Allow me to introduce myself

trek97 said:
Great to see you got it going. Good job bud. 8)

Thanks! Couldn’t have done it without talking it over with you guys first. Me and everyone in the shop were scratching our heads. It just didn’t make good sense at first. After talking about it, it was a no brainer.

I changed the fork seals today, and got everything buttoned back up. The only thing left is to wire the lights.

I’m disappointed in how ugly it’s going to look, but it’s only temporary. My budget is history, and at this point I’ve just got to get it home. At least I’ll be able to ride it a little. This winter I’ll break it all down again. I need to do some light mods to make it look better, but mainly need to do permanent re wire. I want to go with the moto gadget basic. I haven’t heard anything negative about it yet, and I’m going to be missing the creature comforts (aka hand controls).

I’m planning on going a different route. I’m at a point in life where trends make me sick, and the word “cafe racer” is pushing that boundary. I’m going to go for more functionality, while simply cleaning up the look. Maybe make it look a bit more modern as apposed to vintage? Or I’ve been playing with different tanks, and I could pretty easily make it look more vintage. Here’s an inspiration photo. I’m really digging the seat on this bike. I need to keep a bit of a 2 up, because the misses likes to ride. This also keeps most everything else stock and simple.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Attachments

• Image1530497284.077379.jpg
    Image1530497284.077379.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 218
Okay guys, here’s what’s going on. Took the bike out today. Ran awesome to the gas station. After I filled up the bike started backfiring hard. Got it back to the shop and started problem shooting. I thought it may be a gas flow issue, but now I’m pretty certain it’s not. The valves are in spec. Charging system, and spark plugs are brand new. Does this sound like a timing issue. It cranks and idle great. Once I’m riding it, it rides fine until around 7k rpms then it stalls and lets out one hell of a backfire. Like a 4 foot flame out the pipe. After if back fires, it propelled forward again back to the back fire again.

Seems like timing to me, but what do you guys think. Fuel does seem like it’s flowing kind of week through the petcock, but I still feel like it should be enough

I’ve never had an advancer stick. So, not sure what the effects are.
But ensure the advancer is working properly.

trek97 said:
I’ve never had an advancer stick. So, not sure what the effects are.
But ensure the advancer is working properly.

Well, I no longer have the advancers. I’ve got the cycle x ignition. I found the problem. I had a screw that had loosened on my ignition switch, so I was losing voltage there. But, today it died at a redlight and I couldn’t get it to fire back up. After it set for about 30 minutes, Boom, fires back up. I ran it about 10 miles and it dies again. I pushed it for about 2 hours, then I go to start it and it fires up again! I rode it around the block and it died again. I’m not sure what’s going on. I’m not an expert, so I feel lost at the moment. I’m feeling doubtful that it will ever run right again

As soon as it dies I would jump off and pull a plug and check for spark.

Im pretty skeptical when it comes to the reliability of any electronic ignition systems.

trek97 said:
As soon as it dies I would jump off and pull a plug and check for spark.

Im pretty skeptical when it comes to the reliability of any electronic ignition systems.

I will try that for sure. I’m wondering if the plugs may be fouled again. I’m running iridium plugs, and I loved them with the stock system. Maybe they aren’t good for this system?

Also, check your gas cap is venting properly. And fuel lines aren't getting hot. (to close or touching any part of the engine)

Some electronic ignition systems do employ the old mechanical advancers. Double check to ensure the one your using does not.
(im sure it wouldn't have fit properly if it required the advancers, however, IDK anything about them)

I had an 89 Dodge Ram that would just die unexpectedly, 20 minutes start right up again.
It was the ECI pickups failing. Made for exciting driving through intersections, across bridges and stuff. :p

I installed a Pertronix system in my 70 Chevy. Left me and my 6yo daughter stranded - camping in the woods - 100 miles from home. ARGH!!!

Hi there quid hunter, Reading you r thread, I can't offer any advise or expereince of ignition systems or carb tuning tbh.

But I can see what you're maybe trying to achieve with your Honda and to that end I can tell you it is possible to turn a mid 80s bike into something looking quite different.

