1974 KZ400 "Dillinger"

Jmiller1023

I guess since I'm going to be knocking it up a notch on the building of my motorcycle, I should make a build thread.

The motorcycle in its stock form, hanging out in my van
408345_2927213827477_1474864900_3059570_957417142_n.jpg

The next stage, where I painted the stock tank black and took things like the seat/wiring/etc off
IMG_0735.jpg

I didn't like the size of the tank so I went to a salvage place when I was home and bought a small honda tank. This is it just sitting on the frame.
IMG_0858.jpg

I do have a question for ya'll regarding the tank. The frame is 2 inches thick, and the tank only allows for 1 inch if you want to set it all the way on. My question is if it is possible and/or a good idea to pound out that section so that it would fit better? Either way, I like the tank and I can work with it if I am unable to do this.

And here is the inside of the tank. Currently, I am cleaning it out with vinegar and such.
IMG_0878.jpg

More to come, I need to get some new handlebars and finish making my seat to pretty much finish up with the way the motorcycle looks. I also need a new rectifier as mine was all corroded from the old battery and broke when I was taking the wiring harness off. I want to put some sorta knobby tires on it, and get some better looking mufflers. The seat will be sort of flat and I want to say kind of like a bratstyle seat. I'm unsure of whether or not I want to keep the orange and Honda graphic on the tank or take it down to bare metal and leave it that way. Oh, and the motorcycle's name is Dillinger.

hmm that kz has a pretty sharp looking motor maybe i will look into one in the future. Dillinger is a dude's name.... just saying.

I am aware, but my naming the motorcycle Dillinger had less to do with the gender and more with the man John Dillinger and his affinity for escape. The motorcycle represents more to me than a simple machine, I see it more in the light of something that helps me not to think about how I feel about North Dakota and my displeasure for my job. Thus, it is my escape, hence the name Dillinger.

Jmiller1023 said:
I guess since I'm going to be knocking it up a notch on the building of my motorcycle, I should make a build thread.

The motorcycle in its stock form, hanging out in my van
408345_2927213827477_1474864900_3059570_957417142_n.jpg

....at first I thought you lived in a van with your motorcycle....Nice Couch!....That honda tank might work if you can lower it just a tad

I agree, the honda tank would be a huge improvement if you can get it to fit right. As far as hammering the tank to allow the extra inch of clearance, I'd be worried about damaging the rest of the tank in the process. Unless you have a proper metal setup, you'll likely end up putting small dents elsewhere on the tank (namely on top of it). Another option, which wouldn't be expensive, would be to cut the 1'' section out of the tank with a grinder, and have a metal worker fabricate a new 2" piece to fit in its place.

shamus

shamus said:
Another option, which wouldn't be expensive, would be to cut the 1'' section out of the tank with a grinder, and have a metal worker fabricate a new 2" piece to fit in its place.

shamus
That'd be something to consider, I'm going to have to try and find someone who does that in Minot.

An additional bonus to doing it that way is that it would make cleaning the inside of the tank significantly easier if its opened up.

Jacob Agaetis said:
This bike better be freaking loud and heavy if you're naming it Dillinger Escape Plane., just like the band.

http://www.dillingerescapeplan.org
I am aware of, but not a fan of the band, unfortunately.

shamus said:
An additional bonus to doing it that way is that it would make cleaning the inside of the tank significantly easier if its opened up.
It would, but the challenge of finding a decent metal worker up here remains.

Also, this week I have received a new petcock for the tank from Dime City Cycles, and my Bell Helmet and Biltwell bubble visor. Huzzahs. Next week I order the handlebars and grips. I need to get moving on the seat if I want to ride by the end of the month.

get some pics up bro. I love that pic of the kaw chillin in the van like

"whats up guys pass the shnappster over here"

Got my handlebars and all that jazz from DCC. Put it together. Still need some bits and pieces, going to order a seat and rear hoop from them next week. Still waiting on my regulator/rectifier to come in.

IMG_0921.jpg

IMG_0920.jpg

Got the fiberglass seat pan all made up today. I'll put in pictures later. Just have to get some foam and try and find an upholsterer up here that will sew up the seat for me and I'll be good on that. In other news, I might be buying a 1971 CB350 that apparently just needs its carbs rebuilt so I can have something to ride in the meantime. It all really just depends on whether or not I can decide how I'm going to fix the wiring on Dillinger.

axeugene27 said:
the non runners always seem to "just need the carbs rebuilt" don't they
Haha it seems that way. I'm just being optimistic because I don't have too much longer to ride until it starts cooling off.

nowiring.png

So that's a mock up of how it sits now. Fiberglass seat pan didn't work out too well seeing as I couldn't find an upholsterer up here who would do motorcycle seats. I just cut down the foam on the stock seat, should be fine for now. Not sure if I want that rear fender on there, but I dunno. Still fighting the wiring, every time I try and deal with it I get tired of chasing wires and squinting to see where they go on the diagram. Trying to convince a co-worker that used to do wiring to help me out. We'll see.

I'd say aside from some side covers it looks pretty slick. Rear fender looks a little out of place i'd go with a bobbed rounded rear fender with a discreet tail lamp/ plate mount. where the hell have you been btw. Why does your kaw wish it was a honda so bad.

axeugene27 said:
I'd say aside from some side covers it looks pretty slick. Rear fender looks a little out of place i'd go with a bobbed rounded rear fender with a discreet tail lamp/ plate mount. where the hell have you been btw. Why does your kaw wish it was a honda so bad.

I've been moving off base and for about the past month I've been without internet. I actually was thinking if I did have the fender I'd definitely round it out but it seems like it could be a bit of wasted effort if it just looks better without it. I have a small tail/brake light I bought from DCC that I'm working with. And it might have something to do with the tank, haha, this one definitely looks better than the stock one in my opinion.

Also, as far as side covers go, I was thinking of maybe putting some number plates up or something.

Back
Top Bottom