New CL100 Owner

iatethepeach

Coast to Coast
This is where I'm at:

P5DG2Zk.jpg

The tank's solid- I topped it off with MEK and no leaks. There was some rust behind the bubbling Kreem, or whatever it is I peeled out by hand, but it didn't look too bad. I'll have a better idea tomorrow.

The carb looked OK after I cleaned it, too, except it's clearly Chinese aftermarket. Not too sure about that.

Thanks, trek97. I read a bunch of your build thread yesterday.

trek97 said:
How bout a pic of the whole bike?

The seat and side covers are AWOL in this shot, but it's close to the whole bike.

8x8aHip.jpg

iatethepeach said:
Thanks trek97. I read a bunch of your build thread yesterday.

The seat and side covers are AWOL in this shot, but it's pretty close to the whole bike.

Nice, was she running when you brought her home? or, are you gonna be able to get her fired up, before doing anything too crazy?

What year is she? Looks pretty clean in the pic.

I dont know first hand, but, have read on here that acetone works pretty well helping to remove old Kreem.

It ran OK when I bought it and parked it in my dad's shed six years ago. I only rode it once. There may have been some issue with idle at operating temperature, and I seem to recall a gearbox quirk. The brakes and suspension feel soft pushing it around. Basically, it's 45 years old (it's a '70).

Yep, that little bike looks clean in that picture.

Need to order the carb that trek has suggested for jb77 and me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CL100-Scrambler-Carburetor-Carb-CL100S-CL100S2-CL100S3-NEW-/191655135316?hash=item2c9f894854&vxp=mtr

budlite282 said:
Need to order the carb that trek has suggested for jb77 and me.

Nice tip, thanks. So is finding and rebuilding a stock carb not worth the effort? Or are these known to be better performers?

I replaced my carb simply cause after cleaning and reassembly when I blew it all out w compressor. Bubbles came out out everywhere. Around jet threads and all passageway plugs. Nothing but vacuum leaks, It was just time for new. It was worth the $50 bucks to me not to have to mess w the old.

BTW, what the heck is this MEK ?

I didn't accomplish as much today as I'd hoped, but the Kreem is gone, and after one quick session with rust remover it's clear the tank will clean up nicely.

VsdVEwl.jpg

I can't get back to this until next weekend, but it's just as well- FedEx lost the new battery I'd ordered, and USPS, the air filter.

There wasn't much rust in the tank, though there was plenty of crud left behind after the liner dissolved. I flushed the crap out of it on Sunday and did another quick rust treatment. My photo sucks but the inside of the tank really looks fantastic:

aWSmW07.jpg

6Vif0OE.jpg

So this afternoon I reinstalled everything and for a chuckle tried starting the bike in the flip-flops I had on (not SNELL certified). It fired up like it'd run yesterday, and in a celebratory display blew a small mouse nest out the pipe and all over the backyard. We're in business!

I let it idle for 10 minutes after adjusting the carb. Nothing leaked. All the lights work, even.

such a sweetie pie...thats cool bubba

dont look like too much to stop ya from installing the seat and going for a little spin. ;D

Yeah. Since it seems to be running well, today I'll register the bike and look into an antique plate. There are a couple issues to resolve before I can tool around on it, so there's time while I wait for the DMV. First off, the rear brake feels good but the front is very weak. I don't know if it needs new shoes or an adjustment. Also, I'm having unexpected trouble fitting the tank with the new rubber mounts I picked up, and it looks like the PO had a little trouble, too, as the left tab that holds the rear rubber mount is snapped off. There's a small ding in the front-left of the tank- I think they may have banged it into something hard enough at some point to bend the mounts and/or collars a bit.

x3XbRJ5.jpg

K4lZOFd.jpg

EgFVNuD.jpg

iatethepeach said:
Yeah. Since it seems to be running well, today I'll register the bike and look into an antique plate. There are a couple issues to resolve before I can tool around on it, so there's time while I wait for the DMV. First off, the rear brake feels good but the front is very weak. I don't know if it needs new shoes or an adjustment. Also, I'm having unexpected trouble fitting the tank with the new rubber mounts I picked up, and it looks like the PO had a little trouble, too, as the left tab that holds the rear rubber mount is snapped off. There's a small ding in the front-left of the tank- I think they may have banged it into something hard enough at some point to bend the mounts and/or collars a bit.

x3XbRJ5.jpg

K4lZOFd.jpg

EgFVNuD.jpg

I have that same issue..............................plus a gap between the tank and this new (new to me) seat I just received in the mail.

Can't figure it out myself.

Bike really does look good, and sounds ok too.

Back
Top Bottom