1973 ironhead 1000. "the dark side" dead tail

Re: 1973 ironhead 1000. "the dark side" dead tail

o1marc said:
Just curious about all the double your money talk and what a good deal it was when you never mentioned what you paid for it? ;D
As far as how do you turn one with those long forks. Most street riding you turn the forks less than 5*, it's not like your going road racing with one of those, lean it and it turns. A stock Sportster tank would look 100% better than that "ugly lump" as someone described it. All Balls doesn't have a bearing to fit your stem and bearing cups?
Your disclaimer is usually an instant magnet for criticism, as though anyone heeds though disclaimers. ::)

Yep, price wasn't posted in this thread, but other places on the forum. Bought it for $1300.

I don't know if all balls makes cups for it, but someone has already put tapered bearing cups on it for the HD front end. The pressed in races are the same as the ones I have for my Honda front end, so short of opening the through hole up a bit to clear the Honda stem, they are all good. I know my way around a machine shop well, so that isn't an issue.

I wasn't saying that it would be impossible to ride with that extended front end, I just don't want to. I've spent many a mile (about 10k a year) on a bike, I'm well aware that you don't do a full lock turn while riding.

The disclaimer was a bit of sarcasm mixed with truth. I understand that a hardtail is not a mod to better a bikes handling. It's purely for looks, especially in the case of a suspended bike being made a hardtail. This bike will serve the purpose of being what some would categorize as a bar hopper, though I personally don't drink and ride. Some people don't get it, and that's OK, they don't have to buy or build one. I merely said that to say that I ALREADY KNOW that they are a downgrade in handling and rideability, and on this bike, that's entirely OK with me

Thanks Justin, you contribution is appreciated =)
b68f06f3a629331213453e3abeae8646.jpg

A little bracket modification and she will be a dandy!

He only gave that to you because he expects it to return to him with the rest of the bike.

deviant said:
He only gave that to you because he expects it to return to him with the rest of the bike.
Lol I was thinking about that.

JustinLonghorn said:
Good. I even left some Maryland dirt on it, just for good luck.

I plan on leaving it there too man

Got a sporty tank on the way from ol von. This will be a dtt mod podge by the time it's done. It's nice to have a great group of guys like ya'll that are willing to help a guy out.

hurco550 said:
Got a sporty tank on the way from ol von. This will be a dtt mod podge by the time it's done. It's nice to have a great group of guys like ya'll that are willing to help a guy out.

I think I know a guy who'll send you a set of Firestone tires for it!

Haha if they weren't so expensive, that's what I'd run

Find some of these vintage Goodyears Mine is as new and soft

Stock sporty tire back in the day?:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/360662186175?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82

Attachments

• IMG_20141117_194250464.jpg
    IMG_20141117_194250464.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 388

Yep, those are slick man

Hmm maybe ill build a springer front end. I mean heck, im a certified welder and a machinist/ tool and die maker. I would guess people who made them back in the day/ now were also welders and tool and die makers. I have read through this a few times, and seems to have some pretty good useful info.

http://www.chopperhandbook.com/springbuild.htm

hurco550 said:
Hmm maybe ill build a springer front end. I mean heck, im a certified welder and a machinist/ tool and die maker. I would guess people who made them back in the day/ now were also welders and tool and die makers. I have read through this a few times, and seems to have some pretty good useful info.

http://www.chopperhandbook.com/springbuild.htm
That's a lot of sweat equity into a bike that was gonna be a flipper. Pay yourself at least $35 an hour for your fab time and you'll be surprised what you'd have to sell it for to recoup that. And, regardless of being a welder, the frontend might not end up performing well at all. All the math in the world and sometimes it STILL doesnt work the first time you try it, and unless you plan on going into production the"i did it to learn and get better at it" doesnt really make much sense either.

Neat idea though.

Not a debbie downer just the voice of reason. All are welcome to insult my opinion and make it personal as usual.

^^I do however think a springer would fit this build perfectly. It would just make a lot more sense to find a nice used one, they really arent that hard to find. I bet tune knows where a few are.

Yeah, get one long (cheap because..) you have the skills to chorten (yes with a c) it and have it exactly hows you want it.

A springer or girder would be pretty cool for the thing. Of course you could go to the other side of the coin, go completely weird, be a trend setter, and go USD on the thing. That would leave 'em scratching their heads for sure. Seriously, I guess the decision is assisted by whether it's a keeper or a flipper. Of course it also occurs to me that it depends on your target buyer, would the prospective buyer of this bike consider buying a Harley w/ rice bike parts on it? Maybe some would, others would buy it and then turn around and rebuild it again.

Back
Top Bottom