Jail's for Cops

stillatwork

so here's a situation:

-Legally purchased a bike from a guy, bill of sale, transferable reg (pre 72 in NYS). everything's clean. take it to dmv, it's in my name.

-Engine winds up needing overhaul. Specifically the bottom end. To save money, I am able to find the same make/model engine (lucky, right?) for 850 (new rebuilt by a professional mechanic and guaranteed) that I can put my top end on, and then it's good to go. Saves me tons of money on labor/machining/time/more shit I find wrong. also as much as the parts I need with machining essentially.

-So if I go through with this, I would have a new vin on my engine which doesn't match my vin on my registration. Yes, my registration is to my old engine, not my frame. My frame is a mismatch. So I'm S.O.L. on paperwork.

Ideas?

Why did you not just get the frame titled instead? I'm not following maybe.

Regardless, personally I'd just do it. Never in my many, many, many, many run ins have I EVER seen a police officer check a V.I.N. on a traffic stop. I assume that is because I have never been pulled over while driving a suspected stolen vehicle, which is the only thing that would prompt roadside VIN check.

Document everything, and keep that paperwork under the seat or something. And realize you won't be able to title or register it in another state without some legwork and paperwork.

Just stay off Rt 17 in upstate NY....NY State Troopers run Motorcycle checkpoints. They stop every bike and check registration and Vin. If they are even the slightest in doubt, they impound the bike.

I worry as my CB360 never had a matching vin frame and motor number.

Lot's of complaints but they keep doing it.

Mydlyfkryzis said:
Just stay off Rt 17 in upstate NY....NY State Troopers run Motorcycle checkpoints. They stop every bike and check registration and Vin. If they are even the slightest in doubt, they impound the bike.

I worry as my CB360 never had a matching vin frame and motor number.

Lot's of complaints but they keep doing it.

Once they get the taste of those doughnuts from selling off impounded cycles they are hooked... revenuers are parasites mang :eek:

Wow, thanks for that heads up. I literally live right by 17...haven't pieced the bike back together yet, fully SHOULD be good next week. I think I'm going to ride until the end of the season then do xferable reg through Vermont on the frame VIN, and get a repair paper for mismatching engine vin, and hopefully that, documentation, and a PBA card will be enough...cops man...

The worst area on Rt 17 is around the Deposit, NY area. They have a lot speed traps in that area. I figure that the local court there likes collecting speeding fines, and the PoPo likes giving out the tickets.

yeah I'm familiar with Deposit, I drive through it sometimes to go to Rochester..I'm more down by like the Newburgh area but still thanks for the heads up. I normally would take 52 on the bike to get up around that area.

What bike is it? It depends because it may be VIN'd by the motor or by the chassis/frame. My 62 Sportster XR is titled by the engine # as they didn't have frame numbers until 1969. Most legal VIN's are frame numbers regardless of engine number.

Back
Top Bottom