www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: GS550 Special - Project Stray Dog - Finished.  (Read 22678 times)

Offline anton1

Re: GS550 Special - Project Stray Dog - Finished.
« Reply #30 on: Mar 30, 2013, 12:53:00 »
Awesome looking bike man! I just picked up a 1975 cb550 completely stock.  I was thinking of doing a similar build to my bike as you did. I have no experience with bikes at all as this is my first bike, so I was wondering if I would be way over my head taking it all apart and putting it back together with just a repaire booklet? I do wanna clean everything up, theres a bit of rust on frame and so on, so I guess sand blasting would be my best option? Also, what did you do with your battery to get the hollow look under the seat?

Offline biggiesmalls

« Reply #31 on: Mar 30, 2013, 21:51:11 »
Looks great man. Wish I had time/cashflow/knowhow/etc. to do the same ground up stuff for my GS450.
1987 Suzuki GS 450 Build Thread - Just gettin' started.

Offline Mad Ratter

• GS550 Special - Project Stray Dog
« Reply #32 on: Mar 31, 2013, 03:49:23 »
Antwan, this was my first build, sheer bloody-mindedness, determination, coupled with a plan and plenty of patience! Oh and depending on how ambitious you want to be, be prepared to pour a significant amount of cash into it too.
A repair booklet? is that an owners manual? Get a proper manual either Haynes or a Clymer, its invaluable!!!

Im no mechanic but do have a little experience and did train as a mechanical engineer, so some of the fabrication was ok for me.

You could clean the frame up without blasting, but its the easiest option I think, then its ready for paint or powdercoat. But dont paint it before you are completely happy with the the look and function as you don't wanna go hacking with new paint on it. Dry build it first.

I decided to go with kickstart only as its a four cyl and easy to kick. That was so I can junk the starter motor etc and just use a small battery, which is hidden under the seat pan. its only about 2" thick, but its a crap scooter battery and not really up to the job, so I am and recommend getting a decent Lithium Ion one like an "Anti-Gravity", not cheap, but like I said it can become expensive depending on what you want out of it.
Mine was kind of an evolving project that sounding like you, I just wanted to clean it up and simplify it, but I fell deep into the rabbit hole :)
Be prepared! and get that manual!
Good luck.

My next project(s) is a simultaneous build of an XV920 and an XS650, I could be in over my head  ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2013, 03:51:23 by Mad Ratter »
First build, Project "Stray Dog" GS550
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39550.0

Offline skagroovy

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2013, 18:34:03 »
Great bike and build... well done....
Working on my own 78 gs550 and love the bars and bar clamp u used. What bars did u use pro taper? What bend are they?
Also I like the look of the single gauge where did you source that from.
Over all a stellar job on the whole project.

Offline Mad Ratter

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2013, 06:21:49 »
The bars in the pic you refer to are wide low MX bars, no brand, just bought off the NZ auction site Trade Me. I have Renthal Ultra Low road bars now, the gauge was from Mikes XS. same ratio as Yamaha's, perfect! all led too, works real well.

Offline Rich Ard

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • doin' the backstroke in an estrogen ocean
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2013, 08:03:02 »
Very nice indeed.
unplug the connectors from the harness and multimeter the shit out of them

Bad Points, a comic :: CB450 Restomod (sold) :: Viragostrosity :: GL1000 daily rider :: Kaw 175

Offline kwtnk

« Reply #36 on: Jun 07, 2013, 06:22:30 »
The GS 550 is a very nice choice for a bratstyle bike! And you did an excellent job, very nice build and quality work! Incredible that this is your first build.

I am also working on a GS 550 and I am not sure about the size of the rear tire yet. What did you choose? I can see it's a BS Batlax but in which size? 110? 120? 130? Any ideas what is the maximum size without touching the chain?  ;D

Offline Mad Ratter

« Reply #37 on: Jun 07, 2013, 08:35:10 »
The GS 550 is a very nice choice for a bratstyle bike! And you did an excellent job, very nice build and quality work! Incredible that this is your first build.

I am also working on a GS 550 and I am not sure about the size of the rear tire yet. What did you choose? I can see it's a BS Batlax but in which size? 110? 120? 130? Any ideas what is the maximum size without touching the chain?  ;D

I went with the original size, 120/80-18 BT45, I did think about a larger one, but wanted it to handle and steer correctly, I think if you want to go bigger you should lace a wider rim, maybe a 4" for a 130+ otherwise it could be sluggish to turn and the tyre profile would be compromised trying to squeeze too large a tyre on the skinny rim. It does look a little skinny on the back and next time I would go for a wider rim, but not sure of the clearance, tho I think you may only be able to clear a 130.
Good luck with your build and post some pics of your progress!

Offline kwtnk

« Reply #38 on: Jun 07, 2013, 10:18:16 »
I went with the original size, 120/80-18 BT45, I did think about a larger one, but wanted it to handle and steer correctly, I think if you want to go bigger you should lace a wider rim, maybe a 4" for a 130+ otherwise it could be sluggish to turn and the tyre profile would be compromised trying to squeeze too large a tyre on the skinny rim. It does look a little skinny on the back and next time I would go for a wider rim, but not sure of the clearance, tho I think you may only be able to clear a 130.
Good luck with your build and post some pics of your progress!

Thanks Mad! Very helpful advice.

I think I will give it a try and go for a 130 on a 4" rim on the rear hoping clearance is fine. And for sure I will keep you posted on my progress. Like you I will open a new post when my project gets started. I have almost collected all the parts and inspiration I need for it.

Offline M.B Co

« Reply #39 on: Jun 07, 2013, 11:04:03 »
Simply awesome. Love what you have done.