1984 VT250FE

jaderd

Been Around the Block
Hi All,

Couldn't see any other thread section that this would fit, just so you know i dont think its special :)

Ended up buying this on Sat, picked up sunday, Ebay - Melb

Been looking around off and on, predecessor to the Spada and then VTR250

Please correct me if im wrong but from what i can gather so far it is a

VT250FE frame sticker has MC08 on it and II-84
Pretty sure the II means the "two" or meaning which im guessing correlates to the the FE ? as when you drop MC08 into google first link takes to site shows identical one to mine calling it at FE, info on this would be great

its got the wider 120 rear tire and 16" front 17" rear enclosed front disc.

Basics:

Guy selling as had other projects on, from his pics and garage its true, doing up an XP i think it was. Bike was his dads who died 9 months ago, needed it gone, not exactly sure how long his dad had it.

All electrics 100%

Tank has dints and bog and slight leak from left side seam, could do with another or repair. Inside tank seems fairly rusty from what i can gather.

Missing side panels (Anyone have any for sale)

Cracked left mount on side for headlight fairing, not fully snapped so able to repair which is good.

22,000 km ish, seems legit from what i can gather and from owner, trip meter works, cam with manual that had service history written in front from 93 - 94 (covering 7,00km) im guessing owner before the old man.

wouldnt start on pickup, guy seemed genuinely upset, checked for spark which it had so i wasnt too worried. After the drive home it fired up and ran for a few seconds then died then same again, after looking we had fuel tap in wrong position, added fuel, wont go now so think plugs are wet / fouled maybe, cant put my new ones in as all my spark removers are too large, all sockets too short...annoying will grab one in next few days.

Doesnt appear to have any oil leaks as such, light covering of oil / dust on motor but looks moreso never cleaned for age.

So yeah, happy with it & price i paid, scored manual also which helps.

came with no tools in tool box.
Came with the pack rack, guys brother had the bag at his house unfortunately, pack rack will do though.

tires are
Bridgestone Battlax Front 100/90/16 54 H, seems ok, maybe bit dry no cracks around rim though.

Dunlop Arrowmax 120/80/17 61H, got some fine cracking around rim, prob bit dry think ok though i have seen worse on ppls bikes.

Bought new Oil, coolant, plugs etc today will clean up and install soon.

Questions.

Anyone know of any side fairings - any color for sale

Anyone know of a tank - opinions (cost), fix tank or get another one ?
i bought some sealant (Stag jointing paste, petrol application etc)

Need new petrol cap too it has one of those emergency plastic car ones with the spiral plastic that grips

Can you install a normal oil filter/adaptor etc or does everyone just guy the cartridge stock style ?

What fuel should i run (bought just standard unleaded today) do i need to add a valve additive thing.

Plan is just to get it running, fix fairing, make it look ok, club inspection, club reg and ride it.

Advice on anything would be great, once i hear it running and warm obviously if sounds awful there is more i have to do, from the view seconds i heard it run it sounded smooth.

20EB9373-6DF2-4CD1-BFED-7D61246465B4-22937-00002DE05B37D501.jpg

3387A785-15C9-4159-9634-0E922298EBBA-22937-00002DE0592821C4.jpg

776A2E77-EC35-4FBF-A291-4BE364767787-22937-00002DE056428834.jpg

92711459-10C5-4E85-B3B8-CF6AD300A3D8-22937-00002DE057D9337B.jpg

39BB24F0-08F1-47FF-BAA0-E62576248AE7-22937-00002DE05A0328EC.jpg

8556CF47-1258-47D3-8C5C-76016EC18BA7-22937-00002DE06CD2FA82.jpg

I've always had a bit of a soft spot for the little vt250's.... Good get!

Had a bit of a play with bike yesterday.

Took off air box etc, view to side of carbs.

Def fuel getting to the carbs, still didn't get it to start, then I noticed though most of m tests were bloody done without the bloody plug leads on.....hahaha what a fool lol.

