www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: Project two---a CB400F  (Read 3692 times)

Offline tattoo

Re: Project two---a CB400F
« Reply #20 on: Dec 08, 2017, 17:51:55 »
Glimpses of what might actually eventually be!!!

Sorted out my "wheel is not centered between the forks" hiccup.   I goofed when I laced the wheel - with it laying on a table, I snubbed up all the nipples by hand, then threw it on the axle/forks to true it.   This resulted in me truing a wheel that was askew to one side.   Lesson learned!

With that sorted, I test fitted the painted brake caliper mounts and rotors to hub, and hung the whole shebang from the forks.   Test fitted the (empty) calipers......I *think* we're off to a decent start.....nothing looks wonky to me....?    I think I wiped up all the drool.     :D

Also got that CB550 top triple home, gave it a quick roughup and did the Satin Black thing to it to match the lower triple.

Offline 1fasgsxr

« Reply #21 on: Dec 08, 2017, 20:19:35 »
What hear did you source that front end from?  I like the dual disk alot!
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=41083.0

Life is a journey from the maternity ward to the crematorium....

Offline tattoo

« Reply #22 on: Dec 08, 2017, 20:56:04 »
Thanks!   

Most of the front end is a '72 (or '73) CB500 Four----the forks (with Mikes XS emulators installed), the hub/axle etc.  The rim is a 1975 kawasaki KZ400 1.85x18x40 front rim, and it's laced to the hub with KZ400 spokes.

The intention is to beef up the 400F's suspension and braking abilities...

Offline 1fasgsxr

« Reply #23 on: Dec 08, 2017, 21:58:42 »
The hub is a CB piece?

Offline tattoo

« Reply #24 on: Dec 08, 2017, 22:21:30 »
Yup.   '72 (or '73) CB500 Four

Using the 500F hub, axle, speedometer drive, and axle nut, with the 400F LHS axle spacer (same PN, and NLA).   Rangelov's dual disk speedometer drive adapter plate takes the place of the OEM plate on the RHS.

Offline 1fasgsxr

« Reply #25 on: Dec 08, 2017, 22:50:55 »
Thanks for the info

Offline tattoo

« Reply #26 on: Dec 14, 2017, 10:03:55 »
Rear wheel assembly time.

From this

To this

Although I had to walk away from it a couple of times to refill the gumption tank, got the wheel trued as well.

Tire time!!

Offline tattoo

« Reply #27 on: Dec 16, 2017, 01:07:42 »
Pulled the trigger on the tank plan today too.

After a lot of stewing, the tank and side covers will be sanded down, some small repairs to the tank and one side cover done, and repainted in as close to Light Ruby Red as we can get.

Did a little polishing too...getting these bits ready for eventual reassembly.

I think the engine's gonna be a mix of "as clean as as I can get it" metals and some polished items.  Hope it results in something interesting to look at.

Offline tattoo

« Reply #28 on: Jan 05, 2018, 23:39:00 »
Winter has certainly established its presence here lately this year---man it's cold in the garage!!

So, not much going on out there-----but seat bits are all assembled awaiting a visit to the upholsterer

And the tank / side covers came back from the painter

Offline ex119x

« Reply #29 on: Jan 15, 2018, 01:08:46 »
Just to note, you might not have a leaking headgasket. The 75 CB400F had a problem with porous cylinder castings and would weep a little oil. There was a recall on them, but not all of them got done since the leak was small or non-existent until later. At this point, there isn't anything you could do about it except replace the cylinders from a 76 or 77.

The other thing I would suggest is to reverse your fork legs so the calipers move to the back. This lightens up the steering feel and helps the forks self center with the weight of the calipers behind the axle. The only other thing you need to do is remove the rivets from the front fender brace and reverse it so the fender fits back on the right way. I just used button head allen screws to bolt the fender back to the brace.

Also, as a suggestion, I shortened the rear fender on my CB350 race bike on the forward edge where it bolts togethere under the seat. That way the cut portion is concealed and you can still keep the rolled edge instead of a cut off sharp edge.

All in all it is looking good. I bought a blue one new in the spring of 1975 for $1240.00. My first new bike.