Is this frame usable?

x94cherry

Hey guys--I recently got hold of an old Suzuki dirtbike that someone has done some work on. I don't really know the story behind it, but it looks like someone sanded or ground the rust off and repainted it.

I've noticed a couple spots where too much grinding was done, and some welds that look funny to me. So I'm a little concerned about the integrity of the frame. On the other hand, the grinding seems to be in a pretty low-stress area of the frame, and from what I gather, the weld quality on these bikes was never great.

I've fixed up plenty of bikes but don't really have any frame experience, so I thought I'd see what the group thinks about the attached photos. Would you ride this frame? If not, can it be fixed? The bike is complete and runs and rides well.

Attachments

• suz1.jpg
    suz1.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 263
  • suz2.jpg
    suz2.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 266
  • suz3.jpg
    suz3.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 262
I don't see anything wrong. That tail part looks like maybe it was bent up more, possible to clear the tail light, and pinched the tube some.

MiniatureNinja said:
those welds just look like typical old factory Japanese motorcycle welds
+1.Back end probably bent after a failed wheelie, it's pretty common on dirt bikes

The shiny paint is showing the welds in all their ugliness. Early (and some later) Jap bikes had rough looking welds. There looks to be something strange on the rear loop, maybe a bad repair but that it is not a vital area so for me nothing to worry about. Enjoy it

Great, thanks everyone. I can see why they originally painted the frames black! It's in pretty nice shape otherwise so I'm pretty stoked to get it on the road. Just gotta get the front brake working a little better, change the gearing and add a few bits for street riding.

I had a ts185 and the welds were the same. I too had it silver and you really do notice Suzuki's dodge welds of that era.

Back
Top Bottom