Chrome exhaust cleaning

Mr Bernzo

Been Around the Block
I have been using every available method I can find to clean this set of chrome pipes. I assume the stains are 2 stroke gearbox oil baked onto the chrome. The clean up of dirt, grime and rust has not been to hard to do, these stains are stubborn though.
And ideas would be appreciated.
I have tried chrome cleaner, glass cleaner, aluminium foil, steel wool, metal polish and CLR clear so far.
22d86050e35d313e8221937d54b51a6a.jpg
f7531f926eb6b678ce4534fa7ccdf713.jpg

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

You can try scratch and swirl remover, the stuff harley davidson sells works quite well.

The thing about the quick glo is that it has a wax in it that helps form a protective thin coat. Just something to consider.

Mr Bernzo said:
Oven cleaner you say? Might even have some of that in the house.
Best stuff for oil that's been burned on. Let it sit for a minute or two and that stuff will wipe off. Won't damage the chrome.

If you do use oven cleaner I would spray it on a rag not directly on the pipes. You could get over spray and you don’t want it sitting on the aluminum block too long. It can cause pitting.

esmoojee said:
If you do use oven cleaner I would spray it on a rag not directly on the pipes. You could get over spray and you don’t want it sitting on the aluminum block too long. It can cause pitting.
I have the pipes off the bike so over spray shouldn't be an issue. Going to try a small amount on the under side first, see how it goes.

S3 Steve said:
Hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks a lot like my pipes where battery acid spilled on them. :(
That sucks, were they ruined after that? Who knows what this bike has been through in its tortured life.

Unfortunately oven cleaner did nothing to remove the stains.

Looking at the photos again, it looks like S3 Steve is right -- those are battery acid stains and you won't get them out. That big black patch in the first picture looks like baked in oil.

carnivorous chicken said:
Looking at the photos again, it looks like S3 Steve is right -- those are battery acid stains and you won't get them out. That big black patch in the first picture looks like baked in oil.
Unfortunately the big black patch is far worse, it's a dent with rub through nthe chrome. I'm already trying to polish a turd.

Back
Top Bottom