Brat-ish build: '81 KZ-440B

I put the cyl head cover back on this evening. The manual says to adjust the valve clearances at the very end after putting everything back together, but I didn't remove the rocker shaft or anything, so would i still need to? i didn't adjust them, so if I made a mistake let me know

M.B Co said:
Nice work. Good to see more KZ440's popping up.

thanks for the kind words!

sorry for the crappy phone pic, here's the painted cyl head cover:

2012-12-14_17-24-03_617_zpsf19f9c0e.jpg

Well I mustered the patience today to replace the fork seals. I followed the FSM and also a few threads about it, all-in-all it wen't pretty smooth. The hardest part for me was removing that dang wire retaining clip for the top plug. Pushing it down, in order to get to the clip proved pretty difficult. I had to soak it in PB Blaster, torch it, then put it back in the triples to break it free until it could push down. I guess after sitting for 31 years like that, it was a little stubborn to move.

Only about half of the proper amount of fluid came out when draining, so it was definitely due. The front felt really soft before.

I opted to use Amsoil synthetic 10w-30 instead of ATF or fork oil (no mc shops were open today). I weigh 180 and drive pretty aggressively, so I think i'll like the stiffer feel.

IMG_0517_zpsf0b46fef.jpg

The seals didn't look too bad actually, but while its all apart to change the fluid, I might as well pop the old ones out. I had to heat up the fork tube around the seal before I could pry it out with a claw hammer.

Old:

IMG_0518_zpseb0f6372.jpg

I also decided to put on some fork gaiters instead of dust boots, and paint the forks black. Eventually the entire wheel and spokes will be black too.

IMG_0519_zps1313dc12.jpg

IMG_0520_zps4ed49834.jpg

I'll update with pic once the front wheel is back on. I still need to put on new tires, rear brakes, sprockets and chain sometime this winter.

Nice progress. At least one of us is accomplishing something already this winter! Keep it up- springs coming!

Wahoo650 said:
Nice progress. At least one of us is accomplishing something already this winter! Keep it up- springs coming!

Haha don't work too hard on your xs, then I won't be able to laugh at that god-forsaken starter grinding noise when we go riding again!

Alright well here she is. The only issue yet is I think i screwed up the whole "brake pad synchronization" thing, as they aren't functioning up front properly after following the steps in the the fsm. I guess i'll repeat that later. I'll prolly post a topic in the appropriate section about tips for sync'ing the front drum brakes.

IMG_0523_zps6e6e8446.jpg

Nice work! Thanks for posting a link to your thread for me to follow! You have done several of the things I am hoping to over the winter. Clubmans, new exhaust and wrap, fork gaiters, etc.

I have to agree with Matt, it is nice to see someone getting something done this early in the winter!

I was in denial that winter was actually here and didn't put the bike away until a couple of weeks ago. The salt from this last snow was the final straw.

Haha yea the salty roads are no fun. When you start a thread of your own, make sure you send me a link as well.

sinbad85 said:
looks really good!

whats the plan for the seat??

thanks!

eventually i'll put a brat seat on it that's swept up slightly in the back like this one from Dime City:

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1//9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/v/i/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-brat-chassis-seat-parts-dcc-originals-diy-steel-top-loop-kit-dcc-toploop-3_1.jpg

I don't have access to a welder right now so i'm a bit outta luck on the seat for a while at least.

sweet thats exactly what i was thinking!
that seat will look good....

ive got a nitroheads sr400 brat seat on my kz750twin....
got it for a steal, then made the rear hoop to match,
so those sr nitroheads seats open up a few more options too...

keep it up

sinbad85 said:
sweet thats exactly what i was thinking!
that seat will look good....

ive got a nitroheads sr400 brat seat on my kz750twin....
got it for a steal, then made the rear hoop to match,
so those sr nitroheads seats open up a few more options too...

keep it up

awesome, thanks for the tip

It's been a little while, been really busy at work so I haven't had much time to work on it, just order little parts over the last few weeks.

I want to finish the mods (tires, sprockets and chain) by the end of March.

Today I got around to spending about 4 hours fixing all the oil leaks.

Replaced:

oil drain plug gasket/washer
oil filter and bolt o-rings
right side crank gasket
left side shift rod gaskets (2)
new/used oil pressure switch (old one was leaking)
new oil pipe gaskets/washers (2)
took off engine covers and put some permatex ultra-black on both side of the gasket.

Hopefully she won't leak a drop now.

Wahoo650 said:
Progress is always good. Been collecting parts lately myself. Looking forward to riding soon!

A few more weeks, then we definitely have to start hitting some places around CLE again!

I finally adjusted the front brake to where I feel somewhat safe and we had 60 degrees here in Cleveland today, so out she went for ~25 miles!

IMG_0563_zps9c0c6453.jpg

IMG_0566_zpscc6b61cf.jpg

I have new sprockets and chain on order.

Do you guys think I should repaint the tank? All gloss black?

New here (but saw your build last year on the KZ Twins site) - I like the contrasting gold/copper paint of the tank and would leave it as-is. I would also keep your wheels chrome but I would make it a solo rider, getting rid of the passenger pegs (keep a bolt in for the exhaust) and swapping out the seat for either a scrambler-style 1-piece or solo seat/rear luggage rack (over rear wheel) setup.

zap2504 said:
New here (but saw your build last year on the KZ Twins site) - I like the contrasting gold/copper paint of the tank and would leave it as-is. I would also keep your wheels chrome but I would make it a solo rider, getting rid of the passenger pegs (keep a bolt in for the exhaust) and swapping out the seat for either a scrambler-style 1-piece or solo seat/rear luggage rack (over rear wheel) setup.

i'm going for more of the black harbinger of death look, so I think i'll definitely spray the wheels all black, but i'm definitely going to put a upswept brat seat on it like those from Dime City, and cut off the passenger pegs as well.

The only thing keeping me from the seat is access to a welder.

maybe i'll do the tank in a dark silver or something.

Back
Top Bottom