Painting threads?

doc_rot

Oh the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
DTT SUPPORTER
DTT BOTM WINNER
I am in the process of rebuilding a shock and the threads that the preload adjuster screws onto are rusty. My plan is to sandblast, and put a very thin coat of Gun Kote on there. It has proven to be pretty durable before but this will be asking a lot from it. Are there any other suggestions to make this look cosmetically better?

Attachments

• 4267711B-B968-439D-BD17-4B19E452D08C.jpeg
    4267711B-B968-439D-BD17-4B19E452D08C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 264
#1 I wouldn't sandblast threads like that - wire brush, preferably brass wire brush (it can be a rotary). Maybe nickel plate?

+1 on the nickel plating. I had all the hardware on my last resto plated and it came out great. Side note, I bead blasted all the hardware before plating and had no issues.

A thin coat of paint would probably work, but it may scrape off when you thread it back in and just rust all over again.

I'm pretty sure Gun Kote is thinner than any plating. You won't be adjusting it enough to wear it off, I would guess. I think you have the right idea. I wouldn't sandblast it, but a good solvent clean and brass brush should do it up nice. Maybe something less abrasive, if you blast it.

J-Rod10 said:
When you say gun kote, do you mean Cerakote?
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/metal-prep-coloring/paint-finishes/bake-on-aerosol-paints/gun-kote-oven-cure-gun-finish-prod1150.aspx

Gun Kote is also self-lubricating.

Interesting stuff.

Cerakote lays down at about .0002" and is ridiculously durable. However, it requires a gun to spray. You could likely get pretty damn close to matching that blue as well.

I'm using the stuff KG makes for themselves, not the stuff they produce for Brownells. Paint that needs to spray out of a can is never quite as good as the real thing.

Its the same paint that SOCOM paints their guns with.

https://www.kgcoatings.com/products/2400-series-gun-kote

Ah, basically Cerakote. They came out with it, then everybody else with theirs.

It lays on super thin, it's durable. It's thinner than the anodize they dip them in from the factory.

I wouldn't blast the threads, though. Hit that spot with a wire wheel.

It's not Cerakote at all. Cerakote is polymer-ceramics, so basically beta silicon carbide. Gun Kote is molybdenum disulphide. Same uses, but different compositions altogether.

Back
Top Bottom