DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT! NEW ENGINE COLORS AND PHOTOS!

Re: "77 Honda CB550 SuperSport By DWMS Cafe Racer / Joes Performance

joeyputt said:
I am REVERSE PORTING my cb550...CARBS OUT FRONT...EXHAUST OUT BACK!

I like to see different ideas, but this is an old one and I don't recall any cases where it was of any advantage. Drag racers tried it and never went as fast as with conventional arrangement. That 4 cyl drag bike has a blower on it and it's back to front to make the plumbing etc easier.

It really screws up the fueling as speed rises. Working out cam timing is enough of a challenge, but jetting will be interesting without a still air plenum. Not saying it's a bad idea, but .. No wait. I am saying it's not a good idea.

Re: "77 Honda CB550Four SUPER REVERSE PORT By DWMS Racing

I didn't think it was possible to fit 550 head backwards, the cam chain tunnel is all 'wrong'?
I guess with a bunch of welding it could be made to fit?

was going to do this with my 175 to avoid cutting the frame

I came to the conclusion that;

theres a good chance the ram air effect will mess with your mixture at speed

Crap will go all over the airfilters

the exhaust ports will no longer be in the direct air flow for cooling

and Two Words - Roasted Cashews :eek:

That said, go for it. Makes people take a second look at the very least

I don't know man. I wish you luck in this venture, but to me, one of the most aesthetically pleasing things about these old bikes is the pipes encircling the engine. Carbs with stacks, or God forbid pods, out front would just look awkward. Just my .02, but I'd love to see that nice engine complimented/cradled by a nice set of pipes.

I think it would look cool with custom stacks like slash cut exhaust tips so it isn't direct in line with the air flow which would regulate the air a bit better.

pawn said:
I think it would look cool with custom stacks like slash cut exhaust tips so it isn't direct in line with the air flow which would regulate the air a bit better.

That may look "cool" but carbs don't work well with airflow that's turbulent. They need relatively still air. Besides, back to front motors just look wrong and scream "I don't understand this shit, but it looks cool" to me at least.

Whether you agree or disagree, love it or do not like it at all, I would like to thank you all for your comments and opinions!

Here is a little more about what I am doing without going into too much technical detail.

As for it being an old idea I have never seen a TRUE reverse port motorcycle engine, meaning NOT turning the head around. I am not saying it has never been done as it is possible that someone has tried it, I have just personally never seen one. I have seen photos of engines with the head turned around and know some of the big drag racers turn their heads around. I am NOT turning my head around, the head will remain in its stock location with the exhaust ports becoming the intakes and the intake ports becoming the exhaust, it is commonly done on other non motorcycle engine racing applications so I am a little unsure as to why so many are skeptical about carburetor performance here but I value and respect everyones opinions. As for my own opinions I have never liked the exhaust on the front of the engine and the carbs on the rear, I know at least one of you commented on how much you like the looks of the pipes on the front but as far back as I can recall I have always thought the design was backwards and I personally really like the idea and looks of the carbs on the front and exhaust on the back of the engine. I am going to split the rack of four carbs into two sets of two carbs and they will be mounted as a pair on each side of the front of the engine facing forward with a slight angle away from the bike on each side. I am planning on using Mikuni 26's for carburetors however after chatting with vonyinzer this morning I am loving the look of the sidedraft webers!

I respectfully thank you all for your opinions and comments so keep them coming!

www.dwmsracing.com
000_0012.jpg

I'm assuming you will be removing the head and putting bigger valves on the exhaust side and keeping stock size on the intake side then? I can't see it working too well with small intake valves and big exhaust valves, I'll be staying tuned in for this one, go get to work :-D

Have you considered going with a two carb design? One carb for the left two cylinders and one for the right two? Could make it appear a little more streamlined up front.

Yes Force there will be a valve and seat swap in the process.

Ringo, I had originally wanted to go with the Mikuni's but yes I am really thinking about dual weber sidedrafts now! You are right they really would look nice, clean, and streamlined and I love the short height of them over a tall carb like the Mikuni! Vonyinzer put some pic's up of them while I was on chat this morning and I am really liking them and it looks like I can get them from 26mm and up!

Cool! That could look pretty slick.

Side draft Webers look great on an old CB750 for sure. Now I better understand your plan. Thanks for explaining it. That will involve some welding in the ports to get decent port shapes for the new seats, but nothing that hasn't been done before. I'm not saying it can't be done or that you shouldn't do it. Just cautioning that there are likely to be issues that arise that you maybe haven't had a chance to think through yet.

The difference between a bike and almost any other powered vehicle is that old bikes have their motors and carbs out in the fresh air where it's harder to get arirflow to go where you want it to.

The closest Auto example that comes to mind is teh 8 port Mini motors that had moved the intakes from behind the motor to in front and they came with Amal Concentric carbs IIRC.

Brother Teazer you made me so happy with that post! I was starting to wonder if we would ever get on the same page with this idea! I am not always the best at explaining exactly what it is I am doing so sometimes it is better for me to let photos show the work! I was not going to reveal this until I had it up and running but then that other thread came up in the lounge so I had to go ahead and release what my plans were...

...so on the webers have you ever tried them? I have not but really like the idea and the look we could achieve with them!

You'd be best off with Webers or a single carb off a manifold - you won't get a standard carb rack anywhere near the ports with the frame downtubes in the way. Well, not without a lot of extra frame mods anyway.

Not putting down your project - just pointing out some hurdles ;)

Brother Hillsy, the original plan was to split the rack of four carbs into two sets of two and run each set facing forward and at a slight angle outward from the bike which would put each frame downtube in between the intake on each side of the bike...but now those webers are really looking good to me! I am really leaning hard towards the webers now and I can run them the exact same way and with the same slight angle but they would look so much cleaner and much more trick! The weber look is what I wanted from the beginning I just never knew they were made in a sidedraft version which is perfect and they come in 26mm and up...they are just begging to go on this engine!

www.dwmsracing.com
000_0012.jpg

Keep up the good fight my man. Workmanship is superb and i love your perseverence to do what YOU think should be. We're not all sheep!!! Game On!!

Thank You Brother Stik70 for your compliments and support!

teazer said:
That may look "cool" but carbs don't work well with airflow that's turbulent. They need relatively still air. Besides, back to front motors just look wrong and scream "I don't understand this shit, but it looks cool" to me at least.
my whole point was to say the carbs face forward, but the stacks would have an angle collecting air from a less turbulent source.

Awesome. Theyre not cheap, but those Webbers are dead sexy.

Brother Vonyinzer I do not know if you have read all through this thread but I gave you credit for showing me the side draft webers! Man you are not kidding, they are definately sexy! I think I am going to have to delay slightly and go with the webers I just do not see how anything else could compare! Do you still have that pic you showed me of that one? If so please post it on this thread so other folks can see what they look like!

Back
Top Bottom