Having read through countless thread and posts regarding engine/carb mods and how problematic they can be if your stray from factory. So I made the decision to retain the factory set up, and jolly pleased I did as my Honda starts, rides and stops as it should and always had :)

I love your inspiration bike and can see how you'd go the same route to very good effect I reckon. However, should you feel the need to go a bit more retro, may I offer a view of mine which may help?

FqcW01a.jpg

skBYsPU.jpg

Good luck fella

SquidHunter said:
I will try that for sure. I’m wondering if the plugs may be fouled again. I’m running iridium plugs, and I loved them with the stock system. Maybe they aren’t good for this system?

Your problems sound like ignition to me.

I’ve had similar symptoms with a failing condenser and dodgy wiring.
Being as you dont have a condenser now and have just wired in the CycleX i’d strongly suspect a bad connection somewhere. It could be fuel related of course but i was once told ‘90% of fuel problems are actually ignition’ and that does seem to be true!

Good luck fixing it, and i love the look of your inspiration bike !

Steve

NoRiders said:
Hi there quid hunter, Reading you r thread, I can't offer any advise or expereince of ignition systems or carb tuning tbh.

But I can see what you're maybe trying to achieve with your Honda and to that end I can tell you it is possible to turn a mid 80s bike into something looking quite different.

Having read through countless thread and posts regarding engine/carb mods and how problematic they can be if your stray from factory. So I made the decision to retain the factory set up, and jolly pleased I did as my Honda starts, rides and stops as it should and always had :)

I love your inspiration bike and can see how you'd go the same route to very good effect I reckon. However, should you feel the need to go a bit more retro, may I offer a view of mine which may help?

FqcW01a.jpg

skBYsPU.jpg

Good luck fella

Thanks for sharing! Love that look. I’m going to keep the carbs and airbox stock, I’m sure.

Sderbyshire said:
Your problems sound like ignition to me.

I’ve had similar symptoms with a failing condenser and dodgy wiring.
Being as you dont have a condenser now and have just wired in the CycleX i’d strongly suspect a bad connection somewhere. It could be fuel related of course but i was once told ‘90% of fuel problems are actually ignition’ and that does seem to be true!

Good luck fixing it, and i love the look of your inspiration bike !

Steve

I do know that the fuel flow seems to be inconsistent. It’s strong, then week, then strong and week again. I suspected it from the beginning, but the fact that it ran great for a while then didn’t is what leads me to believe it’s electrical. Something may have worked loose. I’ll rewire the whole thing if I have too. It’s not that complicated. On the other hand, I suspect the plugs again due to the symptoms leading up to the failure. Once I got the bike up to about 70-80 mph I started noticing it bog down a little and then it cleared up. Then when I stopped at a light it died and wouldn’t start.

I know it’s not a fuel venting problem. I already ruled that out by drilling through the old gas cap. It needs a new one anyway so why not.

I’m going to rip into it tomorrow, as I have some free time. It’s frustrating because everything is new. The week link would be my wiring. There’s some connections, and even though I checked them it was my first time.

Other than that, could it be the timing? It’s curious that it would run fine and then fail. How could the timing change?

Got to work on her a bit today. I pulled the plugs, and everything looked good. Went over the wiring, and everything looked good there. Bike fired right up, and rode great. Lol, I really don’t get it..... how the hell could it completely die, and not crank to fires up perfect and runs great. I’m stumped. I’ve never experienced anything like this.

I’m thinking something must have passed through the carbs. Jeez

I'm in this boat with you now with my CB350F.

Fires up, runs great, rides beautiful.

Park it, next day won't fire at all, peeing gas all over the floor, air box filled with gas.

Geez.......one thing or another.

Now the CB750 is the same way. Guess I got my work cut out for me.

WhyNot said:
I'm in this boat with you now with my CB350F.

Fires up, runs great, rides beautiful.

Park it, next day won't fire at all, peeing gas all over the floor, air box filled with gas.

Geez.......one thing or another.

Now the CB750 is the same way. Guess I got my work cut out for me.

Sounds like a carb issue to me. I think I’m having timing issues, or maybe the iridium spark plugs I’m using. I’m really not sure.

https://youtu.be/T-OlVCVaHz8

Here’s the bike reving after about a 15-20 minute romp. I’m getting a tiny bit of backfiring. Could it be valves after the bike heats up?

Back
Top Bottom