1959 Lone Star El Dorado "Project Texas Tornado" (Another Boat)

I got a little more work done today: more spar and some polishing of aluminum trim. I am going to take my seats to get an estimate on getting them redone with new padding and vinyl. I have some options for color and material. For the center sections the OE was this really cool textured black vinyl. I want to replace it with something similar and found a good candidate on ebay but the seller also had it in a silver. I like the black for the looks of original but I have a feeling it will be extremely hot in the sun. Also I need to decide (not immediately) on if I want to do piping again. Again its a decision- do I want to keep it original and kind of cool looking or do I want to do without for more comfort, less seams, and less of a chance of it cracking in a few years (happened on my moms boat after 2 years). I think I am going to re-use the old boards because they are OE and still are stamped with “ELDORADO” and seem to be in decent shape. Let me know what you guys think!

I have some samples of vinyl coming in so i can work on making that decision. I am going to keep the OE seat bases for the stamping to stay with the boat. I still need to decide on if I want piping, I am leaning towards yes though. Today I decided to start a little work on the engine itself. Like I said earlier, it starts but surges badly. So today I pulled off the carbs, starter and battery cables (to clean around), and fuel lines. I got the carbs pulled apart today and one of the floats didn't look properly set for height, and there seemed to be a little water in the bowls as well. I am going to take them into work and put them through an ultrasonic cleaner and thoroughly clean them. I got the carb kits to replace all the seals, needles, welch plugs, and the floats. After I pulled the carbs, there was finally a chance to use my new borescope and I inspected the reed valves and they all look to be in top shape :D

I finished the rebuild on the carbs today, each spent a half hour in a hot ultrasonic degreaser bath then all the small parts and orifices were blown out afterwards with carb cleaner. New parts were installed all the way down to welch plugs, o-rings, and floats. I adjusted the float heights so the float sits level all the way around.

I also made a run to lowes then home depot to get more plywood and made the final piece to the floor and laminated two pieces to an inch thick so I can remake the dashboard.

Shiny, rebuilt carbs!

Old dashboard

Excellent work mate ;D I love checking in just to see your progress 8)

I'M BACK!! Not much work has been done, I need to wait on more funds and warmer weather for the next big steps (engine test, all paint, transom install, new windshield, etc...) But a few weeks ago I got all the boards I was working on done, sealed, finished. I got a new dash cut up out of 1" ply (2- 1/2" pieces laminated) I need to decide if i want to upholster it, or just leave it finished with spar. I started a new job last so I hope that at least the funds will start to come back ;D. I also have a jet ski that will be going up for sale in April so that should take care of the rest. Anyways here are some pictures of the finished boards!

Transom:

Dash:

Flooring:

Took a look at my windshield today during the ongoing blizzard here in Detroit. I pulled it out and pieced it all back together with tape the best I could. I am strongly considering building a plywood mold to form a new one myself. I still need to do a little more research on the process, but I think it can be done. the radius on the top corners is very tight (about a 3-4" radius) and much larger on the bottom and no frame other than the boat to go off of. The biggest problem I see is the piece of Plexiglas I will need can not be a standard 8" sheet, the running length around the bottom is 8'6" (running height is 1' 11+3/4"). One thought that popped into mind is making the new one in 2 pieces, just split it straight down the center. There is a strip in the center with 6 holes in it used as a hold down/anchor point for the windshield and it would hide the split and anchor both pieces quite nicely. One of the pictures below shows where I would make the windshield in two separate pieces by the red line, the yellow dots are the location of the bolts that sandwich it between a pillar and an external plate. Let me know your guys input on how I should proceed with this or any ideas/tips that would make this go smother. I am also going to call UPD plastics on Monday for an estimate on having one made by them.

Here is the picture with the illustrations of the area I might try to make a new 2 piece windshield. As well as some pictures of the boat where everything attaches. There is also a piece that goes on the roof of the boat and sandwiches in the windshield.

Hello! I am back from my late winter hibernation! I have had a lot of setbacks in the last few months that have kept me from working on the boat, the most damaging one was I lost my work shop/storage for the boat :'( Over the last few months it was hard to get the motivation to work on the boat...BUT the good news is I have since located a new storage place for my boat and it has a TON of tools I could only dream about! Today I am going to drop the seats off at the upholsterer and hopefully get some progress made on those! I also have a meeting with a commercial/architectural class and plastic guy to get some input on a new windshield. I am sure I am forgetting a few updates on the project but when I remember ill fill in more! In the mean time I will leave you with a picture of the El Dorado in her new home ;D Don't think I gave up or forgot about you guys!

