82 Guzzi V50 cafe project

Work in progress - its finished now both sides done. First attempt at really grinding rather than cutting. Still need to finish and polish
20151027_153955_zpsxvprrppp.jpg

Went to fit seat hoop today but couldn't work out suspension travel. Just dug out the manual if anyone is interested the rear shock travel is 67-69mm + 8-10mm 'bottoming stroke' - whatever that is. So if I work to 80mm all is good.

You need to slope the vent hoses from the filter downward so they don't trap oil or let it drain into the filter.

Looks an interesting project you got there cheesy.

I knocked up my own seat base from an offcut of alli sheet. I have access to a mate's bead roller which helped. The seat foam was a cut n shut stock one,use an electric carving knife to rough it into shape and finish with 80grit paper and block, surprisingly easy to shape foam that way.

This is the beaded underside with an upholstery crimp strip to hold the material partly fixed. Notice the hump, where the oval bead is, to aid rear tyre clearance and introduce more rigidity.

Proof a carving knife works haha...

One half smoothed....

As I'm having the seat covered in leather I though I'd provide a waterproof lining and some extra comfort, so cut up a yoga mat and skinned the foam in it.

I'm still working out a way of fixing it in place - to hinge or not to hinge? that is the question.

Hope this helps? Colin

I was going to use Minicel foam to build a seat on an aluminum base before I found the Motolanna seat. It is used for Kayak seats and you can even leave it uncovered. Cuts with an electric knife or a belt sander.

http://kayakoutfitting.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=15

cheese monkey said:
Thought I would chop up the old seat to see if I could make something nice and usable out of it.

Nope, not even worth a photo ::)

Now I have a seat in two halves, a load of foam everywhere and a big mess.

Ah well, base of seat was totally rotten anyway. Got to try these things!

Debating whether to make one or buy one off eBay etc. Flat seat should be straightforward to make? There's some great looking off the shelf stuff, but I think whatever it is I would have to compromise somewhere
Hi cheese, I may have an original seat base kicking around in decent shape

Hey cheesy, I noticed you want to de-link the brakes. iirc you use a front master cylinder in the rear. The mounting holes are the same. I just ran a line up to the reservoir. I think I posted it in Dale's build thread.

Hi v-pilot, thanks but I dont need a seat base I intend on fabricating one soon!

I think I can mount the rear m/c on the lower frame rail and just about get away with it. Going to tac on a few mounts tomorrow and see what happens. Not sure what you mean about using the front m/c.

Got the seat hoop welded on today. No pics of the welding because I cant weld and I forgot to turn the gas on ::). At least its not structural. It will grind flat. Grinder is on the blink though, I think the grinding disc is to heavy as the vibrations are severe - use it for 30 seconds and get white finger instantly. Been fine before

Smooth join onto hoop now, pics to follow. New brake pads fitted on only one side of the GSX as the shop sent wrong ones!

Decided I am going to stick with stock tank for time being until I can make a decision on what to do. Nicked some sheet from work so will fab electrics tray over weekend.

Not sure what you mean about using the front m/c.

Using a front m/c in place of the rear when de-linking the brakes on the V50 will yield an acceptable lever ratio

Ok gotcha. How the hell would you attach the thing! :eek:

Been scratching my head today trying to figure out rear sets. Gave up, made up and started welding in electrics tray which went pretty well. I'm getting better at welding. Slowly. Also started to make up a rear tray section using old mudgaurd. Lots of chopping and testing and tacking, fiddly.

Must post some pics soon

Jubilee clips ;)

I don't actually know, my V50 has it's front cylinder built into the brake lever, and I'm going to run my brakes linked, so I'm not even sure what a stock front brake cylinder looks like. I've heard the same thing about fitting the front to the rear when de-linking though. (In reality - probably weld a bracket on somewhere discreet to mount it - now you can weld, you can do anything!)

I'll be keeping an eye on this, always good to see what other people are doing to the same bike. Regarding your breather setup - I can see the red pipe from the sump is the one that leads to the breather filter, where do the 2 from the rocker covers go to? venting to air or joining somewhere?

Oh, and f*ck knows how to do a linkage for rear sets for the gear linkage - it's going to be complicated! If you work something out, I'll be very interested! I Have rear sets here, but the gear linkage just looks a pain.

cheese monkey said:
Ok gotcha. How the hell would you attach the thing! :eek:

Been scratching my head today trying to figure out rear sets. Gave up, made up and started welding in electrics tray which went pretty well. I'm getting better at welding. Slowly. Also started to make up a rear tray section using old mudgaurd. Lots of chopping and testing and tacking, fiddly.

Must post some pics soon

The master cylinder mounting holes are the same for the front and rear. I mounted mine in the stock position and ran a flexible fluid line down from the reservoir instead of the steel one. You could also put a reservoir directly on top, simply pullout the plastic elbow.

I used these rearsets for my V50. Pricey, but they bolted right up and work fine.

http://www.flyhammer.it/shop/en/rearsets/402-moto-guzzi-v35-v50-v65-adjustable-rear-sets-racing.html

Well its been 2 years and I've made a little more progress today. Little one and total lack of funds had stopped play. Still have the baby, still have no funds, but the desire to get this thing up and running this year is back.

Worked out how to do the linkage for gears and brakes, with a few rod ends and bar and bending

Worked out what to do with the tank. Cant afford a new one so will paint the new one black lower down to get that nice straight line, and another colour above

Know where to mount rear MC, just tucked under frame rail where it was originally

Worked out where to put a new little battery. Will get a slim one laid flat under gearbox

Figured out the stupid sidestand with its stupid springs. Have thrown it in the bin. I hate sidestands and I especially hate this one. Center stands are totally underrated

Will change rear shocks if funds allow. 310mm eye to eye

Worked out what to do with electrics. Will keep stock timing, amps and coils. If any of it dont work I'll change it. New reg/rec for charging. Hybrid old/new loom. GPS speedo.

Does anyone know the rules on lights in UK? I want to totally ditch indicators, keep headlight hi/low and tail/brake light. No plate light if poss.

Spent the afternoon tidying the garage and grinding off even more unnecessary metal tabs from the frame.

Hey cheese,

Nice bike, look forward to seeing it progress.

To get her past the MOT I believe you need indicators front and back along with a numberplate light (and a red reflector).

Thanks! I looked up the rules myself actually after posing the question, and if it is built before 86 it doesn't need them :) . However I will stick some on if the tester wants to be difficult or whatever.

Made lots of progress today. Welded on a small tab for the tank strap so I could finally get it permanently mounted. Forgot how to weld so made a meal out of it but got it done.

Stripped down a van minibus seat that I couldn't give away for the foam and fabric for the seat. Built the seat pan and got it bolted down. Shaped the foam from the recycled seat with a kitchen knife heated up with my gas torch. The rear suspension travel means wheel will go up into the seat but be hidden as I built the pan around it.

With the seat well on the way it really feels like I've made massive progress! ;D .

Back
Top Bottom