Full-Face Vintage, anyone?

DrJ said:
I say that's a snowmobile helmet. The starting bid is ridiculous, it's not that rare or even a good helmet.

The sellers name is "bellytank" and they're from Southern California.

Typical hot rod culture overvalued crap someone found at a swapmeet for $20 and figures "a guy in Japan" will spend a fortune on. Sad thing is... Some "guy in Japan" just might. :p

Sometimes I gotta drop my kid off at school, so I'm thinking this helmet would be sweet as a full face and I could throw the kid in the back. Seems pretty breathable as well.

251836209master_blaster_orig.jpg

I found this link the other day

http://omega-racer.blogspot.co.nz/p/elders-helmet.html

I picked this NOS bell helmet on ebay....even matches my CB. Came sealed in OG box with all the paperwork....it's not vintage to some.......almost not to me, but still from the 80's.
;)

Was bored of my newer matte black helmet, so I hand painted it in Ornimental Conifer-esque fashion. making it look somewhat old(er).

Attachments

• rooney helmet.jpg
    rooney helmet.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 2,730
  • rooney helmet 2.jpg
    rooney helmet 2.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 2,511
  • handpainted helmet.jpg
    handpainted helmet.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 2,549
Vintage looking. Cheaper than a lot of vintage looking helmets I've found. Says it's an "auto racing helmet"- whatever that means...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Simpson-Voyager-Fr-White-Medium-SA2010-Rated-4100021-/190607427484?pt=Race_Car_Parts&hash=item2c6116879c&vxp=mtr

4704396_orig.jpg

[/quote]

This guy says he tried one and it didn't have the sound or wind sealing that a motorcycle helmet has.

http://www.triumphrat.net/helmets/185867-ride-with-existing-simpson-voyager-helmet-or-buy-new-one.html

Makes sense; it's probably not designed to be worn in a motorcycle riding position, either. (face port shaping, aerodynamics, weight balance, whatever) Not saying it won't work, but maybe there are some subtle differences that could be apparent in the long run.

If you try it, let us know how it goes...would love to hear feedback.

The Simpson Voyager is kinda dull, just looks like an outdated early 80s helmet. There's a distributor selling these in Toronto.

600715_528324230545098_293001168_n.jpg

http://www.resurrecxioncycles.net/helmets/vintage-full-face-helmets/

the biltwell gringo is set to release may for the larger sizes, june for the smaller ones.

Id rather wear no helmet then a 30 year old full face, even a deadstock never been worn one is totally useless as protective equipment.

Id rather wear no helmet then a 30 year old full face, even a deadstock never been worn one is totally useless as protective equipment.

Not really: There are risks with older helmets but they are not the same as wearing a bandana on your head. A NOS vintage helmet will offer the same amount of protection or close to it that it did when new. The major concern is the shell. Poly (plastic) shells are effected more by UV or exposure to heat than time. Fiberglass shells do change with time as well as exposure to UV and heat. The shell's primary job is to absorb impact by either delaminating or spreading out the force of the impact. Its secondary job is to keep the EPS intact.

The EPS (styrofoam) liner is what cushions your head upon impact. The EPS is not effected by time. It absorbs little to no moisture over time. It is not effected by cold/heat. EPS is used in the construction industry for its ability to withstand low-high temperatures, its resistance to moisture absorbsion, and its longevity. EPS has been tested extensively. Simply put there is no expiration date on EPS and its ability to absorb impact. EPS breaks down when exposed to solvents or when crushed. Sweat and oils from hair/skin, UV, ozone, and time do not break down EPS.

What does this mean for a vintage helmet? Well, if its NOS then it should offer simillar protection to when the helmet was produced. I don't think anyone accepts that NOS vintage helmets are equal to modern helmets but they aren't like wearing a baseball cap either. Modern helmets offer better protection because they use thicker EPS layers.

DO NOT TAKE MY WORD FOR ANY OF THIS! DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH AND DECIDE FOR YOURSELF IF A VINTAGE HELMET IS WHAT YOU WANT. I AM NO EXPERT ON ANY OF THIS STUFF.

Scott

So what you are saying is my early 60's Arai (which is Snell approved) is just more useful than a baseball cap with it's fiberglass shell and 1/4" of cardboard and foam.

Just an FYI...there is a vendor on ebay that's selling a ton of NOS "vintage" Full-Face Bell Helmets currently. Most are from late 70's or 80's and not old enough to be truly cool and he says the liners are in different stages of decay, but the price is around $35 for most of them so the price is right. Some of them have that cool James Bond/Speed Racer vibe.

http://stores.ebay.com/Superior-Cycle/Helmets-/_i.html?_fsub=1387452012&_sid=839877822&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Helmets are like tires. If anyone can actually see the details of your helmet, you're not riding fast enough. Go buy a new SNELL lid and protect your brain.

xcaptainxbloodx said:

I guess your a 'hard nut' ;D
Even a bicycle helmet is better than nothing, a 30+ yr old fiberglass helmet would definitely be better than nothing but a 30 yr old polycarb one could possibly shatter and cause worse injuries?
Poly carb helmets have been painted since the late 70's, special paints were developed to help the UV problem
I've seen my brother sliding down the road at 90+, he wouldn't be here if he wasn't wearing a decent helmet
As for vintage Bell full face, I found them really noisy, drafty and uncomfortable, the Griffin I got instead was the only one made at the time that had been wind tunnel tested
The 'new' European standard is far superior to Snell, it takes rotational forces into account whereas Snell has two hits on the same spot so shell is MUCH stiffer/harder shell (unless something has changed in last 2~3yrs?)

Back
Top Bottom