Dee Wrench... My Intro

Dee Wrench

Joined a few days back, just now getting around to saying hello.

I've got a few Suzuki models I tinker with as time and funds allow. :)

The Jimbonaut said:
Got any photos of the bikes fella? ;)

My latest project that has put a few others on hold. I paid $140 for it. A 1977 Suzuki GS550 that inhabited a field for several years. Number one cylinder seized with heavy rust as a result of water pooling in the cylinder. Number 4 cylinder was seized but not as badly.

First photo is of the bike as shown to me by the seller where it was parked and forgotten.

Next photo of it once home. Removed the handlebar mounted fairing it came with. The seat was missing. Tank is in excellent shape and remarkably rust free on the inside (despite the condition of the engine) and the exterior is dent free. Fortunately the bike had a key stuck in the ignition which easily opened the fuel tank latch so I could check out the inside. Points cover was missing as was the sprocket cover on the left side. Airbox is MIA as are the two frame covers. Carbs had been detached but were laying on the engine. Carb boots were gone. A Kerker (I assume) was in place of the stock exhaust tubes.

Next photo is how it currently sits. I removed the engine, wiring, stock handlebars, lights, gauges, etc. Headstock bearings definitely need replacing. Wheel bearings will be replaced.

I've bought a set of OEM carb boots for it thus far, along with frame covers and stock airbox. Also bought a GS650 head with cams, cylinder barrels and pistons with the thought that I'd like to do the 673 conversion (still researching the process). My end goal is to do a quasi-restoration with a hint of it's bigger brother (GS1000 Superbike) lineage in it's final form.

That elusive thing called "free time" and "funding" means this will be a slow project. No hurries as I do have a newer bike to ride around on when the mood strikes so there is no pressure to really go balls to the wall on this project.

Hello from East Tennessee. That looks like a fun project. Retirement is giving me much more time to piddle with projects, but I find that if too much time is spent per day on them, they start to become work.

pidjones said:
Hello from East Tennessee. That looks like a fun project. Retirement is giving me much more time to piddle with projects, but I find that if too much time is spent per day on them, they start to become work.

Thanks. I'm 54 so retirement is still a bit down the road... unless I win a lottery (which I've never played).

A couple of pics from the 'Class of 72'. Neither are currently running, but both have good compression and turn over. Projects for later down the road.

TS185 -

T250 -

Class of 6X?

Picked this critter up last summer. Seller had it listed as a '69 Suzuki T200. VIN tag lists it as a T200, number 120xx. Haven't been able to determine it's exact year yet. Tank doesn't seem to be original to the T200 lineup... may have come off a T200 Scrambler Stingray.

This poor little fella had a seized motor. Managed to free it up and began the process of tearing down the motor entirely. Both forks were bent. Parts are tough to find so when it's all said and done she may end up being a paperweight.

I had it for less than a year when an oncoming cager suddenly did a lefty. Totaled my bike but fortunately I came away unscathed and walking.

1fasgsxr said:
My brother let a buddy ride it and he totaled it for him. :mad:

That sucks. Something I learned fifty years ago... I never let someone else use my stuff (bikes, cars, tools, etc). Chances are they'll damage or destroy it and never provide restitution.

Back
Top Bottom