Brat-ish build: '81 KZ-440B

well I got done with the last bit of stuff (minus the seat, which will come when I find someone with a welder). I got new tires put on (the only work i didn't do myself on the whole thing), painted the wheels, and replaced sprockets and chain. I also cut off the passenger foot pegs and support tubes, so it cleans up the frame a lot in the back.

Check out some Day 1 >>> Today pics:

IMG_0341-1_zps2616f6b3.jpg

IMG_0344.jpg

IMG_0570_zps0823b8af.jpg

IMG_0568_zps3677bc9c.jpg

IMG_0569_zps194f5ebc.jpg

IMG_0571_zps271c0566.jpg

I'm probably going to paint the tank a dark gunmetal color in the future as well.

Looks nice 8) What size/model Shinkos did you use? I now have a line on a KZ440 B-1 near me and might use your bike as inspiration. I'd still leave your tank as-is and cut down the rear of your seat to a solo version. Maybe either cut back the pan/foam to the rear seat hinge, or just cut the foam back and use the exposed pan to mount a small luggage rack - kind of like this Suzuki TU250X: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/822/81839156.jpg/

zap2504 said:
Looks nice 8) What size/model Shinkos did you use? I now have a line on a KZ440 B-1 near me and might use your bike as inspiration. I'd still leave your tank as-is and cut down the rear of your seat to a solo version. Maybe either cut back the pan/foam to the rear seat hinge, or just cut the foam back and use the exposed pan to mount a small luggage rack - kind of like this Suzuki TU250X: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/822/81839156.jpg/

Thanks! I used some shinko 712's. 110 in the back and 100 in the front.

Well I did it ladies and gentlemen, I decided to go against some opinions and with some others and paint the tank. Yes, the orange looked good, but it's just not the style i'm going for.

It's drying now for the next ~4 hours and then i'll put it on.

I ended up going with VHT engine enamel (not for the heat resistance, but for the color), and picked "Cast Iron".

vht_SP997_zps2829b7c0.jpg

Once it's dry and I put the tank back on later tonight i'll snap a pic of it

zap2504 said:
I'm also interested to see if the VHT engine enamel resists fuel spills w/o a 2-part clearcoat.

The can says that it won't resist gasoline/oil until it is heat cured in 200F. But the normal paint wasn't "chemical resistant" either was it? So i'm not too worried about letting it cure.

I suppose I could take a heat gun to it, but I don't want to bubble up the normal Rustoleum clear coat I put over the VHT

Not sure - "normal paint" to an automotive paint pro means using a 2-part clearcoat; "normal paint" to a shade tree mech like me means... :p
I'd heard that some were using engine or wheel rattle can paint on tanks hoping that there was enough extra protection that a 2-part clear was not necessary. I've seen others that used Spray Max 2K (which is a 2-part clear, just in a single can) because of bad previous experiences. Interested to see your results.

Re: Re: Brat-ish build: '81 KZ-440B

jbeebe said:
The can says that it won't resist gasoline/oil until it is heat cured in 200F. But the normal paint wasn't "chemical resistant" either was it? So i'm not too worried about letting it cure.

I suppose I could take a heat gun to it, but I don't want to bubble up the normal Rustoleum clear coat I put over the VHT

I can say from experience that if your petcock fails a few days after painting that it peels like an old banana

Rich Ard said:
I can say from experience that if your petcock fails a few days after painting that it peels like an old banana

haha petcock is good and new, so there shouldn't be any banana syndrome.

Now that we are discussing paint in a little more detail i'll go through what I did:

It started as a painted tank using unknown paint and methods by the PO.

I scotch-brite pad'd the whole tank
Sanded with 350
Sanded with 600
Sanded with 1000

2 light coats of VHT
1 heavy coat of VHT (each coat 10 min apart)
2 light coats of Rustoleum clear

I like the idea that if I get a chip or whatever, I can just spray it to touch it up with a can from any autoparts store

Re: Brat-ish build: '81 KZ-440B

Won't the clear bubble off anyway?

Here are some pics, it's raining out so I don't want to wheel it out of the garage, but you get the idea. Overall, I think it looks fantastic. It's definitely more of the style i'm going for. The orange looked good, but it "popped" a little too much for me.

IMG_0579_zps6382a601.jpg

IMG_0580_zpse670426c.jpg

Re: Brat-ish build: '81 KZ-440B

Rich Ard said:
Won't the clear bubble off anyway?

You mean if fuel leaks all over it? I suppose so, but hopefully no fuel will leak all over it.

jbeebe said:
You mean if fuel leaks all over it? I suppose so, but hopefully no fuel will leak all over it.

I mean from the heat

Rich Ard said:
I mean from the heat

I only painted the tank with the regular clear, so it won't see enough heat to affect it (or so I think)

All the other engine covers I painted with engine paint as well with no clear

jbeebe said:
haha petcock is good and new, so there shouldn't be any banana syndrome.

I saw on KZ Twins that you changed from the OEM vacuum unit to a manual unit, but did not see any details. Which one did you get (and where)?

zap2504 said:
I saw on KZ Twins that you changed from the OEM vacuum unit to a manual unit, but did not see any details. Which one did you get (and where)?

I got it off ebay from "brownfamilyracing" for 30 bucks

He said that he gets them and "modifies" them to work with the 440.

Honestly, it doesn't completely stop the flow when it's in the "off" position though. I bought it because even after rebuilding my stock petcock, it still let it flow like the Nile.

Rich Ard said:

Yeap. I used the exact same paint. And my drippy dick petcock has done a number on the paint in that area.

Hey guys just wanted to give a little update now that the paint can be seen in the sunlight.

I'm starting off with a pic of the inspiration bike I saved a pic of before I started the build. I probably won't have too much going on in this thread until I put a flat seat on it in the future.

Inspiration 6 months ago:

inspiration2_zps5c639d70.jpg

Now the money:

IMG_0588_zps13957586.jpg

IMG_0586_zpsd847315c.jpg

I'm done doing poser shots now for a while...haha

Back
Top Bottom