78 KZ650B - The Parts Bike Project

sbruton

Where the fvck is that money you owe me?!?
Hi all,

I've been absent for a while feeding some of other 2 wheeled addictions - DH mountain biking and Dirt Bikes. As a result, my road bike projects took a break. Some time ago I picked up another 78 KZ650B for $250 with the intention of using it as a parts bike for my previous 650B. I decided to sell my cafe bike so I could pick up a big dualsport bike and as a result my new plan for my "parts bike" is to tear it down, build it back up and put it on the road.

The bike was in decent shape and mostly complete. It didn't run at the time but with a fresh battery, and some gas it fired up with very little effort. It looks as though it's been stored in doors most of it's life, but is pretty oily and messy. The other issue is that the starter clutch appears to be buggered as well the kicker won't return. My current plan is to tear it down to the frame, open up the engine to attempt to fix the issues and then do some customizing when I put it back together.

Pic of it when I brought it home.

RockyViewNo44-20120204-00089.jpg

Stripped down to the frame and engine out:

Calgary-20121104-00065.jpg

Calgary-20121104-00064.jpg

Oil Pan off:

Calgary-20121114-00070.jpg

Starter Clutch and shaft out:

Calgary-20121118-00079.jpg

Calgary-20121118-00078.jpg

Thats all for now.... more to come!

I bought a bunch of parts a while ago to get started:

Stainless Bolt Kit

IMG-20130207-00107_zpsc724f422.jpg

Carb re-build kits

IMG-20130207-00109_zpsc55c4e73.jpg

Tapered Head Tube Bearings

IMG-20130207-00110_zps5718f531.jpg

Fancy pants billet switch perch

IMG-20130220-00122_zps0f04657a.jpg

Rear end of the frame has been cut and a hoop welded on:

And some major carb cleaning:

Thanks wership. The loop is from fellow DTT'er cafegoose who is selling them in the buy-n-sell section and the welding handywork is compliments of my buddy that is quite handy with the TIG welder.

I'll get another update posted tomorrow to bring the thread up to date. The amount of work I've done isn't a lot but it has taken me forever due to other priorities. I'm hoping to get more work done over the winter!

The engine has been largely re-assembled with the exception of replacing the valve cover gasket, which I will take care of before I put it back in the frame. My grand plan is to have kick start only, so I have pulled the starter motor and I decided to leave the starter clutch out as well. I realize this is a bit risky in terms of resale (if I decide to sell it some day...) but I guess that goes with any "custom" type bike since it's a personal perference. My brother was kind enough to machine me a plug for the starter motor hole and at the same time machined my top triple clamp to remove the bar mounts. I will be installing clip-ons and wanted a more finished look and didn't want to pay the price for a custom top triple. (pics below).

At this point I have the forks off and apart waiting to be lowered and fresh seals installed and will be working on a building a brat style flat seat. I bought a nice brown leather jacket from a consignment shop for $15 that I think will make a great cover - only time will tell! Once the forks are re-assembled I will mock up the rear end to determine shock length and then focus on getting a rolling chassis in the coming weeks.

Here is the top triple before machining:

Calgary-20130102-00019.jpg

Top triple clamp after machining:

The starter motor hole plug (still needs 2 o-rings):

IMG-20130414-00012_zps498be2e1.jpg

And my new seat cover!!

Calgary-20131122-00286_zpse29145fb.jpg

I was able to get a little bit of work done that last couple of evenings.

First off, I overhauled the forks, shortened them 2" and installed new seals. Once I figure out the final build I'll clean up the forks, and install new boots. I bought a part of clip-ons from DTT'er Carnivourous Chicken, which look like they will work great!

Shortened Forks

Clip-Ons

I pieced the bike together last night to get an idea of the stance. I'm considering lowering the rear end a bit, but after seeing it I think I'll leave it until I get further along in the project. Please ignore the mess of the frame and the poor tires! That's all still work in progress:

What do you think?

