seeing some progress soon. I'm still looking for some cheap used Nitrous foggers [ 2 ] and any solenoids, etc. I'm only looking for a 100 bhp shot as the blower should add at least 40 bhp. Also a used MSD 6AL or similar.

beachcomber said:
That's it ................... youngest Daughter Shelby finally got married at the weekend and I can now get back to doing "my" stuff.

The twin plug head is finally completed - needed a small amount of remedial welding on one of the top fins. I hope to have it in my hands by the end of the month. During the same deal, I will be collecting my late model engine and spare mule frame so I can mock up the blower and components on the bench while I'm getting on with finishing the rolling chassis.

So we should be seeing some progress soon. I'm still looking for some cheap used Nitrous foggers [ 2 ] and any solenoids, etc. I'm only looking for a 100 bhp shot as the blower should add at least 40 bhp. Also a used MSD 6AL or similar.

Holy cow you are building a beast!

Now we're talking. Funnily enough, I've been going through old mockups today and will probably test fit something this weekend... (nope, not a blower)

I'm looking for a "streetable" 100+bhp [ blower alone ] ......................... with the Nitrous just in case. I'm always cautious when bandying "BHP" figures, too much BS out there. And that's another reason for having the spare bullet in the garage. The blower should comfortably lift the power to 100 - maybe in the 110 range depending on overdrive. The blower will stand 25% OD with no problems and still be streetable. The KZ750 motor is very well designed, with a strong bottom end so I'm quite confident it will stand the extra blow.

Greg, I'm always intrigued with your projects ! And I'm sure this one will be as interesting as the others. Watching your various projects reminds me of myself when I was a mere youth ! 8) I always had 4 or 5 projects going at the same time, as well as building stuff for others.

CC, after all the dramas of the past 2 years or so - I decided that the "last hurrah" should be a good one ! The Tracker is morphing rapidly into the 60's Cafe Racer that the Vindicator would have been. I REALLY am coming to the end of my creative [ as in actually building ] life and decided I would go out with a bang - not literally I hope! ::) With the spare motor / frame I had thought of doing a Tracker and a Caff Racer, but I have to be realistic. My main problem as always, is getting the speciality bits done. I have to pester friends or wait until some funds come in. :'( A job that would take Greg [ for example ] a weekend - takes me at least 4-6 weeks as I'm at the mercy of asking for favours to be done. The head is one example .... through NO fault of the guy that got it done for me - 5 months ! he's relying on someone else, who is then relying on a third party - etc., etc. I'm NOT complaining . the head will end up costing me around £30, and most of that is carriage of jigs etc. ;D OK, there's a bit of bartering and swapping of parts going on as well.

Now the wedding's out of the way, and my daughter's 50th at the end of the month, I can get back to the mundane bits of work that don't require any favours / funds for the time being.

I thank you all for your interest and encouragement - means a lot. ;)

Have you noticed that life is full of "good news / bad news" moments !!! ::)

The bad news is that the guy [ Dave, recovering from cancer ] who took over my old workshop unit and had offered a space there to work on the bike while he made parts - has had a relapse. :'(He can only work the odd day per week, which means I would have no daily access to the bike if it went up there- and it's 20 minutes away.

And literally the same day I got the news, my old pal Brian [ also in remission from Cancer ;D] said that he had finally got his garage sorted out - and had a KZ750 sized space where I could work on it ! 10 minutes away! ;D

This is also the guy that used to build my replicas for his own clients AND was the UK agent for Russell hosing and had his own mobile workshop that he took along to Drag Race meetings ! He still has all his hosing tools and jigs etc, and even has boxes of fittings and the odd length of hose ! He is a meticulous [ almost anal ] worker and very good at wood patterns, which will be a big help when it comes to mocking up the blower , etc.

So, the plan C [ or is it D ? ;)] is to get the bike off the workbench in my shed - remove wheels and accessories and the move the whole project into his garage. In the interim, I'll get my bike ramp cleaned up [ too dirty for his spotless garage ! ] and taken round there. THEN we can take the measurements for the wheel spacers etc and get the chassis truly rolling. First pal Dave will make the bits as promised - just have to wait until it's one of his "good" days. If that's not an option due to his health, I need to find another "friendly" machinist.

Getting the bike bits and work ramp round to his garage ALSO clears space to assemble my Engine hoist and stand - then work can also get started in earnest on my supercharged 2.3 Volvo lump for my 940 wagon project !! 8)

All in all feeling very positive, if a bit sad about my pal Dave's relapse.

