82 Guzzi V50 cafe project

cheese monkey

Hi guys, thought I would share with you my new project.

So here is how she looked originally-
guzzi1_zpsc4x8kmck.jpg

And here is the rough classic look I am aiming towards-
guzzi2_zpskjla659a.jpg

Obviously the finished product will look a lot better but just a rough idea

My ideas are simplicity. Bare bones minimal, anything that can be ditched- will be. Anything that can be hidden- will be. Even if that creates some major headaches

To do list, not in order!
Complete strip down, clean, paint, maintain, new fasteners etc
Tidy frame up, remove unneeded lugs etc
Seat + rear light (need to work out suspension travel)
Rear sets (this hurts my head to think about)
Mini digital clocks
Complete new loom
Keyless ignition + alarm
De-link brakes (need to work out m/c sizes)
General hiding of things
New fork tubes
New rear shocks
Professionally set up suspension
Carb rebuild + set up by someone else (I have a bad history with carbs)
Potentially new exhaust not sure
Come up with ideas to hide catch tank

And everything that goes with that lot. I quite like wiring but I know things like the seat and rearsets are going to be the challenging stuff for me

No rush to do anything so please dont expect daily updates. Hope you all enjoy. First step is complete strip down and clean. Hooray!

Had a quick tinker this afternoon, ripped the loom out. What a complete mess. How the hell this bike worked is beyond me. Dodgy loose corroded spade connectors, earth connections onto painted frame, electrical tape all over the show. Poor show. Stock loom is needlessly long too, looks like there's a section with a huge loop in it. Looking forward to rewiring it with custom loom and updating electrics. I like electrics!
20150706_185837_zpslwyiivon.jpg

Current plan for loom, its not right yet but I'm getting there
1977_V50%20mod_zps0n9ow0ax.gif

Bike has had airbox removed for K&Ns, which saves me a job. But also had some bulky breather/catch tank fitted. So have been trawling google for ideas to shrink this monster! Should be relatively straightforward... Famous last words
20150706_190128_zpsrydvruab.jpg

More stuff to strip next session. Nice pic you can see the 'history' of this bike well. Bike used to be military green until someone went over the accessible bits with a brush :-\
20150706_190202_zpsp3zmubhp.jpg

Had a good poke around. This thing is filthy.

Just some background- V50II engine in III frame and running gear. Bit odd but it works. Engine was rebuilt ~1000miles ago which is a major relief.

Get one of these. Pep Boys carries them, too.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpe-2164?seid=srese1&gclid=CLXVrLXh_sYCFQczaQod3E0FQQ

Get a cross fitting, run the down tube to the crank case, the two side tubes to the two heads, and put the vent filter up under the tank off of the top fitting.

Works great.

Yeh thanks for that man that was one of the ideas I had but lots of conflicting information about as to whether it would work. I don't see why not tbh so will probably go for it. Need to sort a gearbox catch tank too to stop it spewing oil all over rear of engine.

Hopefully starting new job soon so will have some funds to put into the bike finally.

First major project will be the seat/tank combo

Spent the afternoon starting to chop off the old handlebar clamps. Grinding ali is not fun...

Debating going for a different tank, the stock guzzi tank drops down quite low, want to show off that V twin a bit more. And get that nice flat line from front to back. Getting quite drawn to the brat style. Flat tank, flat seat.

Thought I would chop up the old seat to see if I could make something nice and usable out of it.

Nope, not even worth a photo ::)

Now I have a seat in two halves, a load of foam everywhere and a big mess.

Ah well, base of seat was totally rotten anyway. Got to try these things!

Debating whether to make one or buy one off eBay etc. Flat seat should be straightforward to make? There's some great looking off the shelf stuff, but I think whatever it is I would have to compromise somewhere

I went with the Benelli tank and Motolanna seat. It's a cliche, but it looks so damn good :p
Didn't have to modify the tank, either.

20151016_140023_zpsrdhcjmnz.jpg

And minimal controls

Starter and kill switches from HDB

20151016_1424101_zpsrx3ko6xm.jpg

And an enduro bike light/horn switch from Siccass Racing

20151016_140048_zpsmmd4unsl.jpg

A guy on the Guzzi forum used a Legendary Motorcycles Continental tank, too. Don't know what mods he had to do to it, but it looks good.
http://www.legendary-motorcycles.com/Continental.html

b4b052a4.jpg

Damn. I'd written off buying a tank and modding it but now you have changed my mind if I can get one to fit. That is spot on and your bike looks very similar to the image I got in my head!

Decided to make my own seat up.

Next step is to drop engine out and get a hoop fitted then make a seat to suit. Plus hunt down one of them tanks.

Those two switches were a total of $70, so way cheaper. But they take full sized wires that I will have to hide.

Got the breather set up sorted. And finished the wiring diagram! Made a sheet metal bender out of scrap wood so will try and get an electrics tray knocked up tomorrow

Ground off the old bar mounts. Only had a cutting disc so took a while ::)

Got fed up ringing welders who are too busy, so bought myself a MIG. I imagine there are going to be lots of odd bits of welding to do

Back
Top Bottom