Chooing Rattle can for painting job - Which Brand?

enterlance

Hi DTT, I'm new to here. I recently started my CB750 Cafe project and I am now at the time about to start painting.
I know to achieve best result I suppose to powdercoat the frame but due to $$$ reasons I decided to go for rattle can.

Is there any good brand you guys have good experience of ? I will need primer, base coat, and clear coat, and here's a list that things I need to paint:

Frame
Tank
Seat pan (Fiberglass seat pan I made myself)
Fork cover
Wheel
Engine(I did research and will use VHT for this one)

I've heard Eastwood 2k clearcoat is good, how is their base coat and primer?
Please share me your wisdom!!! Thank you!!

Edit: I'm in California, and seems like no Eastwood spray can I can buy from here lol

I've purchased USC SprayMax 2K Clear from Amazon. Haven't had weather right to use it yet, but I've heard good things about it. Don't know if they will ship to CA either.

Ive used Rustoleum appliance epoxy on the last 2 frames Ive done and will be using it again next winter on the second resto of my 400f...

Just strip to bare metal...No primer or clear coat needed w Black epoxy.

My wifes 78 Hondamatic...

11494-241217142430-2974533.jpeg

11494-280218175223-3355421.jpeg

11494-280218175223-3354287.jpeg

1972 Piglet...I used a lot of Black epoxy on Piglet...

11494-010615201315.jpeg

11494-300515123609-114839.jpeg

11494-180318122803.png

11494-130518115638-37462452.jpeg

11494-180715201634.jpeg

Tank and side covers I sprayed on my patio w Farm store "Cub Cadet beige" and finished w Spraymax 2K gloss.

11494-190316054429.jpeg

11494-130518102048-37361173.jpeg

11494-270615161753-13261985.jpeg

Cant go wrong w VHT. (No longer red btw)...I used it years ago on my poor old 360.

11494-031118214357.png

Spraymax 2k clear is great. It lays down so much smoother and easier than regular spray clear. Also if you want really nice paint thia place https://www.66autocolor.com/ does house of kolor paint in spray cans. I used it for my tank and seat, first paint job that wasn't just primer. I ended up spending about $200 between primer, color and clear.

Attachments

• 20180822_164114~01.jpg
    20180822_164114~01.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 320
the spray max is amazing. their glamour clear is easy to work with, sprays on great and turns out awesome.

Thanks for the replies guys! I'm flattered.
Think I will try Spray max 2k gloss as amazon will ship it to California.

Rustoleum appliance epoxy looks great! I will use it for the frame, Duplicolor looks like a fine choice for base coat so that's what I will use.

Frame: Rustoleum appliance epoxy
Tank/seat pan/fork: Duplicolor
Clear Coat: Spray max 2k.

Just remember that Spraymax is a 2 part urethane; the crosslinking chemicals in it will also quite gladly crosslink with the bronchia (sp?) in your lungs and give you permanent breathing problems. Wear a good spray mask - not the POS little fabric white ones - gloves and other protective gear and use it in a well-ventilated area - or even mooch someone's spray booth when you spray.
Pat

pacomotorstuff said:
Just remember that Spraymax is a 2 part urethane; the crosslinking chemicals in it will also quite gladly crosslink with the bronchia (sp?) in your lungs and give you permanent breathing problems. Wear a good spray mask - not the POS little fabric white ones - gloves and other protective gear and use it in a well-ventilated area - or even mooch someone's spray booth when you spray.
Pat

+1, take this seriously. The spraymax is excellent, but also deadly. Googles, paint suit covering all your skin, head, respirator properly sealed to your face, gloves tape your wrists. Don't fool around and make sure if you spray at home, no one is around, pets etc included. But it does a beautiful job and is tough as nails. I just sold my CX but it was ridden for 3 seasons without losing any gloss and I spilled gas on it at least every other fill up LOL.

Thanks for the heads up guys, placed my order and it was ended up like $260+ lol.
Now seems the color(lime green) was not available in rattle can and I ended up getting the Duplicolor Shop Match sublime green, I have a spray gun and a compressor(~40psi), don't know if that would work or I need some bigger compressor, but I will try it on a card first.

Most Duplicolor paints are lacquer. They are good paints and durable if 2K clear coated, but absolutely ZERO enamel under them! Make sure primers are all lacquer, too. You cane enamel over cured lacquer, but not the other way! I used Duplicolor Paint Shop dark green emerald metalic and love the final color, but it was a bear to get all of the enamel (including Honda 40 year-old acrylic enamel) off to prevent problems, and I still have one that I've decided to live with.

Yep, what Pid Said^^^ make sure you use the correct primers for the lacquer. they lay well and look great and the 2K will work over it and protect it very well, but if you have enamel on the parts or use the wrong primer it will wrinkle on you and not cure right. Ask me how I know LOL. Good news is if you got the Duplicolor shop match primer with the colour you are fine.

I used Eastwood 2K products and am very happy. If you don’t use a two part paint them any gas and solvent will ruin the finish.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Attachments

• IMG_9648.JPG
    IMG_9648.JPG
    287.8 KB · Views: 277
Where do epoxy based paints rank in terms of durability? Better or worse than lacquer/enamel/etc?

jordandogtown said:
Where do epoxy based paints rank in terms of durability? Better or worse than lacquer/enamel/etc?
Urethanes are the most durable and UV resistant. Epoxies have the best chemical resistance. Lacquers have the best shine, but they are the least durable and require many more coats for a finish.

Back
Top Bottom