1975 CB360

Justinmillerish

Hi all, I'm starting this thread for the motorcycle I just drove 30 hours to buy last weekend. It's a 1975 CB360. The previous owner turned it into sort of a desert sled sort of situation. To start off, let me say what's going on with this bike.

The front wheel is from a 1972 Yamaha R5, the rear wheel is the stock cb360 wheel. It has knobby enduro tires which will definitely be getting switched out for some road tires. The headlights are from a tractor or something, I don't remember what he was saying about them. The carbs are also from that R5 and I actually need to get new jets and tune it since he made a custom exhaust for it after he had done that, it runs a little rich right now. Speaking of exhaust, this thing is loud. I'm considering making some baffles for it, even though he already has the mufflers lined with that fiberglass crap. The seat is home made and I'm definitely going to make another one. It has a simplified wiring harness and runs kick only with a capacitor and an on/off switch. That's probably all the important stuff, other than it was a salvage title, has been fixed, and all I have left to do is get it inspected and take the paperwork up to the dmv to get it on the road. It runs great and is actually pretty fun to ride.

Short term goals:
  • Put a left hand mirror on
  • Wire in a horn.
These two items are just so I can get it inspected and registered in my name with the rebuilt title.

After that I would like to wire in some led turn signals, convert the headlight to an led headlight, make the new seat, put my other, smaller honda tank on it (I'll be offloading the current tank after I get this tank reworked so that it fits), and put new tires on it.

The main block to progress right now is definitely the wiring. I get real nervous when I start to think about that stuff haha. I'm going to try to put down a diagram of whats going on with it right now once I get a break from work and school. My plan is to convert all lights to led to reduce the amount of juice required since the bike runs without a battery aaaaand apparently cb360's don't have the best charging system. I know I need to buy a reg/rec combo, get an led flasher relay, and get the led for the headlight but from there I lose it. I've been reading the electrical faq's in between classes so hopefully I can get that knowledge knocked into my head at some point.

And after that, I think I'm going to try and make a new front plate that the front turn signals and headlight can sit in so that it looks real nice. On to the pictures. In that last one we had just gotten home, I had only slept four or five hours in the past 48, and the sun was in my eyes. I don't look too excited but I am haha.

Apologies if this is long winded and kind of a bad post, I'm just pretty stoked on it. Thanks for reading

Attachments

• DSC_0196.JPG
    DSC_0196.JPG
    762.6 KB · Views: 321
  • DSC_0192.JPG
    DSC_0192.JPG
    727.9 KB · Views: 313
  • moto.jpg
    moto.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 1,261
Looks kinda fun. And yeah, those are some straight up Tractor Supply headlights.

Spleen138 said:
I actually dig it. Dirty and mean looking.

+1 I think its pretty sweet in its own way. I like the paint on the tank... not perfect which adds character.

http://stores.advmonster.com/h4-led-headlight/

Bought this to put into an extra headlight I had lying around.

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to wire up the horn. I have an extra horn from a kz400, one of these switch assemblies http://www.dimecitycycles.com/chrome-retro-horn-headlight-and-starter-control-switch.html and one wire going to the front of the motorcycle providing power to the headlights. The black wire on the switch goes to the horn button, so I'm guessing that I connect that to the negative connector of the horn and the red wire from the positive connector needs to somehow be linked to the wire that powers the headlights, but what about the ground? In this diagram it shows a ground coming from the switch but this switch totally does not have that option. I guess I'm asking where the hell does the ground come into this equation?

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=44556.0;attach=70638;image

P.S. the red wire (you can see the color towards the tank) is the one that goes toward the rear. I'm pretty sure it connects right into the capacitor. I'll check that when I get home from work.

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    560.4 KB · Views: 306
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    488.6 KB · Views: 307
I like to the overall vibe of this bike. I vote the tank either stays the same color or gets put on a shelf as art.

The case on that switch is the ground so it relies on the fact that the whole frame of the bike should be a common ground. As long as it has good electrical contact to the bars you should be fine. To check that set your multimeter to continuity mode and put one lead of your multimeter on the negative battery terminal and the other on the bars.

To wire up the horn cnnect the red wire to +12v and the black wire to one of leads for the contact buttons on your switch. The switch will complete the circuit by momentarily providing the ground loop.

Looks like those are aluminum dirt bike handlebars. The anodized coating on those bars may not be conductive. In that case you could run a gnd wire from the metal clamp on the switch housing to one of the bolts on the triple clamp.

Since the switch will be the gnd for your headlight as well you'll want good electrical contact.

LBC said:
Looks like those are aluminum dirt bike handlebars. The anodized coating on those bars may not be conductive. In that case you could run a gnd wire from the metal clamp on the switch housing to one of the bolts on the triple clamp.

Since the switch will be the gnd for your headlight as well you'll want good electrical contact.
sounds good, appreciate the help. I'm gonna hit up a radioshack when I get off and pick up some wire and stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey I appreciate it!

So I did a quick wiring set up just to see if the horn would work and it did. However, you can not hear it over the engine. So either the horn just plain sucks (probably the case since it is over 40 years old) or the motorcycle is too loud. I'm going with a little bit of column a and a little bit of column b.

My solution- buy a new horn. Any suggestions? I might just get one from dcc since they look pretty low key and easy to mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like it and I vote keep the tank as is. But yes, add front and rear fenders & mufflers. its a cool little machine.
The air filters look a little sketchy...is that unifilter foam stretched over...what?

11494-150215071019.png

1975 CB360

You know, I know he told me all about the filters when I picked it up but I can't remember what he said for the life of me. Next time I take the seat off I'll check them out.

Also, he had this in the shop he worked at. Said the guy who owned it was trying to sell it but it doesn't have a title. Looks pretty neat.
008fe8696a39326daa4d57938500931b.jpg
aa7f4b13e253b565bf58524118ce0f1a.jpg

Got my LED light in, super easy to replace the h4 bulb with, especially with the adapter. However, the bucket I have is juuuuuust too small. So I'm either going to punch a hole in the back of this baby, or think about making my own since it'll be hiding behind a plate in the front eventually anyway. Still waiting on the horn to come in so I can get it inspected.

Back
Top Bottom