This weekend (time permitting) I'm hoping to get my seat built and have the rear fender mocked up!

Constructive feedback and comments are always welcome.

Thanks.

What's your inspiration for the build? Have you got a vision of how you want it to look?

Big fan of the 650's and I think the rear height is not too bad, especially if you want to run with a fender.

ManxieRacer said:
What's your inspiration for the build?

Hey man,

Good point...I guess my question is a little subjective if you don't really know where I'm heading with this! Here are a couple bikes that I really like and have been the primary inspiration for the direction I'm heading. I'm still wondering how they get the rear end SOOO LOW - they rear tire must rub the fender unless they are running super stiff springs. I will be running a short rear fender.

I got my Martha Stewart on this weekend and did a little sewing. This was my first attempt at making a seat cover. I buggered up a couple of small things but should work for now. I should have got the sewing machine all greasy or something to make it a little more manly, but at least I had a beer while I was working away!!

I bought this beautiful donor brown leather jacket from Value Village for $15!

Cut out some quilting lining/ foam out of another old jacket and marked it out:

Stitching it on to the cover:

Stitching on the sides of the seat cover that will wrap under the seat pan:

The final product (seat cover only). I'm hoping to put it on the seat pan in the next couple of days:

Looking good. How did your sewing machine handle the leather? I am always afraid the sewing machine is going to die in the middle of it.

It held up surprising well; even through the multiple layers. I stalled it out a couple of times but that was from my own stupidity rather than the machine not doing what it was supposed to!

ive gone back and forth about sewing my own cover... currently im not going to but thats liable to change any day... cant wait to see it on from a profile perspective...
my question is: why did you decide to stitch the white on the "perimeter" of the top seat section? does the stitching provide more strength?

I often wondered if a regular household sewing machine could handle leather. Did you need a different needle? Regular thread? I should dig out Mom's old sewer.

wership said:
my question is: why did you decide to stitch the white on the "perimeter" of the top seat section? does the stitching provide more strength?

Hey Wership! The stitching around the perimeter was to hold the thin pad in place on the underside of the cover. I was hoping the pad would "puff" up the stripes a bit more than it did. All the stitching on the top of the cover is mostly aesthetics. It will probably add a little wear resistance, but I'm guessing it won't be significant. I'm hoping to get the pan and padding installed this week and will post up some pics once it's complete. I'm keen to see the side profile as well.

HerrDeacon said:
I often wondered if a regular household sewing machine could handle leather. Did you need a different needle? Regular thread? I should dig out Mom's old sewer.

I used a standard sewing machine with standard needles and thread. I'm sure there is better thread to use that will be much more durable, but it's all I had at the time. The old leather coat I used for the donor was quite soft and the machine had no issue sewing through it. I'm sure if you used a heavier type it might be an issue.

the lady at the fabric store told me i should use a triangular needle and upholstery thread (or at least heavy duty) to do their marine vinyl... im sure a jacket is a lot thinner so easier to work with...

I mocked up the seat last night with some foam. I have only taped the leather to the bottom and will pull it a little tighter when I finish it off. I'll be using some carriage bolts through the pan and some handle bar clamps to hold the seat to the cross brace on the frame. It's all just sitting loose in the pics but will give you an idea of what it looks like. I like the thicker version... how about you?

With 3 layers of foam

2 layers of foam with the fender "placed" in to see what it looks like

Here is a quick update from the weekend. I finished off the seat ( 4 layers of foam), completed the clamps and, welded on a bracket for the rear fender and fastened/ trimmed the fender. I've also marked on the front fender with black marker where I'm tentatively planning to cut it, so any thoughts on that would be welcome.

Sorry for the poor picture quality...

It's been a while since I've posted an update. Not too much to report, but made a little progress. I'm still waiting on some electrical bits, tail light and signals to arrive so I can start building the wiring harness. I rec'd my last switch and headlight and mounted them today.

Back
Top Bottom