Well I dropped the seats off to get re-upholstered and the estimate I got back gave me serious sticker shock for new fabric and foam... While debating with myself on what to do about the upholstery situation with the seats, I decided to run up to the outboard shop and get some fuel lines and a fitting. I got home, put the motor back together, cleaned the engine compartment, and got it fired up... and that thing run like a champ! ;D The carb rebuilt and ultrasonic bath worked wonders!

I bought some fiberglass repair supplies over the weekend to start repairing my beat to $#!^ engine cover. I was going to do it yesterday on my day off but I lost my motivation after getting back home and doing an oil change. So hopefully this weekend I can get the fiberglass work done! I did however decide to pull the lower unit on my Evinrude just to check it out, because it has clearly been replaced and the PO said they had a lot of work done to it but didn't give me any specifics. When I pulled the water pump housing it looked pretty good on the metal and the impeller was seemingly in good shape, definitely was replaced in the last few years. but then I looked closer and saw some very small cracks in the rubber. I ran up to West marine and they had a replacement in stock for me so I swapped it out and now the engine has a newly serviced water pump :D

A little update- I started to strip and prep the engine cover- I still have more grinding to do but I need to get the nasty decal residue off- That stuff is NASTY! I have tried acetone, goof off, 3M decal and adhesive remover (did not do a thing- will return the $14 solar can) So I finally sprayed some paint stripper on it and that has started to work, I need to go and get some more to finish it up. I also finally got around to welding up my cracked spalshwell...that stuff was a bit of a chore to weld. For those that know about TIG welding- the balance was set pretty to do some serious cleaning (after I wire brushed it and stripped the paint) but thr welds turned out not too bad and It was still easier than making a new one.

Nice job on the welding, have you thought about adding some extra gussets on the corners to help strengthen and support? What plan do you have for the rude cowl, factory colours and decals ?

andycafe said:
Nice job on the welding, have you thought about adding some extra gussets on the corners to help strengthen and support? What plan do you have for the rude cowl, factory colours and decals ?

No need to add any extra support...I just wont let the splash well fill drains get plugged with crap and have it up with standing water like the PO did ;D

I am not sure what color I am going to do the engine but it will probably either be white, blue, or silver with some factory replica decals (whatever year I think looks best) But that is after I do some glass work on it.

Re: 1959 Lone Star El Dorado "Project Texas Tornado" (Another Boat)

Awesome looking boat. Loving that paint scheme on the hull and roof. I'm along for the ride

Well I was PLANNING on getting some serious work done on the engine and get it prepped for paint over the last weekend... but then I got a phone call... It was one of my professors saying there was an estate sale right around the corner from me and to get over there. In short on the second (final day) I ended up buying all that I could manage to store. My favorite purchase is a tool I have wanted for a long time- a 12X36 Craftsman/Atlas metal lathe, cabinet, and a lot of tooling! I got a great deal on the thing. I also picked up a very early Delta 24" scroll saw and stand as well as an Oxy-Acetylene torch kit with LOTS of welding/brazing rods. All in all it was a pretty good haul! After moving the lathe into my basement and giving it a very through cleaning I was able to find time to finish the Fiberglass repairs on my engine cover. Turned out good IMO and once I paint it she will be looking classy. Now I need to sand everything on the motor and haul it to the shop where my boat is because there is a steam cleaner I can use to degrease it before paint.

I dig the lathe. I have an old Montgomery Wards/Logan from the late 40's. They don't make them like they used to.

Tomorrow I plan to run over to the Lone*Star and take care of any corrosion and seal the transom skin. Then the transom SHOULD be going in the following Monday provided I can borrow my brother to help buck some rivets. I am going to use some 50/50 vinegar and water to wash it off then hit it with some self etching primer.

I also want to get started on painting the outboard.... I still need to decide what color I want for the Evinrude, but I am leaning towards white. ***I will Listen to all suggestions for colors!!***

My next question is- does anyone have a link to a good write up on painting an outboard? I am mostly interested on what paints to use that will hold up, and the best way to prep them. I have googled the topic but it seems there is no solid answer. I am hoping to do something with a rattle can (good quality) but I can also use a spray gun on a compressor.

Back
Top Bottom