1975 CB360 Freeze-dried Hell Ride

irk miller

You've been mostly-dead all day.
DTT BOTM WINNER
Greetings folks,

So begins my re-edit of a '75 CB 360 I bought in New Jersey in 2010. I just replanted to Georgia from Philly last June in a search for more space, cheaper living and time to take on projects like this. The first pic is how the bike sat in mostly original glory behind my Philly row home. The second pic is the bike after I did a mild custom during my first winter with it. I was reluctant to do much cutting and left it mostly restorable. Now is a different time- the third incarnation of this bike.

Attachments

• Honda_stock.jpg
    Honda_stock.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 3,103
  • honda_cb.jpg
    honda_cb.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 2,992
Re: 1975 CB360 Cafe Edit Volume 2

I pulled the engine. Things are starting to get cut off finally. The seat lock was a bitch to get off the frame. Originally, I relocated the battery and slid the fender back, removed the plastic fender piece, and welded a battery holder to the fender. I've decided to relocate the electronics and the battery under the seat. I had some issues with the seat I made, so I'm adding more foam, and re-glassing it. I'm using a material called aqua-resin. It's a non-toxic resin that I lay over nylon hair instead of actual glass. No itch, and it actually seems to have a little more flex. I started using it in my sculptures and it's become a great material for making masters to cast.

Attachments

• honda_01.jpg
    honda_01.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 2,960
  • honda_02.jpg
    honda_02.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 2,955

I got the plate welded into the frame to hold the battery and electronics. Dug out the compartment for the battery. Formed the seat to fit around the frame. My hope is that I'll find some button-size led's for turn signals to fit into the round openings at the end of the frame. The opening for the tail light needs to be shrunk to accommodate the height I added to the seat. I'm also taking in little off the ass. I leave the foam in the seat. It seams to give it more strength and you never know when you may need a flotation device. If it's good for the boats, it's good for me.

Attachments

• honda_06.jpg
    honda_06.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 2,949
  • honda_05.jpg
    honda_05.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 2,883
  • honda_04.jpg
    honda_04.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 2,960
  • Honda_03.jpg
    Honda_03.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 2,945

Stole a little bit of time today to glass the seat. It still needs refinement, but the shape is almost there. I mocked up the rear tail light to see how it fits. I think it may need to move out more. The base plate is looking too long beyond the seat. I need to cut that back.

Attachments

• honda_07.jpg
    honda_07.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 2,855

I like the idea of the strips a lot. Do you have a pic of how that might finished?
deviant said:
Close ups of the cherry laminate. If I go with it, I'm considering two options. One is to do the parquet pattern, the other is to cut into strips and flip the grain. Depending on how it's applied, you can form it around most shapes within a reasonable arch. The combination paint and laminate on the seat can look really good or cheesy as fuck. But, I still think it's worth a look.

I love that natural look of the strips! I think that would look killer.

I wanted something light and less obtrusive than the stock CB fender, so I cut up and reformed a VT500 front fender to mount in its place.

Attachments

• honda_10.jpg
    honda_10.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 2,976
  • honda_09.jpg
    honda_09.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 2,991
  • honda_08.jpg
    honda_08.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 3,065

Straight up dust mode. Take some more off that seat.

Attachments

• honda_12.jpg
    honda_12.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 2,982

More cut away from the seat. I think the profile is finally getting to where it needs to be. Most of the lines are reflected either in the tank or the seat. I'm definitely looking for something atypical, but still within the range of a cafe.

Attachments

• honda_13.jpg
    honda_13.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 2,815

Thanks to winter storm Leon, school was cancelled today and tomorrow. If Leon knows what's best, he'll hang around long enough to cancel school on Thursday too. No school + wife off work = beer + motorcycle. Now that the reforming of the seat is complete, I've started glassing. If I haven't said it before, Aqua Resin is the jam. It's non-toxic, no itch and you can clean up with water. It's an opaque, polymer based resin that utilizes a gypsum-based powder. It's got more flex and more break strength than normal fiberglass. I sound like an ad, but I'm telling you this stuff is awesome. http://www.aquaresin.com/products.html

For the top of the seat, I used 1" strand fiberglass and a 4 1/2" strand underneath. The tools I use are plastic spatulas, a chip brush, a flexible tupperware bowl, Yuengling and a couple of Sureform rasps. A flexible bowl allows you to let unused resin set and break out easily by hitting the outside of the bowl with a mallet. Flexible spatulas also clean in the same way. Regardless, if you clean everything before the resin sets, you just have to rinse in water.

Attachments

• honda_13_01.jpg
    honda_13_01.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 2,924

The first pic is the initial glass layer. The solution is 1 part L (liquid resin) and 2 parts S3 (powder). The second pic is with another painted on coating over the first layer. I carve down all of the high points with a Sureform. If you carve after the resin hardens but is still moist, it carves more easily. When this stuff has completely hardened, it can still be carved, but it takes a lot longer. At that point coarse sandpaper almost works better.

Attachments

• honda_16.jpg
    honda_16.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 2,978
  • honda_15.jpg
    honda_15.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 3,029
  • honda_14.jpg
    honda_14.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 2,967

Prime and sand… Prime and sand… Prime and sand...

Attachments

• honda_17.jpg
    honda_17.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 2,748
  • honda_18.jpg
    honda_18.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 2,849

That seat is looking very nice man!

Is the tank sitting level?

Green199 said:
That seat is looking very nice man!

Is the tank sitting level?

Thanks, dude. The tank's in the stock position. I hope it is. I wonder if the seat position effects the perspective. It's something I had considered adjusting.

May just be in the pictures, looks like the rear needs to be lifted, or the front dropped a little.....other than that shes looking great! :)

Started working on the front fender. I cut up the stock fender and start reforming it to get the squareness out of it. I'm not too keen on how far it comes off the tire. I've considered grinding the rivets and putting the fender to the inside of the bracket, but I'm skeptical on how that will look. I may just cut an inch out of the bracket instead. The fender definitely needs to match the profile of the wheel and tire a little better.

Attachments

• honda_19.jpg
    honda_19.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 1,334
  • honda_20.jpg
    honda_20.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,328
Back
Top Bottom