1981 Kawasaki GPz550 Cafe Build

No, sorry. The bike has been rotting in storage. For the last year I've been a little obsessed with the dual sport thing. I intend to revive this build at some point this winter, and at least get it ridable again by spring. I'll post more when there are updates. Good luck on your GPZ build.

Is the Cafe project for sale? I sold mine to a guy in PA

STLGPZ said:
Is the Cafe project for sale? I sold mine to a guy in PA

Well, in the "everything is for sale for the right price" sense. I'd part with it for a good offer. But it is rough, so it might be worth more to me than to someone else. And I'm no where near PA. The bike is presently in Seattle.

I am in St Louis, MO and I have California transport connections, no worries there. Throw a price my way and we can make the "go/no go" call.

SO.. I acquired THIS bike about a month ago from a guy in ID. I paid $1000. Came with most of the stock fairs and lights in a box with an extra set of tires. The guy I got it from did a great and much needed revision to the seat and tail.

Since I got it:
I deleted : Tachometer, mirrors and marker lights. Also all the passenger set ups.
I finned off the rear frame to the tail.
Added Gaiters.
Centered and low mounted speedo into the headset area.
Shaved clutch/brake leavers.
Cut off mufflers and dumped exhaust right behind pegs.
Replaces headlight with a slightly larger one with LED blinkers built in it.
Replaced the tail light with a LED strip light that has running, brake and turns built in it.
I relocated the ignition switch under the tank. I used the same one so I didn't have to get new keys.

THE PLAN:
Delete service stand.
Change shocks out to piggy back style.
Shave front fender. (tonight)
Cut/weld in knee knocks. (Next weekend)
Obviously repaint and paint wheels black.

Photos soon..

PICS MAN PICS!

also wassup fellow GPZ550 owner!

check out my thread too. I've got a monoshock, but I'm building it as a vintager weekend ripper around town. gonna gear mine down for more acceleration in the city.

Work so far

Attachments

• IMG_3495.JPG
    IMG_3495.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 260
  • IMG_3477.JPG
    IMG_3477.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 263
  • IMG_3476.JPG
    IMG_3476.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 258
  • IMG_3475.JPG
    IMG_3475.JPG
    828.9 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_3471.JPG
    IMG_3471.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 255
  • IMG_3438.JPG
    IMG_3438.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 264
  • IMG_3365.JPG
    IMG_3365.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 257
  • IMG_3357.JPG
    IMG_3357.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 260
  • IMG_3283.JPG
    IMG_3283.JPG
    964.5 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_3279.JPG
    IMG_3279.JPG
    794.5 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_3068.JPG
    IMG_3068.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 261
  • IMG_3121.JPG
    IMG_3121.JPG
    899.5 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_3170.JPG
    IMG_3170.JPG
    1,005.1 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_3142.JPG
    IMG_3142.JPG
    685.1 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_3206.JPG
    IMG_3206.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 260
  • IMG_3246.JPG
    IMG_3246.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 252
  • IMG_3265.PNG
    IMG_3265.PNG
    3.6 MB · Views: 266
Very cool on the knee dents, haven't seen it done that way before. Clever.

I lowered the front fender to hug the tire a little more. Dropped it down 5/8"

Attachments

• IMG_3532.JPG
    IMG_3532.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 266
  • IMG_3531.JPG
    IMG_3531.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 255
Sam_I_Am said:
Thanks guys. Lots of work re-sealing up this tank. What are some tricks you've come across?
brazing or silver solder

doc_rot said:
brazing or silver solder

Thanks - I welded it all up, ground smooth and will fill with water. Drill out the leaks and reweld and smooth. Just picked up some bindi. Ready to get riding.

Just my .02 but I would pressure test the gas tank before you paint it. Gas flows through much smaller holes than water will and filling the tank with water won't tell you if there are no leaks. The way I do it is get an expandable rubber stopper, take it apart so you just have the rubber, and put it in the gas hole with a bicycle pump in the center hole of the plug. Plug the petcock holes and Have somebody pump the bike pump while you submerge the whole tank in a bathtub to see if any bubbles come out. You don't need more than a couple pounds of pressure or you will deform the tank. Not trying to nitpick, but having painted a tank and had to go back to repair leaks I know what a pain in the ass it can be. Nice work so far 8)

Plugging the petcock is better than the percocet hole for sure ;D I see you corrected the autocorrect there doc. +1 to what Doc said. Finding a leak after paint is a real bitch so I'd do what he suggests to be 100% sure there are no leaks.

doc_rot said:
Just my .02 but I would pressure test the gas tank before you paint it. Nice work so far 8)

Thanks! Good idea. Talked to a few now and they all said similar.

Looking for paint schemes... Color in and repost your ideas!

Attachments

• Tank-View.jpg
    Tank-View.jpg
    507.1 KB · Views: 243
  • Rear-View.jpg
    Rear-View.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 237
  • Bike.jpg
    Bike.jpg
    419.4 KB · Views: 242
Damn I love that tank. I'm not much of a cowl guy but man I love that cowl too. I'm the wrong guy to offer any kind of opinion on colour - I leave my tanks brushed metal and clear coat! But how about a deep dark slightly metallic orange with some blood red stripes? Or that orange on the tank with red knee dents and a two tone cowl?

Damn, maybe I'll paint my next tank after all...

Back
Top Bottom