1976 CB200T cafe build UK

Re: 1979- CG/CB125 cafe build UK with cb200 twin conversion

I think i might investigate welding a couple of cm185 exhaust brackets onto the frame and use those as the mount points for the rear sets.

$T2eC16J,!)UE9s3wBm2SBQT3qKw-y!~~60_35.JPG

After a bit of digging this guy has come up with s similar solution on a xl100 frame and has done a good job of it, its worth a read.

http://www.eyhonda.com/77xl100-4.htm

Ive extracted some photos to give an idea of what i am going to plagiarize!

XL100%20stage%201%20-%2041.JPG

left%20rearset.JPG

bike%20on%20table%202.jpg

So this evening I made a start of freshening up the engine by polishing up one of the case panels. It took all evening and I havent actually polished it yet, only stripped the paint and then sanded it down with 280, 400wd, 1200wd, 1500wd, 2000wd, and 2500wd grit paper, the finish looks pretty good so far. Tomorrow i will get the polishing kit out and finish it up.

imag1027x.jpg

imag1028a.jpg

and this is it after i had a go on the buffing wheel.

imag1034t.jpg

imag1033z.jpg

Looking good! i might have to do the same thing on mine when i get some time to do it, although the problem that i thought i might have is the rear triangle is infact smaller than the swingarm in terms of width so i thought that id quite possibly run into issues with the rearsets clearing the swingarm! Only time will tell!

Im currently in the build of another cg too, this time a scrambler type tracker! ;D

Your not going to be leaving the wheels in that gold are you?

Tom.

Looks kewl...........................

I wish I could do this with my CB100, beings my engine seems to be shot.

how fast is this thing gonna go.

i kinda want to do this but im not sure how far to bend the frame @_@

The Wheels are going to be rebuilt, the numpty before me sprayed they with gold hammerite which is horrible stuff to get off,so i am going to get a new aluminum rim for the front and rear, then i am going to run the rear tyre on the front as it is pretty much brand new and get a wider tyre for the back.

In regards to how quick it is going to be, i have no idea, i guess slightly faster than a cafed cb200 as it is a lighter bike to begin with. Is it ton capable? I shouldnt think so for a second, not without alot of fettling at least. On that note I have been thinking about a little smog pump super charger running off the starter motor gear... lets get her running first.

Hi. I'm new to this web site,very nice cg project. I'm doing a cg cafe project myself, but not as in depth as yours :) You say your in the uk? where abouts? i'm in Norwich.

David, im based in Hertfordshire, good luck with the build!

Today I managed to solve the sprocket issue that had been stumping me for a while. It turns out that the splines on the CG sprocket are smaller than the splines on a CB200 engine. The problem being that the CG125 uses a 428 size chain and and the CB200 is a 520so the two sprockets won't work together.

After a bit of research it turns out the CB175 sprocket will fit on a CB200 engine and it takes a 428 chain. Winner!

imag1071y.jpg

CB200 on the Left - CB175 17 tooth sprocket on the right

So today these my CM185 exhaust brackets turned up!
imag1085s.jpg

I test fitted them and they are going to work great, they even have enough of a curve on them to clear the swing arm. After a test fit this is what i have.
imag1087k.jpg

imag1089.jpg

imag1091u.jpg

I just need to fixed the top of them down, i have considered welding in some captive nuts onto the frame, but i would like to be able to create a bolt on kit so i am investigating using some handlebar mirror mounts.

ie34_2.jpg

Ive ordered a pair and they are designed for 7/8" handle bar, which luckly is the same diameter as the frame! I will report back once ive tried fitting them.

cinch said:
So today these my CM185 exhaust brackets turned up!
imag1085s.jpg

I test fitted them and they are going to work great, they even have enough of a curve on them to clear the swing arm. After a test fit this is what i have.
imag1087k.jpg

imag1089.jpg

imag1091u.jpg

I just need to fixed the top of them down, i have considered welding in some captive nuts onto the frame, but i would like to be able to create a bolt on kit so i am investigating using some handlebar mirror mounts.

ie34_2.jpg

Ive ordered a pair and they are designed for 7/8" handle bar, which luckly is the same diameter as the frame! I will report back once ive tried fitting them.

Excellent idea; hope it works!

Use Bmx handle bar stems, worked for me as an exhaust clamp.
P1040397.jpg

So today the handle bar mirror mounts turned up a fitted perfectly. They seem robust enough at the moment, but are made from monkey metal so time riding the bike will tell, if need be i will look for something strong but these will get me going, fitted the passenger foot peg to the bracket and it fits me great. I also polished up the other side of the CB200 engines crank case. I never want to polish anything that awkward again ever.. Pics below.

20130128173053.jpg

20130128173922.jpg

20130128173900.jpg

20130127162242.jpg

Next on the list of things to make are the rear sets, watch this space.

That's looking pretty good now i'm looking to get some sheet metal probably about 10mm thick and making up some rear sets from that once i've got a template made up for them! pretty similar to erskines maybe just a little prettier ;) Then il just need some levers and what not!

Cases look real good but i'll tell you now it will take some effort maintainingthem in that condition when riding it thats why I took the easy option and just painted both my engines it seemed like the best way to tackle both problems! ;D

Really looking forward to seeing more of this build its coming together all pretty well at the moment!

Most rear sets seem to be made from 6 - 6.5mm aluminium plate, so thats what Im going with to start with, I'll see how i get on.

I know the ins and outs of looking after polished aluminium as ive had several cars with polished cam covers. Its not fun but its the price you pay!

So its been 5 months! far too long for an update, but life seems to get in the way far to easily. Having now moved house I have my make shift workshop back in action so the updates should become more frequent!

The engine is still mid rebuild, there are a couple of tools that I need to get to be able to split the case and breakdown the gearset properly, but it is moving forward slowly but surely!

mt65.jpg

I also bought the front wheel from an RS125.. this will not be staying as it is horrendously ugly, but it has enabled me to make sure that there is not interference between the front wheel and the frame where i had to bend it out. The brilliant news is that there are no issue what so ever, that would have killed this project off fairly quickly!

xz7i.jpg

I am also looking at extending the rear swing arm out by about 75mm and fitting some longer struts to lift the rear of the bike up slight and give it more of a stance.

c9qc.jpg

tnot.jpg

I am trying to get hold of a swing arm from one of the new Chilean CGL125s as they have a box section rear swing arm that will be far easier to extend than the standard CG125 arm that I currently have. To be honest it almost looks longer as a standard part. I will keep you posted.

ajp2.jpg

http://www.honda.cl/motos/calle-modelo-cgl-125.html#1_info.php?id_moto=2

Also made some progress with the rear sets. More to follow!

7cf.jpg

cinch, did you get those mirror mounts from ebay?

So I definitely feel like i am resurrecting this thread from the dead but there has been a lot of progress so I thought I would keep going!

I was gifted a CB 200 in a very bad way from a local guy to me, so i decided to use it as the basis of the the build moving forward, I would have started a new build thread, but all off the parts bar the tank are being used so I have decided to continue with this build diary!

IMAG1526.jpg

IMAG1527.jpg

IMAG1530.jpg

But it had potential.

IMAG1556.jpg

and so it continues!...

Back
Top Bottom