www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Project CB690 (KTM 690 engine in a CB550f frame)  (Read 5064 times)

Offline goodoltup

• Personal and Work Website
Project CB690 (KTM 690 engine in a CB550f frame)
« on: Feb 04, 2018, 12:30:08 »
I'm embarking on a project that I've had in mind for a long time, and finally have the funds to start. I want to make a bike that I would like to ride. A classic bike, with a standard riding position. A modern bike, with disc brakes and good suspension. A fast bike, but with torque and low end power. A bike that does not exist yet, or at least not one that I am completely happy with. I also kind of want to make a custom bike as a protest against some of the trends that see and dislike, such as uncomfortable seats, missing fenders, and rear brake lights that no one can see. I want to make a safe and comfortable bike, too. Are you with me?
A little about me.. I've been riding for 20 years, but not the whole time. I went to MMI in the early 2000's and worked as a Honda mechanic in LA for a few years. After that I switched to small engines and did that for a number of years. Now I am a mechanical engineer, and I live in England. The company I work for makes hermetic connectors for aerospace and military applications, and I am very happy doing what I do. I currently ride a 1976 Honda CD175, but have owned CB550s, CB750s, an XL350, a CB350, and a Suzuki SV650. I am mostly a Honda guy, but that SV650 was just a dream to ride.
I chose the CB550 frame because it has the classic looks that I want, and I am most familiar with Honda. I chose the KTM 690 because I like singles, and because it's a street bike, the engine will have a proper alternator, neutral light, electric starter, etc. I was considering using a CRF450 engine just to keep it all Honda, but I would have to compromise on some of those things.
Lets begin!

Offline goodoltup

Re: Project CB690 (KTM 690 engine in a CB550f frame)
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2018, 12:32:07 »
This is my garage and workspace.

Offline goodoltup

« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2018, 12:33:23 »
I built the workbench specifically for this project. In this picture it's not completely finished, and I am still organising my wrenches.

Offline goodoltup

« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2018, 12:35:39 »
Here is the KTM 690 donor bike. It was cheaper to buy the whole bike than to buy the engine, injector, harness, etc. Plus, I get the handlebar controls, rear brake master, rear wheel, possibly front wheel, and lots of other parts. What I don't use will be sold off.

Offline goodoltup

« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2018, 12:37:07 »
I bought the bike and had it delivered, it came the next day. I had most of the covers and tank stripped off that weekend.

Offline goodoltup

« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2018, 12:38:22 »
Stack of parts to be photographed and put on eBay.

Offline goodoltup

« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2018, 12:40:41 »
Engine ready to come out. My wife's scooter is in the background.

Offline goodoltup

« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2018, 12:42:28 »
And the motor is out!

Offline goodoltup

« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2018, 12:45:47 »
I did some work on the bench here. I put up plywood to hang wrenches and things on. I will put some cabinets up top when it warms up a little. It has been like 0 degrees F for weeks, and I can only spend so much time out in the garage right now. I need a heater!

Offline Tim

• Administrator
  • DTT SUPPORTER
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2018, 12:54:36 »
This is a crazy idea - gotta keep watching!

Nice little work space.  Inspiring me to go clean up my garage but not till it warms up a bit more.  In England, with 220v all over the place, can you get a decent electric heater in the shop?

Here in NA (Canada for me) of course everything is 120v unless you run a 220v circuit specifically for things like welders, dryers, heaters and whatnot.

How does it work in England?  I'd expect for higher amperage draws there would be a different outlet style and naturally heavier gauge wiring to avoid plugging a welder into the outlet for a TV.
"Quality . . . you know what it is, yet you don't know what it is. But that's self-contradictory. But some things are better than others, that is, they have more quality. But when you try to say what the quality is, apart from the things that have it, it all goes poof! There's nothing to talk about. But if you can't say what Quality is, how do you know what it is, or how do you know that it even exists? If no one knows what it is, then for all practical purposes it doesn't exist at all. But for all practical purposes it really does exist."