Re: "Tangerine Dream" / Glemseck - KZ750

Great news (mostly), winter build is on then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alex jb said:
Great news (mostly), winter build is on then
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You bet !!
I spent the day taking ref: pix of the current mock up and making a list of all the parts I need to take round to his garage.

I'm also drawing up a work schedule, so that we have some sort of plan to work to ! The exhaust will be a mirror image on the right side to clear the blower drive. For those interested - the fairing is a Norvil repro item - I have a smoked grey screen for it. I'll probably use my AJS 7R seat base, not the XR750 shown.

It will be my homage to the Cafe Racer bikes of my youth [ 1960s ]

Attachments

• KZ750 sept 2017 006.jpg
    KZ750 sept 2017 006.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 177
  • KZ750 sept 2017 010.jpg
    KZ750 sept 2017 010.jpg
    542.1 KB · Views: 190
  • kz oil system 011.jpg
    kz oil system 011.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 198
  • kz oil system 010.jpg
    kz oil system 010.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 185
john83 said:
Looking good!

Thanx for the encouragement John. My pal is coming to see me this morning [ Brian ] to discuss the logistics of getting everything round to his garage. He's busy making cupboard / storage space [ !! ] available for all the various parts to be used. He is no longer a biker [ last bike a MAC Velo in 1954 ! ], so to get up to speed he watched 8 hours of You Tubes - "How to rebuild your KZ750" just to get up to speed ! Did I say he was a VERY special old friend ?

In all honesty it's just the pick me up I needed. Not only superb build space [ + heat and light - oh and non ending coffee supply ! ], but actually having a "build buddy" is invaluable when you get those "can't be bothered" moments. Not to mention the odd two handed jobs. Always thought that phrase should have been "4 handed jobs " ??

The plan is to have the bike / ramp installed and the bike loosely set up again by the end of November. We can start taking measurements for the parts that need to be made and hopefully by then, my other pal [ Dave ] will be well enough to start making bits.

I spent yesterday [ Friday ] with Brian giving his garage a final prep to get the bike and stand round there. ;D

He's got to clear out some stored furniture that he's been meaning to sell for a few years [!] - then I can move in.

Pix will start again in October , when hopefully there's something meaningful to show ! ::)

That's it - bike all stripped and bubble wrapped frame parts. All other relevant parts [ most !! ] boxed and LABELLED ready to move.

All except the wheel spindle nut for the Grimeca front hub .............. It's a bastard size - 15mm x 1.25 - trust the Italians ! I found one on E-Bay - £39.00 :eek: Then I found the same size and spec. for a Chinese Pit Bike - £3.25 ;D
Once the bike and parts are out of the shed I can have a bloody good clear up and get my new compressor [ new and unpacked for 3 years ! ] and see if it will run my soda blast pot. I can also continue my aborted experiments with the cheapo metalflake I bought a couple of years ago. It's actually for craftwork - cards, finger nails, etc. - but it appears to me it is the SAME as we use in the auto industry, but a 10th of the price. I'm going to try to suspend it in Cellulose clear lacquer. We'll see.

Attachments

• s-l225.jpg
    s-l225.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 475
  • flake ali.JPG
    flake ali.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 482
  • 68 roadrunner lights 007.jpg
    68 roadrunner lights 007.jpg
    686.1 KB · Views: 178
Well that didn't go to plan !!!!

Turns out that what the seller MEANT was a 15mm dia. spindle with a 1.25 nut ...... ergo a 14mm nut ::)...TWATS :mad:

PROGRESS ....................... here's my twin plug conversion. Now beadblasted and ready for blueprinting. The damage to the one exhaust port floor has now been rectified.

Looking very much like building the "first" concept engine [ as pix] with the 40DCOE Weber and high level 2 >1 exhaust - maybe with a second twin plug head [ my pal has jigs now ], while the "Glemseck" engine will continue with the Eaton blower.

The Weber engine MAY end up in a Boardtracker style bike or even something along the lines of "Willow", but using my La Francais Diamant OEM tank. Over 100 years old and NEVER been used !!! I still have a load of period accessories from my aborted TR1 Boardtracker. Suitable rolling chassis donors come up several times a month from France [ see pic ]. There's a couple of main importers and prices are in the £400 - £500 range

Attachments

• 7073_588b3ec2625b7.jpg
    7073_588b3ec2625b7.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 171
  • 7073_588b3ea975c99.jpg
    7073_588b3ea975c99.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 178
  • $(KGrHqVHJCkE+Q4RwIUCBP5wJHrpk!~~60_58.jpg
    $(KGrHqVHJCkE+Q4RwIUCBP5wJHrpk!~~60_58.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 520
  • Picture 068.jpg
    Picture 068.jpg