Also noticed the fan isn't connected just male end of clip there, nearby are two wires same colour black and blue that have been cut, guessing are whe female part of clip was, so I can fix that up.

Tank is in terrible nick, will have to get repaired or find another.

Does anyone know the best ways / tests to perform re. Severely flooded hence not start ?

Have read things like try starting normal, remove plug, see if wet / how wet, light with match etc.

Walk out flooding ? Not sure exactly how?
Remove plugs, move leads away and use starter to push out excess fuel ?

Any testing advice welcome, if still no starting I will remove carbs etc, looking at carbs I can see previous owner or prior to him has used a sealant of some description to seal bowls, orange color....or maybe supposed to with these carbs.

Cheers

Ok, went back to wreckers and ended up scoring one side panel that fits.

Chatted to guy there who knows his stuff he reckons mine is an import which does ring true with the jap writing around the comp plate that states model and build year.

In aus we had the FD models, the. From there it went to what he called the FJ models (Integra) which is basically

Normal disc front end, not inboard
Different tank - tap built into it
Different side fairings (shorter fatter)
Different front nose cone
Indicators on stalks

My bike appears to be an in between model he hasn't seen many if at all and believes is import

Mine has

"Older" style front but extends lower overs radiator and has indicators built in
Integra type tank with tap built in
Integra side fairings, the one I bought off him is from the "limited edition" model fits perfect
Integra rear fairing
I have Inboard front disc

If anyone is a guru on these and can explain would be great

So yeah need to find another side fairing and even a rear as basically all tabs cracked off

Found a pic online of one like mine, another with full fairing option and also a pic of plate on bike as someone may know if that's a jap plate as opposed to aus item.

7DE74B06-44B9-4EE6-9655-98610D309CB0-24608-0000313D98C384F2.jpg

5508AC8A-8B95-411B-9A11-BE4FD931F37D-24608-0000313DC13F0A69.jpg

8B8D1E4D-064C-4D14-BB45-85B31F368B25-24608-0000313DBD1CB39A.jpg

I love these bikes, (hence my user name :) ) Don't see these 250's everyday. With regards to it being flooded, take all the spark plugs out at one time, push the leads away from spark plug holes, and try to start. It will push out fuel if it's flooded. Do that for a couple of seconds then replace with new spark plugs, and try again. Maybe do a quick compression check while your there?
I really like the lower fairing on, too. Looks great.

Cheers mate,

yeah wouldnt mind getting hands on lower fairing, ebay AU has a lower fairing for $69 but its for an 83 model wont fit properly as this model has integra tank and the different front cowling.

got bike started tonight, put airbox back on and re connected tank etc

would start, run for 2 seconds then die (choke on while starting no throttle)

i then rocked bike back and forth hard, got 5-10 seconds

again got 15 - 20 seconds

then nexdt time started, ran with choke on, if i touched throttle at all - die

start again, left choke on for 1-2 mins, choke off, started slow on throttle and it picked up,

then bike starting increasing in revs heaps, had finger ready on kill switch, went up to 4.5 k and hovered, if i revved it went higher then back down to 4.5k

checked the air screws, front carby (at front of bike i guess is carby 1) the air screw was at 3.5 turns out, carby 2 at 2.5 turns out, quick read of manual mentioned that carby 1 ends up around 1 turn out extra (quick read didnt delve in yet)

so im fairly sure its just crud and crap all throughout carby blocking jets and air.

will play a little again over next few days before i think ill just remove carbys and clean out fully.

and rebuild petcock to ensure no crud gets back in, then might as well just do tank repair right now too i guess....

Look at www.vtr250.org
All these guys do it the VT & VTR.

I just picked mine up couple months ago looks identical.
Good luck on getting it running.

If you want to sell the manual let me know.

Hi, im from Argentina. My english is very poor but, i need the repair manual of this model exactly.
I have a manual repair for Vt250F but is different version.

Back
Top Bottom