my first project, 1978 kz 400 (now with 440 bits)

7aliveatlast7 said:
no rush at all, they've just been sitting in my parents garage attic ever since i put the usd's on my kz. and there they will sit until you're ready, haha.

Cool man, I'll let you know

And got a fix for my clutch rod shaft. Here is what we came up with.
brass bushing and valve seal
IMG_20120811_213706.jpg

Had my buddy turn down the bushing to fit the case and the ID to fit the seal
IMG_20120811_213747.jpg

Tapped the seal into the bushing then the bushing into the case. Turned out pretty good, waiting on my new clutch plates to get here to put the motor back in the bike
IMG_20120811_213736.jpg

So now hopefully I have an easily replaceable seal the is relativity cheap

what are you running for jets? i am currently working out some single carb bugs myself.

awesome fix btw on the pushrod seal. just spent 25 bucks finding that thing for mine.

lamoson said:
what are you running for jets? i am currently working out some single carb bugs myself.

awesome fix btw on the pushrod seal. just spent 25 bucks finding that thing for mine.
Thanks, I wasn't about to waste more money on a 30 year old seal again so me and my roommate came up with that. Seems to be holding up so far.

Just got a new vm32 from dime city, still working out the jetting. Rode down to the moto gp race in Indy over the weekend and it was running rich the whole time. I'm thinking my intake design is to blame for some of it, the inside diameter is a little larger than the carb holder so I think it may be dropping fuel in the intake as the air slows entering the manifold. Don't know for sure have to play around with it some more.

I've got a question about your 440 swap. Just pistons/jugs/head and cover? all the other parts are interchangeable? also, you notice a big difference in overall power? low mid high range? I have an old 440 motor I got for free from a friend wasn't sure what to do with it I have all the parts for it except valves and cam. Would I be able to do the swap same as you?

elbes14 said:
I've got a question about your 440 swap. Just pistons/jugs/head and cover? all the other parts are interchangeable? also, you notice a big difference in overall power? low mid high range? I have an old 440 motor I got for free from a friend wasn't sure what to do with it I have all the parts for it except valves and cam. Would I be able to do the swap same as you?

depends on the year of you kz, '74-'77 won't work as the engine is different. '78- newer can be swapped, and really all you need is the jugs and pistons. the heads are identical, but you do have to switch to the 440 style cam chain tensioner.

Back
Top Bottom